JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Costco Hillsboro 20# organic whole wheat flour vacuum packed flour. $15

Hard as a rock, so I assume it is probably packed well. I bought a 'bag' of it, even though I almost never use flour. I assume this will last quite a while - 20 pounds is a lot of flour.

Last Edited:
With the COVID-19 talk I decided to stock up on basic supplies for at least month at home if needed. My wife and I are older so if we get it, it would not be good. I work from home so I can lock my self in for a long time if needed.
I am talking about basic comforts, not true survival goods. Save the Mountain House stash for when the zombies come
Last Saturday I went to the Tigard Costco and they were out of TP. So I went yesterday on Friday thinking I would beat the weekend rush. They were out of TP, PT, Rice and dry pasta. I did pick up extra dog food for my pup.
Found TP and PT at Walmart, shelves were 3/4 empty, but they still had. We had bunch already, but if it is not avail for a month or two before the virus gets bad enough to stay at home, we would need more. I am now good on TP, PT and Kleenix for months.
Also hit up other stores and stocked up on regular food, rice, pasta, pasta sauce, juice, nuts, cookies, pudding cups and other comfort foods. Being from Hawaii, we like Spam and already have a good stash of that.
Tomorrow the wife is going to stock up on meat that we can freeze, canned and frozen veggies.
I will hit the liquor store to build up the bar supply. ;)
These are all things that we normally use and will eventually use even if the virus magically goes away tomorrow.
Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Last Edited:
Yeah, I noticed the Costco in Hillsboro had no TP - but I was there to get Kleenex, not TP - I had plenty of the latter already, although I would have bought some if they had it - you can never have too much.

Last night I got some Nissin shrimp Pad Thai meals at Winco - 66 cents each. About like the cup of soup meals you can buy for 40 cents, but much better tasting (not near as salty), and they have little bits of shrimp in them.

e35f5a3677ec630555f2d2426e2a9528.jpg

Next time I go in I will buy all of them. I like the flavor. I added some yellow curry past to it and that was even better. A nice diversion from other foods, store well (assuming you hide them from pests) and only take hot water to prepare.

Costco Hillsboro 20# organic whole wheat flour vacuum packed flour. $15

Hard as a rock, so I assume it is probably packed well. I bought a 'bag' of it, even though I almost never use flour. I assume this will last quite a while - 20 pounds is a lot of flour.

Sounds interesting!

Keep ideas in the back of your mind on what you can do with it tho. Church pantry donation, soup kitchen etc before it's best by dating.

What is it's best by dating? If you have a chance to take a look see.

White flour will normally last a year at room temp, double ish or so chilled/frozen.

Whole wheat flour normally much less so. Like 6 months.

If it has extended life due to its packaging, would be a handy to have. Gift to neighbors who bake, give directly to less fortunate in the event food pantry's closed/not reasonably safe to get to etc. Any number of reasons.

It is wheat from India, but I buy Indian Basmati rice all the time.

I doubt I will ever use this - I don't bake, and I like the idea of giving it to a pantry/etc. when it gets close to best by and then get another - maybe. I might keep it in the freezer instead - that would keep it basically forever. Brown rice is supposed to expire after six months but I have brown rice that is just fine for a lot longer than that.

Some of my amazon order arrived today. A one pound bag of dried veggies, one pound bag of dried celery flakes and a five pound bag of Krusty's pancake mix (just add water).

IMG_20200307_153133.jpg

Picked up half a dozen shelf-stable 1/2 gallons of almond milk along with some additional flu meds, Costco pack of tissue and 4 pounds of coffee. I have a couple of things of powdered Gatorade already, I figured it would come in handy for something to drink besides water if SHTF. However, I ordered 3 big cans from Amazon and they arrived yesterday. If one or both of us do happen to end up with this sickness and are quarantined, I want to make sure we have supplies for the sickness already.

Last Edited:
Sounds interesting!

Keep ideas in the back of your mind on what you can do with it tho. Church pantry donation, soup kitchen etc before it's best by dating.

What is it's best by dating? If you have a chance to take a look see.

White flour will normally last a year at room temp, double ish or so chilled/frozen.

Whole wheat flour normally much less so. Like 6 months.

If it has extended life due to its packaging, would be a handy to have. Gift to neighbors who bake, give directly to less fortunate in the event food pantry's closed/not reasonably safe to get to etc. Any number of reasons.

We do that with some of our food supplies that we normally eat.

(We do it with other things like warm socks, new underwear, some clothing, soap, tooth paste and brushes, paper supplies, towels, sheets and blankets too.)

We buy X amount of food. We normally give to a church, charity, shelter or to the food bank. (We stopped giving to 2 other places too.) We eat so much of the food that we buy on a regular basis. If it looks like some food item is close to a expired date in frozen or canned or in dry goods... we GIVE IT to a Veteran, a needy friend, a senior citizen or two of them that we know well, to a family or to one of the designated CAUSES that we normally support.

We have a chest freezer in the super insulated/ temp controlled garage and a designated pantry in the house.

If we rotate our food properly... nothing goes to waste. Plus we can BUY new food for our causes on a regular basis and take that down to the CAUSE of the month. We don't or rarely write a check to any group. They get it in GOODS.

We don't deduct it off of our taxes anyway (Donation check or donated goods.) because we would have given it to someone in need or to a cause whether we could deduct it or not.

Cate

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top