JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only "thing" I've ever heard about the counters is that it's kinda hard to clean them like they were when new (so they're really easy to read again).. you pretty much have to take it apart to clean the face of that brass properly.
Yeah, there's not much on a 99 that you can get to with out tearing it apart.

When you feel like an adventure, take the magazine assembly apart and the cartridge stop out.:)
I've got it down now but my first time I bet I had 6 hours into it! :(
I completely disassembled one once to cerakote and was intimidated by the round counter, but found some instructions online that made it pretty easy. It sure looked nice polished.

I bought a 99 in 308 from a friend several years ago that would only feed the first or second round from a full magazine.
I figured out that the mag spring needed to be preloaded to feed. Someone before me must have taken it apart and couldn't figure out how to wind it back up. It was back up and running in short order.

Then I sold it to my brother in law as a match to his Dad's 308.

In my Interweb travels today I happened upon a video by Hickok45 about the Savage 99. Figured I'd pass it along in the event others might enjoy. Cheers.

I sold my model 99. One of my most favorite guns. The only reason why I can sleep at night is I know it went to a good home. I sold it to a friend for his son. That year I got a picture in the mail and he had harvested his first elk with it. That gun couldnt of found a better home. I had heard of people being able to lay 3 or 4 rounds in their hand and load them with one good push but i could never do it.

I sold my model 99. One of my most favorite guns. The only reason why I can sleep at night is I know it went to a good home. I sold it to a friend for his son. That year I got a picture in the mail and he had harvested his first elk with it. That gun couldnt of found a better home. I had heard of people being able to lay 3 or 4 rounds in their hand and load them with one good push but i could never do it.

Almost every time I talk to Grandpa, he asks about his gun. He said it was the hardest one to give up. :( He was pretty happy when I told him it was being well loved/used and that we are talking about getting a new gun cabinet with his Savage in mind.

All I can give is my opinion that was developed by experience, the 99 is one of the very best hunting rifles ever made. I believe the 300 Savage is close to the 308 winchester in balistics. Look at the blue loss on the reciever, that gun has been hunted with.:D cool:cool:

All I can tell you is that I've seen a Model 99 in almost every pawn shop I've been in, and have never seen one as nice as that one.
My Gun cabinet has two empty spaces where a 99 and a Remington Model 8, both in chambered 300 savage are meant to sit.
Some day!

I find that very disturbing. Space in the gun cabinet indeed...

LOL!

Tell us how it shoots...

Still waiting....:s0006:

Ah, thank you for the reminder. I shot it some time back and had no issues with function or accuracy. Felt recoil wasn't bad. So, it shoots great, particularly considering the vintage. As leverguns go, the Winchester 94 is still my favorite,* but this is a darn fine rifle.:)

* And they are a good combo. :D

leverold.jpg

A friend of mine used some Brasso polish on a wooden Q-Tip to clean the cartridge counter wheel.
He was told not to mess with taking it apart.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top