JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, my wife's grandfather recently gave us his Savage rifle. He has owned it since 1943 and hunted extensively with said. The rest of his grandkids had no interest in firearms, so he gave it to us. I am looking for general information, as well as some questions.

The rifle does not appear to have a model number on it, though I believe this is a 99. It is chambered in .300 Savage. Other than the chamber information, markings include:

• Proof mark on the side.
  • "Savage Arms Corporation, Ithaca N.Y. — Made in the USA" on the barrel.
  • "HI-PRESSURE STEEL-PROOF TESTED" on the right side of the barrel.
  • A serial number on the bottom of the receiver of 419XXX.
There is also a Weaver scope mounted.

Pictures:

1.jpg

2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg

• What can you tell me about this rifle in general (e.g., model, when it was made, etc.)?
  • We have zero intention on ever selling this one, but if someone knows an approximate value, it would be good to know for insurance purposes.
  • It appears Remington still loads factory ammo for .300 Savage, but if there are other manufacturers, the info would be great.
Thanks much!

ive seen a lot of factory loaded 300sav. at the ARPC gun shows as of late. other than that, it looks like a model 99

Last Edited:
Looks like a 99R to my eye.
The R type weighed in around 7 1/2 pounds or so , had a sllight tapered barrel , checkering , and a shotgun butt.
The R type was made from 1932-1942 and 1946-1960
Edit to change "E" to "R"
Although it still could be an "E" model ... they are very close in Specs.
The "E" series was a bit more trim and lighter than the "R" series.
Andy

Last Edited:
Really nice looking rifle. The stock looks old, in a good way, and in great condition

I agree. I didn't comment before, but should have. This rifle is classy, darn near elegant.
Even me, not being an ardent lever guy, can start to dream up reasons for owning it.
It's one to be proud of.

It is a Savage 99 EG made in 1942. The rifle was drilled and tapped for the scope sometime after it left the factory; you will find that the front tap holes are drilled through the "Savage 99" stamped on the forward receiver ring. The stock is an aftermarket replacement. If you take the forearm off, I would expect that you will find the serial number of the receiver stamped in the wood, either along the barrel groove or rear end. Nice hunting rifle. That Weaver 2.5 or 3x, whichever it is, makes a real nice vintage hunting rig. The 99 is a well-engineered rifle, especially those made prior to 1960 ... my favorite lever action. The .300 Savage is a very good deer chambering; ammo is still quite easy to find.

Last Edited:
It is a Savage 99 EG made in 1942. The rifle was drilled and tapped for the scope sometime after it left the factory; you will find that the front tap holes are drilled through the "Savage 99" stamped on the forward receiver ring. The stock is an aftermarket replacement. If you take the forearm off, I would expect that you will find the serial number of the receiver stamped in the wood, either along the barrel groove or rear end. Nice hunting rifle. That Weaver 2.5 or 3x, whichever it is, makes a real nice vintage hunting rig. The 99 is a well-engineered rifle, especially those made prior to 1960 ... my favorite lever action. The .300 Savage is a very good deer chambering; ammo is still quite easy to find.

Thank you for all the details. :)

BTW, is the round counter functional?
In one of these babies, if the mag works, the counter is functional.:)
The numbers are stamped on the forward end of the magazine follower/drum. Skipping the step of machining the hole is the only difference between one that has it, and one that doesn't.
It's really pretty cool.

In one of these babies, if the mag works, the counter is functional.:)
The numbers are stamped on the forward end of the magazine follower/drum. Skipping the step of machining the hole is the only difference between one that has it, and one that doesn't.
It's really pretty cool.
The only "thing" I've ever heard about the counters is that it's kinda hard to clean them like they were when new (so they're really easy to read again).. you pretty much have to take it apart to clean the face of that brass properly.

Nice old Savage!

Thanks. :)

Neat piece. And cool family history. Glad it found it's way to a safe home instead of being pawned by some ingrate grandkid.

Agreed.

And my wife's grandfather has lead an interesting life. He's in very advanced age now and in declining health, including, sadly, partial blindness. He immigrated from Europe and lived in and hunted and fished all over the US and Canada. He's a WWII-era vet: he joined up with two buddies intent on being a paratrooper. His two pals didn't make the cut, but he did. He was trained and deployed in the Pacific, and was set to be part of Operation Downfall, but two A-Bombs dropped on Japan spared him that experience. He was part of the early occupation of Japan and visited the recently nuked Hiroshima in that time period. My father-in-law recently visited him and recorded, via audio file, his history of the events.

He's a tough old buzzard, but I saw him shed a few tears when he saw his great-grandchild (my daughter) for the first time. He later met his other great-grandkid (my son) a couple years ago. I am glad he lived to see several grandkids and the great-grandkids. :)

Tell us how it shoots. :)

Will do.

BTW, is the round counter functional?

Good question. I don't know at the moment. However, tomorrow I am planning on giving the old gun a good cleaning and rustproofing. My wife is up in the city right now getting supplies and she's planning on picking up some .300 Savage cartridges so we can shoot this fine old rifle. :)

Last Edited:
A very nice old Savage. Years ago in HS a friend of mines dad had one in the same cartridge and took us shooting a couple of times. I enjoyed shooting it and wanting one. I regret I never bought one. The family connection makes your gun even more precious and I am glad it has gone to someone who appreciates it and will cherish it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top