JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have you ever fell trees before?If not,learn how before going into the woods and cutting trees.I know more than a couple people who have been badly hurt falling timber,very experienced fallers at that.

Have you ever fell trees before?If not,learn how before going into the woods and cutting trees.I know more than a couple people who have been badly hurt falling timber,very experienced fallers at that.

The only people I know who have been killed by falling trees were professionals. And if I remember correctly, the FS doesn't let people fall timber for firewood... only downed. Usually culls that the mill didn't want so the loaders left on the landing.

The only people I know who have been killed by falling trees were professionals. And if I remember correctly, the FS doesn't let people fall timber for firewood... only downed. Usually culls that the mill didn't want so the loaders left on the landing.

This might be a new rule cause I asked the FS fella if we fall our own trees and he said no. English wasn't his first language so I was hoping that he misspoke. :(

Before I moved to the NW I used to fall em for a living. Tough work and not much of a living.

I'll talk to em again when cutting season starts next month. I'll be looking for the hardest wood that I can find, Maple, Oak, Ash. Not sure what I'll find in their cutting areas though, might have to settle for Doug Fir and Alder.

If you have a second bar and chain for your saw, be sure and take that, and if you don't, maybe buy one. If you are cutting a log and get your bar stuck (it can happen), just take the powerhead off, replace the bar and chain, cut the old one fee, and get back to cutting.

Very good common sense point you make. Having had more than a "time or two" of stuck bars makes this advice good as gold.

I've been heating my house with firewood now for 9 years. Even though I have to drive 75 miles one way to get to the cut area the wood is fairly easy getting. By the time I account for all my costs I am heating my 1600+ sq ft for about $65-70/month. Having used natural gas from time to time during a winter when people have house sat for me I can say I am probably saving easily between $40-80/month in energy costs.

As a high school kid I hated cutting wood with my Dad each summer and hauling it. As an adult I love it. Love the hard work, love the solitude of the mountains, love the shooting I do when I am all done. Sometimes I even will stay and watch the stars come out at night and build a small campfire. I think I continue to want to heat my house with wood for these reasons more so than actually liking the heat better. Each year it gets a little harder to cut and haul but the solitude and shooting keep me motivated.

You can expect a LOT of firewood collectors in a BIG hurry.

No, you can not down trees, the firewood sale is to assist the Forest Service in cleaning up both timber sales and storm damage.

Scout around, know that the sites close to the road are going to be crowded.

Are you willing to drive in a little, or can you take a trailer into an off camber area? You will get the best wood from more difficult locations.

Well that's not good news. Martini_Up said the same thing. Oh well.

I assume the loggers are mostly hauling out Doug Fir for dimensional lumber? What do they do with the hardwoods?

Yeah I can go in a bit, I don't have the winch anymore so I guess it depends on how badly off-camber those muddy roads are. My setup is a 16' tandem axle with walls behind the 4x4 Blazer.

I still have two seasoned cords left so I'm not in a huge hurry, I'd like to get it done though.

Thanks for the good information.

Yeah I can go in a bit, I don't have the winch anymore so I guess it depends on how badly off-camber those muddy roads are. My setup is a 16' tandem axle with walls behind the 4x4 Blazer.
The roads are all normal gravel roads. If they are dirt - they are designated trails and you must have an ORV permit to be on them on Forest Service - State Forest lands.

The best thing to do is scout. Most permit cutters (that we have dealt with in Recreational areas) want to get in and get out as quickly as possible - and drive 2 WD vehicles ;-).

Where are you looking at going?

Bring along a few plastic wedges and a sledgehammer to extract your bar if it gets caught

I bring a spare bar and 6 to 8 sharp chains if I am doing serious cutting, along with a smaller saw for limbing. I have some very large timber (4 to 10 feet diameter in places) and I tend to use my Stihl 066 magnum with 36 inch bar. That thing is amazing

If for any reason you plan to cut standing alder over say 8 inches diameter bring a stout chain and a sturdy masterlock or similar and chain the trunk tight just above your saw cuts.. alder can split/jackknife up the trunk asnd instantly maim or kill you. It is also best never to cut alone for similar reasons. Besides with an assistant you will not get so tired you will make dangerous mistakes. My gal always likes to come along to watch my back (armed of course) because there are some unsavory types in them thar woods. Some play banjos, some wear sombreros..

My experience up there goes back a few years. I got pretty good wood from slash piles. Mostly Doug fir and the like. When I was there it was dry and easy to drive up close to those piles. Probably not the case right now! I see you were given lots of good advice regarding equipment. I didn't read every response, but don't forget your peace maker. Lots of two and four legged varmints up in those hills!!! Happy cutting.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top