JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just to offend all Porcupine lovers, I believe they are pests. They kill the trees, they give cows, horses, and dogs snootfuls of needles, hard to get animals to like you pulling quills. I let Porcupine's feed on 22 LR right out of the barrel. Then bury them deep.

Pilated woodpecker
a buddy has a tree farm out in the foothills range of the Cascades. About 20 years ago he called me to come see his discovery, of large trees similar to those shown. The bark piles were much smaller pieces, although with similar extensive and considerable damage to the trunk, with sometimes a large half-moon shaped bite missing. Think of a trunk 40' off the ground, easily 30"+ across, with a semicircular chunk missing from side to center of the heartwood. Large piles comprised of chips nearly 3/4" square, pick-up loads of them, several feet deep were under a good 15-20 fully mature fir trees.

The Forest Service ID them culprit as a horde of marauding wood peckers.

He passed that part of his place just a few days previous and all was well.

Last Edited:
The ones that I have seen....tend to rip off large strips of bark to eat bugs and such...
They are uncommon...but not un-heard of up my ways.

For a fun video look up
Teddy Bear the porcupine's Halloween feast
( I'd post it here ....but my computer skills are lacking )
Andy
All you need to do is to cut and paste the url for the video Andy.....

Looks like it could be porcupine damage.

View attachment 717672
Another vote for porcupine...num num num...:D
Andy
I'm a Forester and can confirm porcupine. I haven't figured out why they are so bad this year. I usually get asked about them maybe 2 times a year. This year, probably 3-4 questions a week. LOTS of damage from them this year.

Clearly, porcupines are the ANTIFA of the Forest. ;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top