Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What defensive round?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by JRH Oregon, Mar 12, 2015.

1. JRH Oregon

JRH Oregon Oregon Active Member

Hey all,

I know this has been covered a bit but my question is this: Does anyone know what round the Oregon State Police carry daily in their handguns? I have always read that in a self-defense situation, it is easier to justify your round used if that is what your local police carry. I have a call in with a Sgt. at Lane County Sheriffs office to see if they have an approved round(s). I assume my call isn't a top priority for them, and I completely understand that. Just looking to see what the opinions are around here, as I know there are probably a few officers on this forum.

Thanks,

John

Edit: Looking for specific brand or type of ammo, not caliber.

Edit: LCSO is using Winchester Defender 230gr .45

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. 156256Hunter

156256Hunter Fairview-ish Active Member

3. JRH Oregon

4. 156256Hunter

156256Hunter Fairview-ish Active Member

Oops, I wrongly assumed round meant caliber.

5. Steve M

Steve M Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

The city of Beaverton uses Winchester – Ranger SXT 40 Caliber 180 GR FMJ

I prefer to use Federal HST. My thinking is that stopping the bad guy is my #1 priority for my ammo choice, availability and affordability is second but also important. Should I ever need to defend my choice of HST in court I've made some other mistake in my decision to use deadly force. Not to mention it rarely matters; what ammo did Zimmerman use?

6. JRH Oregon

Thanks for the info, I also agree that if I am justifying my round used there probably are a lot bigger issues at hand. Also, in my opinion, I don't really care what round I use as long as it saves my life or someone else' life when put in jeopardy.

7. blackadder

blackadder Everett Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I know WSP uses Speer Gold Dots. They also use the M&P40, so could be they use the same ammo.

JRH Oregon likes this.
  8. ThePhonMan

ThePhonMan Spokanistan Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I had a long conversation with some LE friends one day about this same subject. The majority stated that the duty ammo they carry is the balance of the worst of all worlds for actual self defense (needs to be barrier blind, has a very deep penetration rate, procurement has a contract with a vendor, perceived public opinion, etc.).

Since I don’t plan on shooting through windshields or need to worry about some department's image in a self defense situation I have the luxury of selecting purpose built rounds that meet my own personal self defense profile. So even though a friend's department carries Hornady Critical Duty ammo I choose to carry Hornady Critical Defense ammo due to the differences in expansion, penetration, etc..

YMMV.

JRH Oregon and Steve M like this.
  9. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

Douglas County sheriff uses these and I have Black Talons which are the same thing. I have shot them into wet newspaper with devastating effects.

JRH Oregon likes this.
  10. Steve M

11. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Please tell me you don't use FMJ for defensive purposes?

12. solv3nt

solv3nt Portland Well-Known Member

I tried calling OSP, and I was told that they carry whatever that they can get their hands on.

13. JRH Oregon

14. JRH Oregon

Just received a call back from the Sgt. at LCSO. He said that they use Winchester Defender 230gr .45. Works for me as I carry an XDS .45 3.3.

15. Steve M

It was the closest I could find to the description given. Not even Winchester's LE catalog lists a cartridge matching the specifications put forth in the police chief's general orders. On one hand "SXT" implies a quality hollow point while the "FMJ" implies the opposite. It really doesn't matter to me which one it is, but we don't get to pick one over the other without getting better info. I was just providing a data point from my local PD based on published orders. I bet I could walk over to an officer eating lunch at the local choke-N-puke and ask what he carries and he'd probably be clueless.

gunfreak and JRH Oregon like this.