JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My reasons:

1- Piss poor economy
2- High unemployment because of #1
3- BG's moving to burb's where picking are easier (they think)
4- I chose to be a survivor not a victim
5- Many other minor but contributory factors

SOG

I do a lot of fishing and hunting in places with high animal counts. Got mine so I could still conceal after the trip instead of leaving the gun in the car. ie: bars, stores, etc.

I spend a lot of time in the coast range and had one to many strange encounters. Finally decided to have some protection incase the flight method wasn't an option.

My parents, aunts, uncles, and even my Grandma all have had them for years. I was an Eagle Scout and the old motto stuck with me "Be Prepared". So i got my concealed permit. I'll probably never need it, but i'd rather have it and not need it. Than need it and not have it.

When it was just myself, I'm a large enough guy to handle a fight, but once I got married, I have held an intrinsic obligation to protect the both of us. Other reasons; a buddy and I were also shot at while fishing in a boat on a river (quite the sitting ducks), dealing with unknown people online (mostly craigslist), and hiking.

I applied for my first CWP in mid-July 1990. It was my 21st birthday, and the first day that I could legally apply. I got my permit exactly 30 days later and picked up my first handgun that day. I've carried every day since. I can't really quantify an answer to 'why' I started carrying, I guess it was just the right thing to do? I had grown up around guns and my dad carried when he worked in Seattle. He had stopped carrying by the mid-'80s but not for any particular reason other than he didn't work on Capitol Hill anymore. After 19 years of EDC I cannot imagine not carrying! I think I'd become a paranoid basket case in short order, especially now that spinal damage is effecting my mobility. Given some of the places I've been and things I've seen the presence of my handgun may have helped to keep me safe many times. I know it saved my life one night in 2005.
:D

When it was just myself, I'm a large enough guy to handle a fight, but once I got married, I have held an intrinsic obligation to protect the both of us. Other reasons; a buddy and I were also shot at while fishing in a boat on a river (quite the sitting ducks), dealing with unknown people online (mostly craigslist), and hiking.

07Deliverance_BD_lewis.jpg

You need to get yourself a bow...

commies and zombies made me start packin heat.it used to be a semi peaceful world when you kids could play out side,you could leave your doors unlocked and have a stereo in your truck the next day when ya go get in it.

I used to carry a .25 back in High School...I know...but if you spent 1 hour in my HS, you prolly would have as well. Shootings, near fatal beatings, stabbings/slashings happened every year I was there. I was a pretty scrawny guy, and of the minority group that was singled out at times just for being the color I am. Sophomore year there was a full flegded riot---paddy wagons hauling students off, cops beating kids w/ batons...it was nuckin' futs.

Now I carry b/c I live in Oregon, and see enough meth-related crimes I feel more at risk from drugged out crazies here than I did growing up in Chicago! Plus, we camp & hike alot in remote areas, and Bears & Cougars are out there...I have a wife & baby, too. ****, just a few months back, some 70 year old guy was beaten to death in my end of town by some crackhead.

Every time I put on my gun, I hope it never has to come out of the holster. But I don't want to be in a situation that I wished I would have packed & didn't.

I had a gun pulled on me when I was 19, the day I turned 21 I applied for a CPL and bought my first pistol.

That's funny I was the same age when I had a gun pulled on me. Not fun to stare at the business end of a barrel. :s0131: Luckily for me the guy I was traveling with talked the guy out of it. I won't go into detail about my friend at the time we'll just say that he spoke the language a bit. I'm certain if I was by myself I would have been shot though.

I started carrying because i never want to be in a situation where a bubbleguming bubblegum who has no regard for human life can just take mine away from me. Im not very fit and ive never been a fighter. I train with my gun and feel more confident in a world where there are many people who dont have good intentions. I also want to level the field with all these meth heads,for my girl, friends and family...id carry at work if i had a good IWB holster, so very soon....

In 1990, I was riding along with my neighbor in his patrol car about once a week(he was a hillsboro cop), and after a few late night shifts of that, I saw things that surprised the heck out of me. It was an eye opening experience. That was all the convincing I needed to run out and get my CHL.

If you've never done it before, you should try a ride along or two, I think that most departments do this, of course you need to sign a waiver.

1...My former law enforcement background has left me paranoid (and realistically so, I believe).

2...My law enforcement training, and continuing 'gold badge mentality,' contribute to making me feel obligated to step into at-risk 'situations.' Since I'm not a very large person, without my weapon I'd be reduced to yelling, "Stop it, or I'll tell on you!"

Max

That's funny I was the same age when I had a gun pulled on me. Not fun to stare at the business end of a barrel. :s0131: Luckily for me the guy I was traveling with talked the guy out of it. I won't go into detail about my friend at the time we'll just say that he spoke the language a bit. I'm certain if I was by myself I would have been shot though.

Mine was in the entrance of a bowling alley, the guy was wearing a lot of gang colors and didn't appear to care who saw him (he had a mask on too) I talked him down and to this day I don't remember what I said, but I know I kept my cool...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top