JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Arms Day completed early this AM. The gym was a madhouse. Lots of out of shape people trying to put up way too much weight and a lot of folks resting on the machines looking at their phone. I had to weave through people to get to the dumbbell rack and the parking lot was completely full. If these are portents of what January will be like I'll need to adjust my schedule to get there at 5:00 AM before the New Year's horde shows up.
Oh yes. I hear you. Will be making plans to go in earlier in January. Then by mid-Feb all the undisciplined types will jump ship. Went to the gym today about 10:30am and expected it to be dead, but there were 30-40 people there Xmas day (today). Then I remembered it will get worse. I really do like to see unfit people giving it a go. I was 70 lbs heavier not that long ago myself, but when I started going I never felt insecure or weird. Bottom line - no one cares; do your thing.

Weighed 181 this AM. Part of me wants to go to 179 before building back because I remembered in 1979 weighing 179.

Plus 259 minus 179 = hits that 80 lb mark. A friend gave me tons of veggies the other day and along with meats I've been eating A LOT, but only in a two hour window. OMAD. Not hungry at all anymore outside that two hours.

"They" say eat all the veggies you want, they will never make you fat and I have to agree. Although many have a significant amount of carbs they are complex carbs and don't trigger an insulin (fat storage response). To say I've been chowing down on veggies is an understatement. Barely enough room in my Al Bundy dog bowl to contain them.

VeggiesDontMakeUfat.JPG

I missed Thursday's workout because I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep so my schedule was off by a day. I made up for it this morning by combining both legs and arms today as I usually do a 5-day bro split, which is training hard one body part per day. I am bubblegum wiped!

Chest and arms yesterday.

5.5 hours of snowboarding today.

Back workout tomorrow.

I went snowboarding yesterday. They got dumped on but it was super wet and heavy so it was choppy. I wiped out pretty good a couple times. I must have tweaked my back, because I can barely move today.

Reminder I'm not a kid anymore.

I went snowboarding yesterday. They got dumped on but it was super wet and heavy so it was choppy. I wiped out pretty good a couple times. I must have tweaked my back, because I can barely move today.

Reminder I'm not a kid anymore.

Sounds like the Cascade concrete snow. Wet and heavy.

I'm no spring chicken either. I still ride the parks. I really prefer natural wind lips and big side hits.

Sounds like the Cascade concrete snow. Wet and heavy.

I'm no spring chicken either. I still ride the parks. I really prefer natural wind lips and big side hits.

I bought a split board when I was active in S&R for back country stuff, and it's my only one right now. It handles like a tank, so I mostly cruise right now. I'd like to get another one before next year. My daughter is super into it, so we might get season passes this spring when they go on sale.

When I was younger, I probably went in one season more than I did the last five years put together.

In my 60s now so snowboarding and skiing are off the radar with rare exceptions. Just life - injuries that take forever to heal if ever.

Oddly, a complete reckless idiot in my youth in cars and motorcycles. Really doesn't make sense that when you have 50-60 good years left you're reckless, but 15 and you're conservative and cautious.

Happy that staying fit and healthy is 85% nutrition, 15% exercise and not the other way around.

Well Joe, it's a rare day I'm not at the gym. At my age, I don't run anymore, (had enough of that in the military). I like 30 minutes of stair climbing to start. 100 to 200 crunches, 30 chin-ups, and various weights. Then hit the elliptical, keep the heart rate up in my training zone for another 20 to 30. Finish up with a fast walk on the treadmill for 30. Somedays I sub that for a swim. Diet is nothing fad. Most folks go on a "diet", lose some weight, check the box, and lard up again. I just eat the right foods in moderation. It's my lifestyle. I'm 68 and have seen too many of my old hunting buddies get too out of shape to hunt any longer, and a few have died. This past hunting season I went it alone in Montana, elk and deer. Tagged both, packed a cow elk out of a canyon in pieces by myself. For three weeks I was hiking 5 to 7 miles a day and lovin' every minute of it.

No work out buddies for me. I get "in the zone" and it's like a trip to the zoo. I watch the young turks flexing in the wall mirrors and taking selfies. God that humors me to no end! Worth the price of admission right there.

Well Joe, it's a rare day I'm not at the gym. At my age, I don't run anymore, (had enough of that in the military). I like 30 minutes of stair climbing to start. 100 to 200 crunches, 30 chin-ups, and various weights. Then hit the elliptical, keep the heart rate up in my training zone for another 20 to 30. Finish up with a fast walk on the treadmill for 30. Somedays I sub that for a swim. Diet is nothing fad. Most folks go on a "diet", lose some weight, check the box, and lard up again. I just eat the right foods in moderation. It's my lifestyle. I'm 68 and have seen too many of my old hunting buddies get too out of shape to hunt any longer, and a few have died. This past hunting season I went it alone in Montana, elk and deer. Tagged both, packed a cow elk out of a canyon in pieces by myself. For three weeks I was hiking 5 to 7 miles a day and lovin' every minute of it.

No work out buddies for me. I get "in the zone" and it's like a trip to the zoo. I watch the young turks flexing in the wall mirrors and taking selfies. God that humors me to no end! Worth the price of admission right there.
I must say that is a pretty impressive daily regimen, at 68 yoa. Are you retired, seeing as how you have what appears to be around 2 hours/day to spend at the gym? If I add in changing time, a shower afterwards, plus driving time (assuming 15 minutes each way), I calculate that's about 3 hours/day dedicated to fitness. At 62 yoa myself, I find that's pretty challenging to work a full day *and* spend that much time at the gym. I was able to do that for most of my 20s, all of my 30s, and some of my early 40s, then I got married and got kids. I'd like to know what your secret is to have that much time for the gym...

I must say that is a pretty impressive daily regimen, at 68 yoa. Are you retired, seeing as how you have what appears to be around 2 hours/day to spend at the gym? If I add in changing time, a shower afterwards, plus driving time (assuming 15 minutes each way), I calculate that's about 3 hours/day dedicated to fitness. At 62 yoa myself, I find that's pretty challenging to work a full day *and* spend that much time at the gym. I was able to do that for most of my 20s, all of my 30s, and some of my early 40s, then I got married and got kids. I'd like to know what your secret is to have that much time for the gym...
I am indeed retired. My military career was the big factor in a healthy lifestyle. Part of that was fitness for the job (Aircrew) the other was as I mentioned about friends, too many took poor care of themselves in one fashion or another and died way too soon. My Dad smoked and drank way too much as well. He died very soon after his retirement. In the Navy I was gone from home much of the time, so I had to make do with working out whenever or wherever I could. We had the semi-annual "Forced Fun Day" PT and I had annual swim quals and flight physicals. I rode a bicycle, worked out in hotel rooms and Navy quarters, ran, anywhere and anytime I could. If I was on shore duty, I would ride the bike to work early in the morning and hit the gym before work.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect. One time in my 30's, my first shore duty, I let things go a bit much. Got overweight, had a desk job, drank a bit too much beer and ate too well. Went to PT one fine morning and failed. Oops! I find that as we age, the more out of shape you get, it's harder to get back into shape. I have no dreams or desires to run a marathon or an ironman. The wife & I did Cycle Oregon once, got the t-shirt and moved on. Incidentally, when she retired she found herself overweight. We both go to the gym, but separately. I go in the morning to get it done, and work out by myself. She does "classes" in the evening. She lost plenty of weight and is much happier. Happier still because she found she needed a hip replacement. Because she was so fit, the surgery and recovery went very well for her. Not bad for a 67 year old gal.
So there you have it. Retired with time now. I go 4 or 5 times a week, sometimes more, sometimes a bit less. Sometimes 3 hours a day, sometimes a bit less. I like the time to go to the range and shoot, and then there's days in the gun room reloading or working on a gun project. Yard work in season. I think there is a difference in "trying to find time" for something, or just "Making the time". I even make time for naps occasionally. I am an old guy now.

It rhymes with tang and is spelled like tang. It is tang.

Taking 3-4 days off from the gym in a row. I do that about once a month. Can tell when pushing to hard. It was mostly the treadmill HITT training. Full sprint for 25 sec, 2 min rest x 8 (via App propped up on treadmill). It really worries the front desk lady to see someone my age sprinting at the TM's top speed (12) lol - even for just a few seconds.

I asked her 'does that thing work' - pointing to the heart defibrillator in the glass case.

tm.JPG

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads