JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
  • Picked up some tools from the farm supply to continue clearing more ground for growing. I will be hitting that tomorrow.

Woohoo, despite very hot weather, I got blackberry-zilla and surrounding finally done. Alas, I found a stump and part of a fallen tree under there, so I know the next chore before a greenhouse is in.

Got pretty much the last of the firewood put away, so we are set for a while.

Did some maintenance work on the gardening and yard equipment.

Did some web research for a new carry piece, but I didn't find what I was after. At least yet.

Whilst working down below, I encountered bear, eh, leavings, which confirms the better-half's (@TeacherSmurf) report last night that she heard a black bear poking around down there, but that is another story. ;)

Ordered a Magpul PRS stock for my RPR. Also a new grip, both in gray. Seekins hand guard is next.

Filled my 20 gal water jugs today

Will have the Ruger adjustable stock(black)for sale soon if interested. $100 (wrong forum I know)

We picked up a garmen etrex 10 on prime day and am going out with my better half next week to get familiar with it. She wants to get into Geo caching and I'm thinking that doing that will serve to get us familiar with the area and how to use the GPS unit (it can also use GLONASS satellites).

The biggest win out of this will be on the PT side of things. I've realized I'm seriously out of shape nowadays and in my current shape we would need to be using the "Tactical Wheelbarrow" method is we had to get somewhere on foot thats further than a block or two. It will also give me a chance to break in our packs and other gear.

We also got some quickclot, Israeli bandages, a cheap ultrafire 18650 flashlight, and two R.A.T.S (tourniquets).

As an aside does anyone know a cheap place to get Mountain House Granola with Milk and Blueberries? Either #10 cans or the individual packages. I was hoping to see them on sale on prime day but they had everything else on sale instead =(

I do believe the flash hider is threaded on. It's listed separately in the parts breakdown.
Ya the logo is going black or getting a patch. Hazardous materials or a depends patch might work. :)

If I have anything to do with Depends, then I'm out of the preparedness business (and probably take that .45 solution at that point). I'll just continue like everyone else: Fat-bubblegum, out of shape, in mediocre, NFL/NASCAR/Disneyland world, like the rest of this stupid-bubblegum culture.

Cutting up some trees that fell over the winter - one is a large maple tree with three trunks. The wood from that one tree alone would last a full winter - it is about 100 feet long and each trunk is 2'+ at the base (which seemed to be rotten which is probably why it fell during a wind storm).

This might already have been asked & answered - but does anyone here know the best way to store coffee beans?

I'm thinking of vacuum-sealing, and then freezing them.

We usually buy in quantity from Costco.

Anywhere from 30 to 45lb's at a time. But....we drink a whole heck of a lot, so they are kept in the original sealed 2 & 3lb bags.

Once we open a few bags & mix (do 1/2 decaf here), they are put into 1/2 gallon ball jars and that is dry packed (vacuum with a foodsaver attachement).

Room temp.

For a while I was spending the time re-packing the entire delivery into foodsaver bags with an O2 absorber & a desiccant (big a$$ long tubes!!), but got lazy with a shipment and didn't. Coffee quality didn't suffer, so that's why we just leave them in original bags.

-"Might" repack a bit of the next order, and get some extra, just because of concern over not having any available of a particular bean for the following order (Kirkland Rwandan is the bomb!- if you enjoy dark/oily, also makes for a wonderful espresso).

Anyways, in short, no realized benefit for us in general for repack.

I've never been a fan of freezing coffee beans, used to freeze a pound or few fresh ground, but now just fresh grind as need be. Also have several hand grinders as well as multiple methods to brew, so no concern here about power loss.

-Now- if your thinking on coffee for realy long term storage, either simply as a good value, or to put up for "hard times". I've read green coffee would be the way to go. The unroasted beans, then you'd just roast as needed. Forget exactly the storage time, but it was in years. In our climate we would likely be best served vacuum packing those due to humidity.

Second to that are the "big" cans of pre-ground. Around a year and a half shelf life stamped, but it's coffee, so I would wager it would be "safe" to brew for years after (if unopened). Decent value to put up a few cans, so we have.

We usually buy in quantity from Costco.

Anywhere from 30 to 45lb's at a time. But....we drink a whole heck of a lot, so they are kept in the original sealed 2 & 3lb bags.

Once we open a few bags & mix (do 1/2 decaf here), they are put into 1/2 gallon ball jars and that is dry packed (vacuum with a foodsaver attachement).

Room temp.

For a while I was spending the time re-packing the entire delivery into foodsaver bags with an O2 absorber & a desiccant (big a$$ long tubes!!), but got lazy with a shipment and didn't. Coffee quality didn't suffer, so that's why we just leave them in original bags.

-"Might" repack a bit of the next order, and get some extra, just because of concern over not having any available of a particular bean for the following order (Kirkland Rwandan is the bomb!- if you enjoy dark/oily, also makes for a wonderful espresso).

Anyways, in short, no realized benefit for us in general for repack.

I've never been a fan of freezing coffee beans, used to freeze a pound or few fresh ground, but now just fresh grind as need be. Also have several hand grinders as well as multiple methods to brew, so no concern here about power loss.

-Now- if your thinking on coffee for realy long term storage, either simply as a good value, or to put up for "hard times". I've read green coffee would be the way to go. The unroasted beans, then you'd just roast as needed. Forget exactly the storage time, but it was in years. In our climate we would likely be best served vacuum packing those due to humidity.

Second to that are the "big" cans of pre-ground. Around a year and a half shelf life stamped, but it's coffee, so I would wager it would be "safe" to brew for years after (if unopened). Decent value to put up a few cans, so we have.
I'm no professional about coffee but if it's unopened and vacuum sealed I'm going to say it will last a long time lol if the SHTF you won't care about your coffee you will just be happy you have some any kind lol

I had a little prepping practice Two weeks ago I think I posted it anyway me and my mom lived for 4 day's without power at the house lol flashlight 's and candles at night cooking on gas stove but that would be changed in a huge shut down no fridge or freezer so all my stuff in my freezer we ate cooked or through away in the first two days lol my point is we had Safeway down the street if we didn't could we survive YES BECAUSE I HAVE THE GEAR TO SURVIVE BUT I DIDN'T NEED TO USE IT THIS TIME but for how long is the QUESTION

Now that I think about it this could be a good topic shut off the power to your house for two days and see how it works we had gas to run the stove but had to light it with a match but that could be next test lol shut off power and gas mmmmmmmm I'm willing to try it lol

I'm no professional about coffee but if it's unopened and vacuum sealed I'm going to say it will last a long time lol if the SHTF you won't care about your coffee you will just be happy you have some any kind lol

Very true. However I don't honestly see a "real" SHTF/WROL situation happening. Putting stock up is just part of being frugal, so having coffee last "fresh" longer, while rotating it out for use is just a good idea (like any other foods).

Now, if SHTF/limited, having a nice good cup would be a treat.

If SHTF extended, having a nice good cup would be more than a treat.

If SHTF->WROL->TEOWKI? Coffee? Shux if we survive, and can have a cup of -non instant-coffee? Wouldn't say priceless, but oh my gosh what a treat it would be.

Very true. However I don't honestly see a "real" SHTF/WROL situation happening. Putting stock up is just part of being frugal, so having coffee last "fresh" longer, while rotating it out for use is just a good idea (like any other foods).

Now, if SHTF/limited, having a nice good cup would be a treat.

If SHTF extended, having a nice good cup would be more than a treat.

If SHTF->WROL->TEOWKI? Coffee? Shux if we survive, and can have a cup of -non instant-coffee? Wouldn't say priceless, but oh my gosh what a treat it would be.
I hate it when I wake up and there is no coffee I don't stock up on coffee I guess I should start lol yes rotation of stock is very important

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top