JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So a coworker brought me this old round today. Not sure what it is. It looks like a .50 cal but the stamp on the bottom says 52. Is that the caliber of it or just a marking?

Thought I would pick the brain of those that have way more experience than I do.
IMG_0117.JPG IMG_0118.JPG IMG_0119.JPG

Do you have a micrometer if so take some measurements the first being the diameter of the bullet and secondly the length of the case and diameter of the base of the case. This woud go a long ways towards identifying what you have.

Federal Cartridge 1952
Crimped primer, so it's military

Hard to get a handle on the scale of it from the pics.
A guess without dimensions would be 50 BMG

Edit:
I see you put dimensions up
I'll stick with my guess.

Dood....come closer......go to Harbor Fright and get a digital caliper!
They are cheap now and accurate enough for handloading, etc.
I swear they are all made at the same Chinese factory and badged Lyman, RCBS, Pittsburg, etc
I even got a free one from VXB bearings and it's nicer than the bought ones.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's Canadian. Manufactured in 1952, or 52. Most likely, anyway.
1952 is right. Canada, no. Looks like it has an L on there. If it was just C, it wouldn't be Canada anyways. It would have been from Germany, Italy, or Ohio.
Thats what I was thinking but the 52 stamped in it through me for a loop.
On military ammo the number stamped is the year. Civilian ammo has the round stamped on there.

LC 52=Lake City 1952..

1952 is right. Canada, no. Looks like it has an L on there. If it was just C, it wouldn't be Canada anyways. It would have been from Germany, Italy, or Ohio.

On military ammo the number stamped is the year. Civilian ammo has the round stamped on there.

LC 52=Lake City 1952..
It's an "F" IMO.
Therefore "Federal Cartridge" as I posted previously.
So it would have come from the Federal plant at Anoka, MN and not Lake City.
It could also be foreign with that headstamp.

I think its funny how normal in size they look in a picture until you put a tape to it or look at in person. Then your going holly bubblegum I would hate to get hit by that!! :eek::eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top