JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm planning to go through the pantry this weekend, make a large shopping list.

from https://forwardobserver.com/

Destruction and power outages are plaguing Louisiana's shipping industry. Food giant Cargill reported extensive damage to grain export facilities, while many terminals remain closed. China is already shifting October grain purchases to Brazil. Additionally, a 75-mile stretch of the Mississippi River is closed to shipping traffic due to grounded barges and sunken vessels. Officials say some of these problems could persist for weeks. Meanwhile, global wheat crop estimates were slashed, helping to push global food prices higher. (Analyst Comment: High food prices always pose the risk of civil unrest. Grain prices were the prime accelerator leading up to the 2010-2012 Arab Spring, for instance. I continue to see predictions of U.S. food shortages this year, and have read many reports of large chain stores running low on some food products. While I don't expect catastrophic shortages to occur outside a significant shock, limited selection and lower supplies will likely persist into next year. As always, our advice is to stock up sooner rather than later in case conditions worsen. - M.S.)

We donated and gifted some more household and food items here.

We have always rotated frozen and non frozen food so nothing (Zero!) from the freezer and pantry spoils or goes to waste. Some friends can use the food and the rest goes to a shelter and/or food bank.

We are going through some clothing items but we don't have a lot there to donate/gift.

A few more films and books will go to the county library.

We are going though the large/deep freezer and using up - eating that food. We still have a way to go there. NOT a lot but it is not empty yet.

Normal rotation of First Aid supplies.

Lab work was done on my husband and some of his Rx meds changed. I don't need or take any Rx meds.

Vitamins/minerals are freshly stocked. Aspirin, etc.

Usual exercise for both of us. I am still using a cane on and off.

We do NOT 'stock up' like some of you do in ALL things when it comes to man made or weather related emergencies.

My husband reloaded some 30-30 Winchester and 30-06 ammunition in the last 2 weeks too.

There are the regular trips to the range for enjoyment and keeping up skills. More for him than for me.

I am doing more paperwork, shredding, etc.

I may have an old friend come from back east to visit us next week or so depending on his work schedule. He may have to go to somewhere close to Portland, Oregon with his new company.

I have not seen him since a couple of months after my late husband died back east many years ago. It will be a work trip for him but I hope that we can have more than one nice meal together. Go to the range or take a drive but his job involves driving and making TIME!

Look at what those people LOST in the fires, floods and other disasters. Ugh.

We are running the generator here, in town for now, on a regular basis - same old - same old. Nothing different there. (I did it back east in blizzard country with strange weather year round too. Super rural - boonies there.)

As my late husband said, "S, eerrr, poop happens in war, peace, life and in death - DEAL with it!"

Cate

And meanwhile the CHIP SHORTAGE and other crapola happens because dumb Americans and greedy companies along with ALL KINDS of people did NOT PLAN for all kinds of shortages due to OUTSOURCING and many types of weather issues including weather MANIPULATION continues.

Cate

FLOUR shortages continue nationwide - 2021. NOT just in late 2019 and in all of 2020.

There are many shortages from a to z (NOT only in food.) going on so you gals/guys can look them up.

I did read that Costco and other stores are putting limits on some items again too. Sometimes you are finding ZERO IN STOCK when it comes to specific items when you physically visit the stores. NOT just for you guys/gals who shop online only. We do NO online shopping like that for food, etc.

It was in some financial and business news - national/international ONLINE real news (NOT forums.) and on some of their store websites too.

Now some stores are putting up special hours ALL OVER AGAIN due to the 'virus bs' and more propaganda.

FEAR sells with the virus crapola. Another time - another thread.

The NEW NORMAL salami continues - the great RESET.

Some places never opened again. CLOSED UP.

Some places never had regular hours again. CLOSED UP front offices and only do online or in the mail.

Some places, the media and 'leaders' continue to brainwash the masses and it is like Americans lost any sense of common sense, true critical thinking as in follow the money and connect the dots plus their brains shrunk some more.

This is NOT what America should be but as my older brother says, "IT is what it is unfortunately."

The WEATHER will continue and already has made HUGE changes when it comes to supply lines.

Another TIMBER MILL CLOSED UP here in Montana too.

But continue to buy lumber from Canada! LOL Geeze Louise!

PEOPLE, small and large companies, NEED PEOPLE TO WORK. STORES ARE BEGGING FOR HELP. You name it!

I could give a list of what we have seen in the last several months but it would be too long to type.

Meanwhile the BUILD IT (FAR LEFT SJW and COMMIE CROWD in Montana and across this country.) and THEY (Bums, criminal and non criminal transients, so called homeless, etc.) WILL COME for freebies continues. The leeches on society - don't get me started. Ugh.

Hand UP - yes. Hand OUT all of the time - NO.

Cate

Last Edited:
Lots of odds and ends today:

• Ordered 240-rounds of Korean .30 Carbine ammunition.
  • Rust proofed some new carbine magazines.
  • Weather treated some leather goods (e.g., sling, shoes, etc.)
  • Picked up a replacement pocket knife and torch lighters.
  • Repaired the roof on our Kawasaki MULE. (I use that vehicle for a ton of stuff on our property, but it has been kind of high maintenance lately.)
  • Finished the last of the "pre-crap weather" maintenance on the vehicles that I do each year.
  • Bought locally and ordered online a bunch of canned items to replenish what was used or jettisoned earlier in the year. (The latter was mainly tinned mackerel. I've been eating less red meat and more fish lately.)
(Ordered the wife an emerald belly ring. Not really preps, but she made a passing comment she'd like one, so why not whilst doing the rest. Haha.)

:s0155:

My husband and I cleaned the house BIG time and moved some things OUT of the house.

We moved some things in other areas while preparing for a move (?) or winter here.

We need to do some more work in the den/gun room but we ran out of time. LOL

Cate

Put a new roof on my jeep, winter is comming and my old roof ripped this summer.

Shopping for good deals to use for myself or for resale

Social time with like minded friends is probably the most important prep but it's my turn to buy comming up. :confused:

I am acquiring more supplies for the Fall and Winter.

from https://forwardobserver.com/ today:

Supply chain disruptions continue to impact manufacturers. From automotive semiconductors to door lock components, a combination of shortages and bottlenecks are affecting countries across the world. Lack of workers and "overwhelmed transportation networks" are pushing some companies to secure supplies by buying their own shipping vessels. Durable good inventories rose by 12% last month as items remain in-production. (AC: The big three automakers have thousands of unsold vehicles waiting for components, sitting in airport parking lots or staged at nearby race tracks. The shortages and product availability issues are expected to worsen this fall. Should the global security situation change, expect current disruptions to pale in comparison. -D.M.)
What is your opinion the quality of their services? Worth the subscription?

from a http://forwardobserver.com free email this morning:

The Logistics Managers Index (LMI) report for August indicates a "downward trajectory" for transportation capacity while prices continue to increase. The report said, "It will be interesting to see how much longer supply chains can take this type of pressure — especially given that peak season is just beginning." Transportation capacity has contracted for 15 consecutive months as depleted inventories and port disruptions keep capacity stretched. (AC: The report predicts a massive market correction, but not before carriers are overwhelmed to meet holiday consumer demands. The global logistics backlog is expected to continue for another 12-18 months as capacity expands. - D.M.)

Bought a Ruger 1:9 10/22 twist barrel so I can finally play with 60 grain 22lr through a suppressor. Didn't get the memo about five years ago and used a 1:16 barrel and messed up a 9mm suppressor core.

Bought a bunch of flour at BiMart
FWIW They have a variety of Red Mill flour at $2.50/5 lb bag
as compared to $6.99 at Safeway

We're juicing grapes today. Some for drinking, and some for making jelly.

D0DCA9BC-60DE-49D4-ADE9-E765A195874E.jpeg

28D6B231-1D00-4DAF-8E5D-2B5ABA0E0CB0.jpeg

A6E1DF3B-60A0-493F-BC4D-5FE021F38C2B.jpeg

7C2FB38D-DD62-47D5-9410-78E49D4587DF.jpeg

BB92B1C2-2DD6-482E-9621-63A42C94F893.jpeg

E736EDF9-75D9-46F9-B172-BB19CA1C3559.jpeg

Last Edited:
Got another month's supply of heart/BP meds. Guesstimating I have 3-4 months of most meds, more of one or two others.

Ordered one of those speedloaders for 9mm & .40 that has a clip that loads from the ammo box, then stuffs them into a mag. If that works well then I will get one for rifle calibers.

I waste too much time here but did manage to can 13 pints of homemade salsa. Chopping onions and jalapeños wasn't fun but got through it with no tears. Made from fresh local ingredients with all the natural good things vegetables offer, its good spice to prep.

For your consideration relative to prices:

Grocery prices are headed higher later this year, according the U.S.'s largest supermarket by sales.

Cincinnati-based Kroger Co., which had $132 billion in sales last year, says inflation is running hotter than management previously anticipated and that expectations are now for prices to rise 2% to 3% over the second half of this year.

Kroger is "passing along higher cost to the customer where it makes sense to do so," said CFO Gary Millerchip on the company's second-quarter earnings call on Friday.

Management at Kroger rival Albertsons Companies Inc. earlier this summer expressed similar concerns that inflation would pick up in the second half of the year and that they too would pass some of those increased costs along to consumers.

Cutting/splitting firewood.

The difference a new chain makes in cutting the logs is very satisfying. I am waiting to see how long it lasts if I keep it out of the dirt this time around. Either way I will probably buy at least a couple more to have on hand for emergencies (when, not if, trees fall across the road - a common occurrence up here).

Also ordered more meds. It appears that when you get down to the last refill before renewing the script, they let you order early. Now I probably need to make a doc appt to get the scripts renewed, but I will have about 4-5 months of meds due to the overlap of refills.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top