JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
And it might be the photos but that birdcage looks out of place somehow. The finish doesn't match and it looks longer than a mil-spec cage. Am I wrong here?

Yeah it doesn't look like a standard A2 flash hider to me. In the first pic it looks like it's one of those solid ones 3-4" long...

Looks a little mysterious.
As mentioned, I think I see an A2 upper receiver (integral handguard)
This would usually be issued with a rifle barrel, so no M4 cuts
The barrel however, looks like a "civvy M4" (16" w/M203 cut-out)

If you have M4 ramps on the barrel extension and no M4 cuts (to match) on the upper receiver, that would be odd.
A "civvy M4" barrel is usually found on an A4 flat top receiver. Like the LE69xx series.

Also looks like a Hogue grip.

Is the receiver extension milspec ? (rolled threads, not cut threads)

Colt has produced a bunch of different models and it takes an expert to decipher the code sometimes.
Far from an expert, but it doesn't look to be the advertised vintage and may even be a Franken built on a Colt lower.

AR15.com has a bunch of info in their Retro sub-forum.
(pics with casting marks, proof marks etc)

I agree with you on the barrel, odd. I'll have to check the receiver extensions.

I think that means "chrome lined, magnetic particle tested"

That's a lot different than meaning 'Colt'. Any way to verify it's a Colt upper?

When did Colt start putting forward assist on Civilian models? Most of what I can find is saying
early 1980's on the Model 6500/Sporter II.

Look here for date info;
Serial Number Data
Some pictures from my 1977 SP-1;

Marking on upper receiver;
WP_20170309_003.jpg

Marking on bolt carrier; WP_20170309_004.jpg

Inside FCG area;
WP_20170309_006.jpg
Barrel marking;
WP_20170309_008.jpg
Inside grip; That is a C next to the screw.
WP_20170309_010.jpg

Might be a different upper on a Colt lower....anodizing doesn't match, looks like it might have the adapter front pin..( Colts use a different size front pin ).... need better close up pics

Thanks for all the info guys! Great pics @Lilhigbee.

I'm thinking there's no way the upper could be from the 70's. The only Colts I can find from that era with an M4 cut have 14.5" barrels.

Excellent documentation !

What is your barrel profile, barrel twist and M4 ramps or no ?
A2 barrel profile, reduced diameter between the front sight and the flare for the flash hider.
Twist rate appears to be 1:14, with the brush method.
Standard feed ramps.
No FA.
@Unka-Boo, what are they asking for the SP-1 at NW Armory?? I'm thinking of selling mine.

Feed ramps;
WP_20170309_012.jpg

Receiver markings;
WP_20170309_013.jpg

So I just got more pics. From the markings it does look like it's a Colt upper and barrel.

It's too bad it's not a 'matching gun'. I wonder what the value is...

062.JPG

064.JPG

065.JPG

Colts will command a premium of course but it is a buyers market for AR's with many selling for half what they did a few years ago.

5 years ago that was probably an $1800 rifle, two years ago I suspect a $1000 rifle, today I would guess $600-$800

Colts will command a premium of course but it is a buyers market for AR's with many selling for half what they did a few years ago.

5 years ago that was probably an $1800 rifle, two years ago I suspect a $1000 rifle, today I would guess $600-$800

Yeah that's about what I was figuring price-wise :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top