JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reminds me of a joke I read somewhere.
Subsitute the word internet with tv, radio, or cars; similar effect.

I asked my parents what we did before the internet, they weren't sure. So I asked my 12 siblings, and they had no idea either.
;)

All I know know is there were sure a lot less experts...........on everything.
I saw a post made by a guy who was a neurosurgeon, a rocket scientist,
a polical expert, and a virologist.
And this was all before the upcoming weekend.

We had to get used to the idea of not knowing stuff. (I wonder if Smoky Robison is still alive... ?)
Also used maps, Thomas guides, and addresses to find stuff.
Had to pin up business cards next to the phone (on the wall) or write down phone numbers (also on the wall), keep address books and huge phone books nearby. The Yellow pages actually served a purpose before becoming part of a bullet-trap.
VHS tapes and DVD collections, lame 32-bit video games, tapes and CDs, books on paper or audiotape, newspaper machines out front, writing letters and cards by hand, mail-order shopping took 4-6 weeks.
We didn't know what EVERYBODY in the world thought about EVERYTHING.

We played outside.

Remember outside. It's nice.

And we had more than a 5 second attention span. We could entertain ourselves with no toys or games for days. And we feared nothing.
No helicopter parents.

I remember spending my vacations in Bend on my stepdad's property in the middle of nowhere. We would hike down cliffs down to the river, swim in the river with no life jackets. Hunt for scorpions and rattle snakes.
Hike for miles with no food or water or supervision.

Now I'm a B. And I can't imagine letting my kids do that.

We lived 'our' lives rather than reading about all the photoshopped fun everyone else is having and wishing we were them. :)

I lived next to Tillamook national forest, so during high school, I'd take off for 3-4 days wondering through the forest with just my pocket knife (wasn't much for book learning or sitting still). Learned to fish with my hands, build fires, leanto's, make pots out of bark to boil water, make snares and stay away from bears and cougars - had a blast and saw some of the most beautiful country. Hunted on the way to school and back (when I went) and stored my rifle in the principals office. Every pickup in the parking lot had a gun rack with guns in it - yet no one ever seemd to shoot anyone. Found old junker cars and rebuilt thier engines to race on old abandoned roads. And if we ever got bored and told our parents, they gave us a choice - either we find something to do or they would find something for us, which generally included cleaning something...

All my grandkids do is play video games all day - seems they are missing out on a whole lot of life...

I often think back to being a kid or even a teenager and thinking about how awesome the future would be. Part of that includes all sorts of exciting technologies we expected. At some point that optimism went away pretty much entirely. I've never quite been able to pin down exactly when or why. Is it just a something that comes with age? Is it the result of spending too much time on the internet? Maybe it's just living in the post-9/11 world in general.

:s0060:

children-324.jpg

Had to actually listen to people not just listen enough to formulate a response.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top