JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Keep in mind that shovel was reforged and likely got a better heat treatment then the sh!tty AKs. The critical parts were also still made of good metal. Unlike the poor AKs.

My point was more about overall QC, properly installed trunion, aligned sight tower, propetly working piston, and a badass shovel handle stock :D

And yeah, if a guy can properly heat treat a shovel blade, why can't a real gun maker?

My point was more about overall QC, properly installed trunion, aligned sight tower, propetly working piston, and a badass shovel handle stock :D

And yeah, if a guy can properly heat treat a shovel blade, why can't a real gun maker?
Because realistically its expensive and not easy to make an AK compared to the AR. If an American company made a good quality AK it would be well above 1 grand.

A friend has one of those mini 1911 Llama's in 22lr that he bought new in the late 70's. He was telling me it will dump the mag w/one trigger pull. I've shot it a few times and it hasn't done it to me. Last time in X-mas valley he was shooting it and probably every other mag he'd get double or triple fires. Twice it emptied the mag on the 1st shot. I couldn't get it to do it. He was having fun, it's been doing it for years. Almost sounds like 1 report it dumps them so fast. He won't fix it, thinks it's too much fun.

Not asking about ugly, bad ergonomics, or low perceived value. I want to know this:

What brand you fear would fail you when you need it most?

The taurus thread has me thinking I don't want anyone's money for that level of horrible customer service and there has to be more to just not offer. Future customers will thank you for sparing them a bad purchase.
Taurus
Olympic Arms

Marlin made a tube-fed .22 semi in the 80's, the Glenfield Model 60. Brilliant rifle for the first 200-300 total round count, then it became pickier and pickier despite numerous surgical cleanings, careful lubing and different brands of ammo. I wasn't alone with this. Already knew and ran into a dozen shooters who experienced this identical decline into uselessness. Damn shame, good looking rifle and pretty accurate between the inevitable jams.

Not asking about ugly, bad ergonomics, or low perceived value. I want to know this:

What brand you fear would fail you when you need it most?

The taurus thread has me thinking I don't want anyone's money for that level of horrible customer service and there has to be more to just not offer. Future customers will thank you for sparing them a bad purchase.

Today, Remington and much of the work from the freedom group is just abhorrent.

The only one i can say first hand for sure would be Remington 870. I know they are popular, but i have had the extractor pin break and remington wanted close to what the gun cost to repair it. And even now it still jams all the time after it starts to heat up from continual use.
Another, I really like my berretta, and had no issues with it, but just wasn't as accurate as i would like it.
I love my sig sauer. comfortable, reliable, user friendly, and dead on accurate.

Most of my guns are Rugers and perform flawlessly.

I did buy a little Kel-Tec P3AT .380 auto a few years ago. It was my first EDC. The gun shoots every time, but is a vicious little snapper on recoil and tries to bite me when I work the slide. Hard to hit anything with that gun. I still have it though and carry it when wearing shorts. Just don't like the damn thing very much. My Ruger LC9s is much better for EDC.

When I decided that I need an AK stablemate for my AR15, I opted for a Century Arms C39V2. I should have done more research, but I bought into the "American Made AK" myth. At around 2000 rounds the bolt and carrier started to look like they were made out of bad pot metal. I managed to finally get rid of that POS and splurged for an Arsenal SAM7SF.

Happy camper now.

Guns I have had reliability problems with:

Kel-Tec p-11 (POS)
Kel-Tec sub2000 2017 recal on it for the stock tube poor Manufacturing
Ruger 10/22 take down- improper heat treatment on the barrel
Ruger sr1911 camander-bad barrel couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it.
Taurus judge public defender- I couldn't get through a cylinder without it locking up:confused:
Taurus 738 tcp- the barrels rifling was cut wrong causing poor accuracy.
And finally CZ p10c where do I start :confused: the rotating firing pin or loose back plate that that causes malfunctions.

Another vote for Kimber.

Beautiful elegant and sleek. Better throw it at a burglar if things get sticky. With that said, I own two that I haven't been able to part with.
Terrible reliability no matter how many supposedly, break in rounds and trips back to the factory you have. o_O
I bought three Kimber 1911s in the '90s and have only fired my full sized Stainless. Recently, the plastic mainspring housing broke, so I put an $$$ aluminum aftermarket one in and the action wouldn't work, so I sent it back to Kimber ($48 with transfer fee/postage). Kimber came back and said that there had been "sear work" (no); an aftermarket mainspring housing (yes); and that the gun was "rusty" (barrel, hammer and internal parts) ... yes, some discoloration, but no rust. This was my duty gun for years, so you'd expect some issues. They wanted about $470 for a repair and new parts. I said to return it without repair. My FFL holder told them...in writing... to return it to me directly. Instead, they sent it back to my FFL who had to charge me for logging it in, doing the NCIC thing, etc. So, after a total of $70, I got the thing back. I've talked to several "Kimber Guys" and two gunsmiths, who said Kimber's repair costs are inflated and that service is poor. Any other owners out there with similar stories? Steele on Camano Island

Based on personal experience, Sig Sauer, had 3 different models, and they've all had problems. I traded away all but the the first Sig I bought; which is a P232. It had issues too, but not as bad as the P290RS and the P938 SAS. Had a few issue with S&W revolvers, but nothing mechanical, just front sights blowing off on two different models, and the paint popping out of the rear sight on an S&W M&P 40 Shield; also an original Bodyguard 380 that had a laser that never worked right, got rid of it too.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top