JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ordered some tobacco seeds to grow yesterday. I'm eventually going to quit smoking, but even if I do, there is value in being able to grow it for trade.

Jack:

Do some research on growing tobacco. It is real persnickity. You need to just spread the seeds on top of some good media, keep it moist. Do not bury the seeds in media and do not direct seed them into native soils. The seeds are very small and the media needs to be very clean. I would try and start them in a small greenhouse or cold frame. You are a bit late in getting them going, but should still be able to get a crop. It responds to photo period and is one of those crops that likes lower latitudes.

Ordered some tobacco seeds to grow yesterday. I'm eventually going to quit smoking, but even if I do, there is value in being able to grow it for trade.

I'm growing some for my roommate currently. They are finicky but there are a few good videos on youtube on how to do it. To save you some time on research:

My background: Portland hippy vet dude with ducks, chickens, and gardenzilla. Yes I own and carry lots o guns for self protection and recreation and am not a sheeple liberal....

1. Start them indoors. Put them in starter grow mix and lightly water them. Be sure not to over water them. Having a heat mat under the growing medium is a good idea too and I would recommend getting one.

2. Once sprouted put them under a grow light... grow lights make things a lot easier

3. After they get to be decent size... About 4"s tall.. they can be transferred outside to a VERY SUNNY area. They like sun. They like it a lot.

4. Keep them watered and watch them hos grow

These instructions will get you started. Beyond this it gets a little bit more complicated... especially the drying process. Like I said before youtube has a lot of good info on there.

I'm doing hops and OTHER STUFF this year too ;)

Good luck :)

Recycled today.. Reduce, re-use, reload. image.jpg image.jpg

cleaned out big barn
split and moved firewood into said barn
will repeat tomorrow and then move splitter into barn which will then become my dedicated wood processing center while my small barn will be my dedicated lumber shed

Cut down some trees right next to the house.Neighbor called a buddy and told him to bring the chain saw cause he was tired of watching me with the sawzall,lol
I'll pick up my own chainsaw this week to finish cutting up the wood

Dude you need help.
I mean look how clean and organized that place is
Issues brother,you gots issues
That's my work bench, it had better be organized! It's also called OCD.. When you label the glass q-tip jar, Yah, they make meds for that...

You should see my small parts bins, labeled and organized by firearm, and part. Hell, I even have a glass jar full of marbles. The label reads "marbles for adding to stock oil finish jars so there is no air at the top and it doesn't dry out"...

But hey! When I die, the wife and kids will never play the "what the hell is this for" game!

That's my work bench, it had better be organized! It's also called OCD.. When you label the glass q-tip jar, Yah, they make meds for that...

You should see my small parts bins, labeled and organized by firearm, and part. Hell, I even have a glass jar full of marbles. The label reads "marbles for adding to stock oil finish jars so there is no air at the top and it doesn't dry out"...

But hey! When I die, the wife and kids will never play the "what the hell is this for" game!
hahahaha so that's where all your marbles went

Got wood truck running. Moved more firewood. Moved splitter and split 1/2 cord, will repeat tomorrow and then start cutting the smaller logs for splitting and storage in big barn, followed by more splitting until I get to a point that I can take a break and cut wood at Site #1. Hopefully I'll be done by June 1st and can then start cutting-up and splitting the big logs. I may have them 1/2 done by Sept.

Traveled to Montana today.Needed to get out of the big city,lol Found more wonderfull places to explore before hunting season.
Stopped at a gun shop and they had Bmag magazines and some 17wsm ammo,so it came home with me

Split more wood, bucked-up some 24" limbs that I'll split tomorrow and then buck the last of the small stuff. I'll have to sharpen the carbide chains and then hit the 50" logs. A friend mentioned that there is probably St Helens ash embedded in the bark of these trees! I want to make a big dent in this task before I go to back to site #1 and polish-off the trees there. My goal is a year's + of dry wood at each site by Sept.
I'll need to burn out some irrigation ditch tomorrow morning as the old weeds have choked the ditch. Looks like a drought year coming, save your rain water for your garden.

Been a busy weekend

Set up the rest of the drip irrigation in the front yard, set up irrigation in the backyard. Got about 250 square feet of growing space for just vegetables along with a 100 foot row of grapes, berries, and hops. I'm pretty excited for the fruits of my labor to blossom.

Besides that, I fixed the valves in my 86 tercel 4x4, went to NWArmory, did homework, helped a friend move into his new house, and enjoyed some medicinal time :)

We enjoy it, we love the produce and berries we get, and we give a lot away.

It is pure therapy for me to do all this. It is a huge amount of work, now the constant weeding starts. Being out in that garden at 7 am on a summer morning with the dogs laying in the rows. I will do this until the day I die and then they can pour part of my ashes in that garden.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top