JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'll be shooting steel shot with a modern Browning 20 gauge autoloader this weekend. I've always used a modified choke with lead shot, figured maybe I should open it up for steel.

Would improved cylinder be a good choice for #6 steel shot?

I run 3" Kent Fasteel loads with 1-1/4oz of #2 steel shot through my Weatherby SA-08 which has a 26" barrel and an IMC (Improved Modified Choke) installed.

It slays ducks over "big water" with ease.... the little bastiges! :s0118:

But that's in 12ga. ;)

I run 3" Kent Fasteel loads with 1-1/4oz of #2 steel shot through my Weatherby SA-08 which has a 26" barrel and an IMC (Improved Modified Choke) installed.

It slays ducks over "big water" with ease.... the little bastiges! :s0118:

But that's in 12ga. ;)
I use those as well, but in a Maverick 88. 24 inch barrel with IMC.

I'm planning to dispatch some born-to-die pheasants WA Fish and Wildlife plants, figuring 2-3/4", 3/4oz, #6 should do the job if I do my part. I've just never used steel before, don't have access to a patterning board, need to tap the NWFA knowledge base.

I'm planning to dispatch some born-to-die pheasants WA Fish and Wildlife plants, figuring 2-3/4", 3/4oz, #6 should do the job if I do my part. I've just never used steel before, don't have access to a patterning board, need to tap the NWFA knowledge base.
If your using Steel shot, you want to go with a Water Fowl load and choke, usually #2 shot high speed steel!

I use a full choke with #2's federal waterfowl. However, I pass shoot and don't use decoys. Not many wing shot fly aways happen anymore. Ymmv. I won't use Kent's anymore. Had a whole bunch go click instead of bang. They did send me new ones and told me there was water inside the old ones. Never had that happen with the federals, used in the same environment.

What is target?
How far do you expect shots to be?

I hunted ducks an entire season shooting a Skeet choke
Several more years of Improved

Club I'm in now is a 20-40 yard deal. Modified choke went in 4 years ago (Fluffed a few too many birds with my trusty Improved first season). Cripple rate dropped a lot.

If it's a one time thing, Modified or Improved. If season is long, get out and pattern with ammo you plan on using.

Alrighty team, after merging intel from here and there, and talking with Browning, either Improved Cylinder or Modified should work. It was recommended to have both chokes available in the field just in case the birds start laughing at me, or they turn to a pile of feathers. With my shotgunning skill I'm pretty sure they'll be laughing at me either way, but we'll see :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top