JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Put together this little number for the spousal unit's and my motorcycle gear (leathers, boots, coats, helemts) this AM. This allows faster access to the freedom tool storage bunker. I have to admit, I was pretty shocked at how well it looked and worked after assembly.

Assembly was relatively straight forward as were the instructions, too. A scenario I seldom find in today's "some assembly required" products. The locking casters (2) were a nice and smart touch. They even included an additional pair of plastic fittings. I am guessing in case the assembler broke one. Which I didn't! But when it said carefully press the rods with the plastic sleeves into the shelves I just had to use a rubber mallet, right?;) Cause tools are meant to be used.
Whitmor Commercial-Grade Steel Supreme Double Rod Garment Rack, Black

Brutus Out
Nice. Shelving/rackspace is important for us fashion-conscious types. In our case, it would be earth-tone GOR-TEX. Black is bad (not only for human vision, but light amp. & thermal night vision), but mine and the wife's helmets are in matte black, to blend into the contemporary environment. Flat OD green or coyote colored helmets would look pretty odd, and would tip our hand in the event of a sudden event.

Possible photo for book (2).jpg

Last Edited:
Thanks for the image. I'll need to build these myself, in the near future.

Your welcome, got the idea from another member posting up a pic though, so can't take credit.

If I recall correctly, that member used 16" wide boards doubled up as shelves though. Plus his cinder blocks must have been 10" high.

I went with $.99 6x8x16" blocks, then cut 2x4 the depth of each block, (15.5" nominal) for the extra shelf height.

I may board up the back of it with ply on hand, may not. Only if I put some ply (reinforced) doors on it would it be worthwhile. That way in a quak it would either slide as a unit, or tip over as a unit. Currently it would probably sheer and collapse...

Lost Power yesterday just before leaving for work came home power still out this morning got fire going . going to hook up generator and testout that system.

friends and family said oh no come stay with us but I am warm dry have food and pretty soon power will probably be restored.

Excuse the run on paragraph / sentence I am dictating this

I am totally disgusted with myself at this point

Starts with yesterday when I knew that the power went out I should have been charging my phone all day but I didn't I was too distracted with work

So I get home and the power still out and my phone battery is running low so I had to switch to the backup battery pack and then this morning after all the posting and texting my battery was running low again

So I decide to go out and get the generator hooked up to the house and fussed around with the chord and thought I had the wrong one then was ready to go into town and get the right one I was taking a picture of the outlet from the Gen set and figured out that I was trying to plug it into the wrong place so then I plugged in the court I had hooked it up to the house and tried to get the generator running but the circuit breaker kept tripping the ground fault circuit breaker

so now I know I need an electrician to come out and look at my setup and figure out why it is tripping the ground fault circuit breaker on the Gen set
:mad::oops:
Good thing this is not a serious emergency estimated time for power restoration is 10 p.m. tonight

I found an OD green headset that amplifies ambient sounds, shuts down to protect hearing, and.... and... pipes in sound from a Baofeng radio/mic.

One More thing to test on Monday; find out if the radio input will continue or shut down when the set shuts down during loud noises...Uninturrupted radio comms while loud noises are occurring is an imperative.....Other than that, it
works great; may be a 100% solution for less than $60.00

Last Edited:
I did learn a few things.

----

My emergency lighting.

I have four different kinds of in place emergency lighting that plug into wall sockets and turn on when the power goes out.

One of these I did not expect to last very long after the power went out, they have significantly smaller battery capacity than the others, but they lasted the longest (I think).

Capstone-Night-Light-Power-Failure-Light-Costco-3.jpg

I was without power for about 30 hours but they still gave off useful light until the power went back on. The LEDs in these lights are small and weak, but when it is dark they output enough light to move around the room, even when the batteries start to get weak. I have not seen the batteries, but they have to be small as this lighting is just a thin wall plate (about 0.25") that replaces the decorative outlet cover and plugs into one outlet. They also have a light sensor which reduces their power draw from the batteries. No motion sensor.

The other lights I have are all of the 'flashlight' kind, that either plug in (one) or set into a receptacle (all the rest). Several of them (sunbeam) look like this:

Motion-Activated-LED-Rechargeable-Emergency-Sensor-Light.jpg

And do not have an ambient light sensor - they come on when the power goes out or they sense motion. These did not last very long - maybe 16 to 20 hours before I turned them off.

These:

Capstone-4-Function-LED-Light-Costco-3.jpg

Lasted only about an hour, if that. They are the most useful for a short term flashlight that is always charged, but just do not have the staying power.

Nice. Shelving/rackspace is important for us fashion-conscious types. In our case, it would be earth-tone GOR-TEX. Black is bad (not only for human vision, but light amp. & thermal night vision), but mine and the wife's helmets are in matte black, to blend into the contemporary environment. Flat OD green or coyote colored helmets would look pretty odd, and would tip our hand in the event of a sudden event.

View attachment 354958

Few fabrics are as good as motorcycle quality leather, however, if you ever hit the pavement. Trust me, I went down at about 55-60. Long story short...I got up and rode 10 miles back to a motel I would have stopped at before the crash but their no vacancy was lit. Then the next day I duct taped my windshield together and rode 800 miles painful back home.:mad:

I have both leather and ballistic nylon gear but my motorcycle is for long distance cruising, not planned for bugging out. When we move to Idaho, a DR200 or similar will be on the bucket list.

Brutus Out

Yes, on-road and off-road protective motorcycle clothing is quite different. I have 'Stich on-road gear, but it does not work well off-road, too heavy and not breathable enough. Leather doesn't work well off-road either.

Off-road you want the most breathable and light fabrics with breathable armor over and/or under it. Like with hiking and other strenuous sports, you want to layer what you wear. It needs to be somewhat loose fitting so you can move easily. Trust me, real off-road riding (not riding on a dirt road, but riding on a trail) is hard work and you will be falling much of the time, especially at first as you learn (off-road is quite different from street riding) - whereas on the street you usually do not fall.

Real off-road boots (not hiking boots or anything like that) are important too. Knee/shoulder/elbow armor/pads are important. The helmet should be very vented and light with no face shield (wear vented goggles instead).

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top