JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm willing to bet human made. Climbing arborist consultants with hatchets girdling trees for snack creation and bird habitat.
I didn't do the work, but likely know who did, if that's indeed the case

I'm willing to bet human made. Climbing arborist consultants with hatchets girdling trees for snack creation and bird habitat.
I didn't do the work, but likely know who did, if that's indeed the case

I doubt it. This is a 12.5 mile drive off the nearest paved road, with the last 6 miles being so rough and overgrown it takes me 35 min to drive it (being fairly familiar with the roads). It's then a 1 mile hike through severely overgrown brush to get to them. Long way to go to do it to 2 trees.

And for the votes for birds and beetles - are you basing that just on the appearance of the trunks? The pieces of bark on the ground are in strips 3 and 4 inches wide and some are 2 ft long or more. It's torn off, not damaged to the point it died and fell off.

I know those guys hike pretty remote for that kind of thing. It looks like way more than a bird or a beetle could do to a live and vigorous tree I think. Lightening a good guess too probably

I thought lightning, but neither tree looked burned or otherwise damaged. They were close together, but not close enough to have been hit by the same strike, and I figured it would be unlikely to strike so close together.

Porkys
5b761695330f1.image.jpg

We had a pet possum when I was kid...
She was house broke , would go on walks with the dog....even played fetch.
But...
She was dumb....
She was so dumb , that when we left the house , we had to put her in her cage....
'Cause if left alone in the house...she would walk into the corner and then get "stuck"...She "forget" or just would not go backwards , turn around etc.....
Andy
Andy,
You should have been there the night we came home and found a large one sitting on our back deck railing. Wife thought it would be cute to give it a frozen hot dog. The darned thing got the hot dog stuck, "endo" with it's jaw propped wide open and couldn't couldn't let go of the railing, (15 ft.above the ground) to pull it out. It took almost 15 minute of contortion before it thawed enough and he could get it turned to eat it.:rolleyes:
We just sat there and howled.:D

Andy,
You should have been there the night we came home and found a large one sitting on our back deck railing. Wife thought it would be cute to give it a frozen hot dog. The darned thing got the hot dog stuck, "endo" with it's jaw propped wide open and couldn't couldn't let go of the railing, (15 ft.above the ground) to pull it out. It took almost 15 minute of contortion before it thawed enough and he could get it turned to eat it.:rolleyes:
We just sat there and howled.:D
Ha...that's funny...!
Ours , her name was "Flower" ...'Cause she had her bed in a large flower pot...
Loved hot dogs ( never tried a frozen one...:D ) and corn on the cob.
Andy

I've come to realize that I'm not much of a dog lover; I don't dislike them, but don't particularly care for them either. Maybe it's because the dog we had on the farm where I grew up was so dumb. She could never quite figure out that she shouldn't chase skunks and porcupines. I don't know how many times my dad and I had to sit on her and carefully pull dozens of porcupine needles out of her face. We found that they came out easier if you snip the ends off first. They're hollow and full of air, and slightly deflate.

I'm a Forester and can confirm porcupine. I haven't figured out why they are so bad this year. I usually get asked about them maybe 2 times a year. This year, probably 3-4 questions a week. LOTS of damage from them this year.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top