JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

I know this has been covered a bit but my question is this: Does anyone know what round the Oregon State Police carry daily in their handguns? I have always read that in a self-defense situation, it is easier to justify your round used if that is what your local police carry. I have a call in with a Sgt. at Lane County Sheriffs office to see if they have an approved round(s). I assume my call isn't a top priority for them, and I completely understand that. Just looking to see what the opinions are around here, as I know there are probably a few officers on this forum.

Thanks,

John

Edit: Looking for specific brand or type of ammo, not caliber.

Edit: LCSO is using Winchester Defender 230gr .45

Last Edited:
The city of Beaverton uses <broken link removed>

I prefer to use Federal HST. My thinking is that stopping the bad guy is my #1 priority for my ammo choice, availability and affordability is second but also important. Should I ever need to defend my choice of HST in court I've made some other mistake in my decision to use deadly force. Not to mention it rarely matters; what ammo did Zimmerman use?

I prefer to use Federal HST. My thinking is that stopping the bad guy is my #1 priority for my ammo choice, availability and affordability is second but also important. Should I ever need to defend my choice of HST in court I've made some other mistake in my decision to use deadly force. Not to mention it rarely matters; what ammo did Zimmerman use?

Thanks for the info, I also agree that if I am justifying my round used there probably are a lot bigger issues at hand. Also, in my opinion, I don't really care what round I use as long as it saves my life or someone else' life when put in jeopardy.

I had a long conversation with some LE friends one day about this same subject. The majority stated that the duty ammo they carry is the balance of the worst of all worlds for actual self defense (needs to be barrier blind, has a very deep penetration rate, procurement has a contract with a vendor, perceived public opinion, etc.).

Since I don't plan on shooting through windshields or need to worry about some department's image in a self defense situation I have the luxury of selecting purpose built rounds that meet my own personal self defense profile. So even though a friend's department carries Hornady Critical Duty ammo I choose to carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo due to the differences in expansion, penetration, etc..

YMMV.

Douglas County sheriff uses these and I have Black Talons which are the same thing. I have shot them into wet newspaper with devastating effects.

Manufacturer Winchester
Condition New
Bullet Weight 180 Grain
Bullet Type Full Metal Jacket (FMJ)
Use Type Range Training <------- See this, not intended for defensive carry.
Ammo Casing Brass
Quantity 50
Ammo Caliber .40 S&W (Smith & Wesson)
Manufacturer SKU Q4356
Primer Type Boxer
It was the closest I could find to the description given. Not even Winchester's LE catalog lists a cartridge matching the specifications put forth in the police chief's general orders. On one hand "SXT" implies a quality hollow point while the "FMJ" implies the opposite. It really doesn't matter to me which one it is, but we don't get to pick one over the other without getting better info. I was just providing a data point from my local PD based on published orders. I bet I could walk over to an officer eating lunch at the local choke-N-puke and ask what he carries and he'd probably be clueless.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top