JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Did some function/accuracy/sight-in testing with my CZ 527 carbine. Unfortunately it was only at 30 yards, but it is on target - need to test it at 100 yards, but at least it will hit on target at the most likely distance on my property.

Tested the .22 conversion on my SIG 226 two tone. It didn't like Rem golden - fail to feed/fire a number of times. Blazer was better, but still some failures. For some reason both had a problem setting off the first round in a mag - second try set it off - maybe I need to clean it - maybe the firing pin is sticking?

Going to try Stingers/etc. to see if hotter ammo works better.

Was sitting there shooting and noticed either a mouse or gopher trying to dig up thru the ground, so I sent about 20 shots down into the ground to dissuade it from further above ground activity.

Updated my ammo inventory list, I actually have twice the ammo for .40 I thought I had. I was pretty sure I had ordered some HST and I did a search in my email and found the order. Then all I had to do was search to find the actual ammo. I found it. I have plenty - about 1100 rounds, which I consider plenty for a backup self-defense handgun (primary for the three of us is the Five Seven for which I have 5K rounds as we have both pistol and PS90s for our primary GHB/BOB guns).

I do need to get some .40 Blazer practice ammo though - only have a few boxes of that.

Did some research on what to use in the 224 for .40 and decided the 180 gr HST or Win BJHP was fine - both have the same velocity of many of the lighter bullet ammo (165 gr) - about 1K fps, and work well in any of my SIGs. Not going to try 135 gr as while it is faster, it is about the same as 9mm +P or +P+.

My lows are .45-70 (only about 40-50 rounds), .45LC/.454/.460, .223 ball (practice ammo), .308 self-defense ammo (I have plenty of ball ammo), .410 and 7.62x39 self-defense (plenty of ball ammo). Not too worried about .45-70 or .45LC/et. al. - those are for hunting not defense.

Do you keep an inventory of your ammo so you know what you have and don't have - what you may not have enough for?

I still need to do more inventory and find where some of the ammo went to when I moved - especially the special ammo (tracer, etc.). I am trying to put it into ammo cans and put it in one place so I don't lose track of it again. If SHTF I would have problems finding it if I didn't.

Last Edited:
Found 2K of 7.62x51 ball ammo in "body bags" (sealed rubber battle packs).

Didn't find the ~3K of 7.62x39 ball ammo I have somewhere yet. Sure hope that didn't get lost in the moves. Not sure how that would happen. :oops::eek:

Found my special ammo - tracer/etc.

Last Edited:
We always update our RF ammunition, a VERY small amount of CF factory ammunition and my MT husband's reloading supplies.

(I did that back east with my late husband too. My late husband and I did not reload. I still do not reload and mainly shoot 22lr now.)

Right now, he is shooting 5 days a week compared to 3 to 4 times per week.

His gym/pool/track may finally open with BIG restrictions NEXT Friday if they finally follow the Governor's orders and NOT this ! county's orders! Don't get me started on the county now! LOL Even when the gym FINALLY does open, he will still shoot 3 to 4 times per week.

He is downsizing some more in his firearms, some other reloading supplies and updating some other items when it comes to HIS shooting habits as he ages.

We gifted some factory ammunition to a HARD HIT family business that finally opened with severe RESTRICTIONS this past week. The owners are people that we know well and they are into guns. RKBA, self defense, hunting, etc. They taught their children well too. They do not have a LOT of guns but they do have several guns.

He has some other factory ammo in mind for another gift to a hard hit person too.

Side note: Some grocery stores still have shortages in some items but that is for another thread.

My husband did VISIT 2 gun stores briefly on Thursday afternoon. He wanted to check on a few things. He did not visit a whole bunch of stores. In and out of 2 stores after he got home from the range shooting. He cleaned some guns too.

Cate

Picked up a bunch of burger to can next week with some beans. Will do it again early next week to can some marinara meat sauce for spaghetti. Worked out. 45 min cardio 30 min weights.

Got my Condor 'battle belt' yesterday. It fits into the loops on my OD ripstop cargo work pants. Plenty stiff to hold a holster and loaded handgun. Even my Perry suspenders work with it so I am pleased with that. Not going to work with a number of things though as its width is 2" so the scabbards for many of my knives won't fit.

Got holsters that I ordered from field supply. Have not tested those holsters yet, but the LH (for SIL) slide holster for 229/226 seems to work. The 227 is too tight for it despite the package saying it would work for a 220 (same slide as the 227) - which is not a surprise - the holster itself is marked for 226/228/229, not 220. When you buy holsters on sale like that sometimes you get mis-marked packages (I got one that was supposed to work for SIGs but no SIG will fit it, I think it is for a Glock).

Tested the Mk 25 with the Rem 115 gr JHP defense ammo - tested three different mags - mags and ammo work fine.

Still looking for an allen wrench to fit the lasers - both of them point 3-5" to the right of actual POI as far as I can tell.

Got my Condor 'battle belt' yesterday. It fits into the loops on my OD ripstop cargo work pants. Plenty stiff to hold a holster and loaded handgun. Even my Perry suspenders work with it so I am pleased with that. Not going to work with a number of things though as its width is 2" so the scabbards for many of my knives won't fit.

Got holsters that I ordered from field supply. Have not tested those holsters yet, but the LH (for SIL) slide holster for 229/226 seems to work. The 227 is too tight for it despite the package saying it would work for a 220 (same slide as the 227) - which is not a surprise - the holster itself is marked for 226/228/229, not 220. When you buy holsters on sale like that sometimes you get mis-marked packages (I got one that was supposed to work for SIGs but no SIG will fit it, I think it is for a Glock).

Tested the Mk 25 with the Rem 115 gr JHP defense ammo - tested three different mags - mags and ammo work fine.

Still looking for an allen wrench to fit the lasers - both of them point 3-5" to the right of actual POI as far as I can tell.
I have every size of allen wrench made. they all are different sizes even if they say the same size. I bought a 200 piece set that has hex, torx, flat head and phillips heads and even the torx with the hole in the middle. If one doesn't fit snugly, I have a dozen others rated the same size but subtly different.

If you get near St Helens, let me know and I can fix you up.

I have every size of allen wrench made. they all are different sizes even if they say the same size. I bought a 200 piece set that has hex, torx, flat head and phillips heads and even the torx with the hole in the middle. If one doesn't fit snugly, I have a dozen others rated the same size but subtly different.

If you get near St Helens, let me know and I can fix you up.

I have several sets, including I think one that came with the laser/light, but I am so disorganized that I can't find it. I have no excuse - I need to get off my posterior and organize/inventory everything. If SHTF right now I would be lost.

Got my Condor 'battle belt' yesterday. It fits into the loops on my OD ripstop cargo work pants. Plenty stiff to hold a holster and loaded handgun. Even my Perry suspenders work with it so I am pleased with that. Not going to work with a number of things though as its width is 2" so the scabbards for many of my knives won't fit...

More of a pistol belt vs a "battle belt", yes? Or just semantics on my part?

In my mind a battle belt is something you can grab and throw on over whatever your wearing pretty fast. Even over a jacket, if the weather requires such. Or if time doesn't permit just over shoulder it & we'd still have at hand what'd be needed.

Our "battle belts" are setup with rifle mag pouches, pistol mag pouches, pistol holster & a dump pouch.

Still working on setting up reasonable simple IFAKS for them tho.

Setting up the belts, and training with them so they're useable and habit forming takes a good bit of time.

Mind, I have zero envisionings of going "into battle"...

They're just another tool in the toolbox. Also great for range fun.

Ok - senior moment. Condor calls it a 'tactical belt':

71hawGvzIML._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I can wear it on the outside of my jacket (I tried), but I wanted a stiff belt for holsters, and to wear with my work pants (not the jeans I wear to the office, but durable pants I wear to work on the property):

apiie2bex__39507.1581671542.jpg

These are heavy duty ripstop. I am going to make them into 'tin cloth' as soon was the weather warms up.

Anyway, I bought the belt to see if I wanted more like it. I have a harness with a hydration pack, a fanny pack and some molle areas I put together, but it needs a belt. My kids also need some pistol belts. So I am going to get some more of these and probably one of their "battle belts" too.

Ok - senior moment. Condor calls it a 'tactical belt':

View attachment 696388

I can wear it on the outside of my jacket (I tried), but I wanted a stiff belt for holsters, and to wear with my work pants (not the jeans I wear to the office, but durable pants I wear to work on the property):

View attachment 696389

These are heavy duty ripstop. I am going to make them into 'tin cloth' as soon was the weather warms up.

Anyway, I bought the belt to see if I wanted more like it. I have a harness with a hydration pack, a fanny pack and some molle areas I put together, but it needs a belt. My kids also need some pistol belts. So I am going to get some more of these and probably one of their "battle belts" too.

Condor makes some pretty decent stuff at a great value.

One of our go to "battle belts" is setup around a Condor LCS belt (the $30ish one, not the $70ish one) .

Surprised me how well it works, but it has to do with how the "sticky type stuff" on the inner side holds it where we wear it. So on that one don't need the over sized/weight lifter type kidney belt.

Not as comfortable as the oversized padded weight lifter type kidney belt rigs for super long range days tho. Can add on that type of belt to it, just haven't, as we have a few setups as such.

However highly recommend the $30ish Condor LCS belt to anyone interested in setting up a simple starter 2 gun belt or grab & go belt.

Yucky poo.

No 'A' foods for me (Anchovies, Asparagus or Artichokes)

It probably wouldn't be prudent to mention last week I bought a bit of jarred artichoke hearts ... :p

(Don't worry; if the balloon ever goes up and you need to hole up here, we have a supply of more normal fare too. If we didn't I am fairly certain my beloved wife would have disowned me by now. Well wishes, my friend.)

Tuned up holsters
Updated ammo stock (I use Sheets and save to a thumb drive, also have a paper hard copy)
Updated Pantry stock (same)
Planted some food (kinda hoping the neighbor kid goes after the Serranos again this year; last hear he grabbed one of the bush, chomped it, started crying, then rubbed his eyes! Parents blamed me. Another story)
Getting set up to sprout Tomato seeds
Cleaned/Lubed pistols; will do Rifles/Shotguns tomorrow
Been busy.

Tested the 227 Tactical with the TLR-2 HLG

The laser puts the POA about 6" higher than POI. Maybe an inch or two to the left.

Noticed the significantly increased recoil over both .40 and 9mm

With this gun, I am slower with the laser, but I need to practice to see which is better, laser or iron sights. Either way, the .45 is slower for me than the 9mm and the .40 - I need to practice with it more.

I also noticed thread protector kept loosening even though I tightened it with my hands. Going to have to think about that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top