Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

What can you tell us how to make that will help when SHTF.

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by jjackffrost, Jan 26, 2012.

1. jjackffrost

jjackffrost central oregon Active Member

The reason I thought this would be a good post is I have helped some of the people in my area with a few small thing like showing them how to can meat and make their own O2 absorbers. Easy things to me and what I thought was general knowledge but as I am finding out not so much.
    I grew up in Oregon we had 8 kids in the family Father was a mill worker and mother was a house wife we hunted every year Duck, Deer, elk, shoot even nutria(big water rat). We had a small freezer on the top of our fridge so meats got canned, jerkied, smoked and turned into summer sausage, and pemmican (pounded meat)
    My Wife grew up in the suburbs in California and a lot of this was unknown to her. She had shot a pellet gun and a 22 when we met. Now she has a 357 and is a better shot than I am. Till have not got her to go kill a deer yet but I am working on it.
    OK I will put up two post to see if I can get this started

2. jjackffrost

O2 Absorbers
    I work with steel and iron in my shop at home so O2 Absorbers are easy for me.
    Some of the people I was showing how to can said they used O2 Absorbers to store their grains and they had no idea they could make their own for little or nothing.
    Iron 6 grams. Ground small grain of sand size if it is shavings it will still work just not as fast. Make sure there is no oil on the iron it stops rust. Do not use any stainless steels. If you are not sure about your steel put a drop of salt water on it and look at it the next morning if it rusts it will work.
    Ground plastic 3 grams soda bottle (Pepsi for me)
    6 grams salt. I use ground rock salt because it is what I have.
    I put this all in my old coffee grinder and mix it up. Cut a paper towel in half and put the mix in the paper towel. Roll it up or fold it and staple it through the middle.
    You have just made an O2 Absorber for a 5 gal bucket. Keep dry till you use, then put two or 3 drops (with eye dropper) water on staple and put in bucket.

3. jjackffrost

Pemmican (pounded meat)
    Ok this is how to beat you meat
    Pemmican been used for ever. We use it for anything you want to taste like meat
    5 Pounds of meat will make 1 pound of Pemmican

1: remove most of the fat and put aside
    2: cut meat long strips about ¾" thick
    3: hang to dry I use my smoke house for this takes two days to dry at 80 f. you can set your oven to low and dry it that way but the taste is not the same. You are just trying to dry your meat not cook it. If you have a sunny day and a sheet of clear glass you can hang it behind it and it will dry quickly
    4: After the meat is dry pounded into a powder or a string-like mass. Use a hammer, bat, back of hatchet, ECT, ECT (I use an orange plastic mallet from harbor freight to break up the meat fiber. driving off any remaining moisture.

5: for every pound of Pemmican you need a pound of fat. I like to use beef fat for the flavor but any fat will work.
    6: put the fat in a pot and “slowly” heat mix until liquid
    7: add it to the mix of pounded meat. Stir till mixed good

8: put in a pan of the size and shape you want let cool and you have old-style pemmican

We use it up to 2 ½ years I have friends that have used it up to 5 but I would only use it for 2 1/2

4. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

You said ....

5. Mutt

Mutt Washington, Kitsap County Member

Flint knapping. You can make your own tools, weapons etc.

Forging. Once again, making your own tools, weapons etc.

6. ragermack

ragermack Tillamook Member

Good information thanks

7. oldbrass

oldbrass WA Active Member

learn to make a fire without matches or a lighter. I watched a few videos and tried it..its a lot harder than it looks

8. knuckle Head

knuckle Head southeast Well-Known Member

I have the 9 volt battery and steel trick works real easily but use really fine steel wool like 0000, also using a A AA AAA C or D can be done easily as well.

I also took a really fine piece of electrical wire stripped the center, anchored one end to the negative battery terminal on my truck, ran the fine part through some tp then touched the positive terminal, god hot in the center blew on it and had fire in seconds. just disconnect quickle and use fine wire or you can short out your battery.

I am going to try and earn some cash money and go to a real survival school on how to make fire and shelter this year

9. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

He said pound meat dammit.

Think about having buckets to make toilets. You can get the 'seats' for $5, or make shift something.

A bucket with a cut out bottom lets you do your business, bury, move, etc.

Lots of plastics bags will make for a good indoor toilet. Good chance SHTF you won't have water to flush a toilet and you don't want to use precious water for bathing, toilet, etc.

Get a ton of baby wipes or the like so you don't start smelling like a morgue after a few days. Fun times!!!!

Little known fact: Our European ancestors that came to North America rarely bathed, if ever. It was rare for them to bathe more than once a year. A large percentage never bathed from birth. They didn't have any special sweat glands or anything - lol. In other words, they stunk like walking corpses.

When the Native Americans were foolish enough to greet and help them, they had to hold flowers under their noses because of the stench.

We might all get to play "Pilgrim" again. Yippee.

10. pangleaa

pangleaa pangleaa New Member

. I watched a few videos and tried it..its a lot harder than it looks

wholesale jersey
    super bowl jersey
    Cheap Pro Jerseys

11. jjackffrost

Yea I did 10 pounds and felt like I had been lifting bricks all day.
    Think of it as a work out.

12. jjackffrost

ATCclears and (deleted member) like this.
  13. jjackffrost

If you find a good vid on how to make something throw up a link so we can see it (only if it is free)

14. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

You can add other goodies also, season to your taste, good stuff.

15. Sabertooth

Sabertooth Josephine County Active Member

Watched a make some arrow heads and spear heads back in the 60's. Looked easy so my dad and I tried it. Only took a 1/4 ton of obsidian to learn how to make a perfect arrow head and spear point. Was well worth the time and effort. Yup, pattin myself on the back.

Wildcat and (deleted member) like this.
  16. carracer

carracer Nampa, Idaho Active Member

Haste!

17. A.I.P.

A.I.P. UpperUS Active Member

Ancient Egyptian Beer from 3000 years ago was full of Tetracyclin, a powerful antibiotic, get the recipie on the web.
    BTW they drank about a gallon a day!

18. slimer13

slimer13 Deer Park Well-Known Member

Lightweights

19. jjackffrost

20. jjackffrost