JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have those and like them, but I usually double up the amount of water I put them in.
Yeah, that is what the reviews state.

I usually have at least several liters of water in my daily driver, and I am often sipping on water from a half liter of bottled water that is at least partially frozen. But if I got stuck somewhere on a hot day, it would be good to have an electrolyte solution.

Traveling through Idaho and Montana this summer, we came across a situation that we really haven't had to deal with, at least not very often. We've always been able to find a restaurant when we travel for weekend trips. Keep in mind, we are picky and will often choose to go hungry if our only choice is fast food, so that is on us, but we still get cranky. Even in small towns across Nor Cal, Nevada, Utah, you can always seem to find a restaurant/diner of some sort and get a meal. Not so in the Inland Northwest. Many places are closed on either Monday or Tuesday. A shortage of help has exacerbate the situation and many places are closing at 6 or 7 pm, or no longer serving breakfast.

So we have found it difficult at times to find food to eat. We have stuff in our GHBs, but it's just a couple of granola bars and pepperoni sticks. Nothing that you would want to have as a meal. We have an empty storage bin in the truck that we use to put dry goods in when we go camping and realized that we should keep it stocked with food at all times. We always have our pack kitchen with us, because our vehicle is used as an overlanding camping rig. 4x4 Chevy Bison with a rooftop tent and all the bells and whistles, but no food unless we are actually taking a trip. What were we thinking?

Over the past week or two, I've stocked that bin with paper bowls, plastic wear, granola, shelf stable almond milk, cups of oatmeal that you put hot water in, several packs of quality jerky, fig newtons, skinny pop, fritos and canned bean dip, canned chili, crackers. Any other ideas of stuff that is both yummy and non-perishable?

This is also helping me with my anxiety of not having all of my food preps with me while we are living the RV gypsy life for the next couple of years. All of my stuff is in N. Idaho, but short of a full-scale quickly-escalating breakdown or a grid-down event, we can make our way north if things start looking bad, and if we need to, ditch the motorhome and take just the truck and it's mostly ready to bug out. Now that there is a few meals of food in it, I feel better in case that needs to happen quickly.

I like to keep some MH freeze dried meals in my daily driver for emergencies. Either if the car gets stuck in the snow and I am stranded for a few days, or if I need to abandon the car and walk home from some place in the woods/etc. Water too naturally. I also like to have snacks/etc. Always keep at least a day or two worth of my heart meds in the car.

I carry condensed, hard food packets and sealed water pouches in every vehicle. Not tasty, but enough to keep me going a couple weeks. Mostly because I've fasted a couple of weeks this year and it isn't very difficult. Could probably function w/o water for four days also.

Traveling through Idaho and Montana this summer, we came across a situation that we really haven't had to deal with, at least not very often. We've always been able to find a restaurant when we travel for weekend trips. Keep in mind, we are picky and will often choose to go hungry if our only choice is fast food, so that is on us, but we still get cranky. Even in small towns across Nor Cal, Nevada, Utah, you can always seem to find a restaurant/diner of some sort and get a meal. Not so in the Inland Northwest. Many places are closed on either Monday or Tuesday. A shortage of help has exacerbate the situation and many places are closing at 6 or 7 pm, or no longer serving breakfast.

So we have found it difficult at times to find food to eat. We have stuff in our GHBs, but it's just a couple of granola bars and pepperoni sticks. Nothing that you would want to have as a meal. We have an empty storage bin in the truck that we use to put dry goods in when we go camping and realized that we should keep it stocked with food at all times. We always have our pack kitchen with us, because our vehicle is used as an overlanding camping rig. 4x4 Chevy Bison with a rooftop tent and all the bells and whistles, but no food unless we are actually taking a trip. What were we thinking?

Over the past week or two, I've stocked that bin with paper bowls, plastic wear, granola, shelf stable almond milk, cups of oatmeal that you put hot water in, several packs of quality jerky, fig newtons, skinny pop, fritos and canned bean dip, canned chili, crackers. Any other ideas of stuff that is both yummy and non-perishable?

This is also helping me with my anxiety of not having all of my food preps with me while we are living the RV gypsy life for the next couple of years. All of my stuff is in N. Idaho, but short of a full-scale quickly-escalating breakdown or a grid-down event, we can make our way north if things start looking bad, and if we need to, ditch the motorhome and take just the truck and it's mostly ready to bug out. Now that there is a few meals of food in it, I feel better in case that needs to happen quickly.
Sailor boy pilot bread crackers. Give them a try at home first, if your not familiar, or haven't had them in years.

2lb single sleeve boxes currently available on Amazon at $9.68.

Supposedly the recipe has changed. Not long-term storage, however packed well (foodsaver or similar) likely a few years. Perhaps Mylar & O2 absorbed to extend beyond a few years, dunno tho. We like them on occasion with quick snacks / breakfasts / mini-meals.

Tuna flat packs of flavors you've tried. Nut butters of your liking. Spam flat packs (if you all enjoy Spam).

***Walkers oat cakes, however they usually run around 6-8 months best by dating. Plus are a bit fragile anyways, so could see them being a crumble of oats instead of a cake if stored in the vehicle for 6 months. Another super quick option over oatmeal though & tasty with PB&J/nutella etc.

***Edit: NB! Just checked our pantry. They are Walkers Highland Oat Crackers (I call them Oat Cakes, but they are pressed & dry, cracker-ish/buscuit-ish). Had a few with my coffee now as well. Yum. There are several varieties of oat crackers IIRC.

Can get them by the box from Walkers USA, or by the case of 6 boxes (as we do). Walkers USA has promo's & such if you get on their e-mail. Not too bothersome spam mail wise either.

Last Edited:
_nc_ohc=tbxMiOHXbIkAX-u3dP4&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

I like to keep some MH freeze dried meals in my daily driver for emergencies. Either if the car gets stuck in the snow and I am stranded for a few days, or if I need to abandon the car and walk home from some place in the woods/etc. Water too naturally. I also like to have snacks/etc. Always keep at least a day or two worth of my heart meds in the car.
That's a good idea. I hadn't considered the MH individual bags. Most of them are fairly tasty.

Tuna flat packs of flavors you've tried. Nut butters of your liking. Spam flat packs (if you all enjoy Spam).
Tuna flat packs and nut butters are a good idea. I've seen them in individual packets.

It doesn't need to be long term storage, but it does need to be something desireable for us to eat. A couple of months shelf life is good enough. I'm pretty good about rotating food out. Spam is not an option, LOL. Neither is condensed high-calorie, high-protein slabs of tasteless, chalky who knows what. We just won't eat it unless we are literally starving. I'm looking for an alternative for when we can't get a warm meal. We can almost always hit a convenience store for donuts, candy bars, or trail mix, but were looking for something, IDK, handier and healthier?

Tuna flat packs and nut butters are a good idea. I've seen them in individual packets.

It doesn't need to be long term storage, but it does need to be something desireable for us to eat. A couple of months shelf life is good enough. I'm pretty good about rotating food out. Spam is not an option, LOL. Neither is condensed high-calorie, high-protein slabs of tasteless, chalky who knows what. We just won't eat it unless we are literally starving. I'm looking for an alternative for when we can't get a warm meal. We can almost always hit a convenience store for donuts, candy bars, or trail mix, but were looking for something, IDK, handier and healthier?
Give the Sailor Boy Pilot breads a try, at home.

Pretty decent & rather filling. Dry tho, so do best with spreads or with soup & such.

IF you like them, then they would be the perfect fit for an addition to a 6 month rotation vehicle kit. I'd imagine.

Might remove having to supplement from a convenience store is all.

Of course, if you don't like them, they're no good to you all.

Funny - lard and butter are so much better for a person than soy oils, Pam, and all the rest. Learned that from Butter Bob Briggs. Helped me lose a ton of weight. Crisco was death in a can but was still being pimped as healthy for 105 years.

I bought what's listed in the link. Been having truck battery trouble so I bought it. It's an item I think I'll use quite often.

I bought a similar one from Costco. For such a small battery, it really works well. I bought one for my sister and she called to thank me when her truck battery was dead. They hold a charge for a long time, unlike lead-acid jump starters. Starts my 93 f-250 460 ci dead battery every time.

The ones that Costco sells now are not the same and do not work nearly as well - don't buy.

Put a new chain on the saw - wanted to get some wood cut instead of messing around sharpening a dull chain. Cut up some logs - so nice cutting with a new chain, it just goes right thru. Trying to be careful about not hitting dirt or rocks. Tomorrow I will cut some more, split and load it in the pickup. If I have time I will stack it on the porch - if not I will cover it up until next week. Supposed to rain tomorrow night.

Dehydrated, vacuum sealed, then froze (the troika of it ain't going bad) a flat of super perfect organic pears that my brother had picked off his pear tree. The best kind of fruit. Someone else picked it and it was free:)

Recently:

Rotated (into the garden) our water. Rinsed 'em out, refilled and added bleach. Good till next spring.

water1.jpg

Exercise is going well, notwithstanding f'ing up my shoulder a couple of weeks ago. Lifted for the first time last weekend, felt alright. Solicited a gym last week, weights only, and may join. (I don't do gyms, but coaching is a thing so...)

Picked up another stack of #10 cans. Not much, but a 25-30 year shelf life means not needing to rotate. So just adding to the pile.

Last thing: did a drill yesterday with 2x12 round mags. Can consistently hit a man sized target 3 times in the chest area from 35 feet with my EDC subcompact 9 presenting from concealment (condition 2) in... I don't know, untimed. Pretty quickly. At the range. Under pressure? If that happens we'll see how urine running down my leg affects my aim.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top