JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Been looking at Christensen arms mpr for long range and hunting. But the calibers! 6.5cm, 6.5 prc, 300 prc, 338. What do I choose? Occasional elk hunter and paper puncher out to 1000+ yards. Any input would make me smitten.

I would go 300Wm / 7mag / 308
It's more of a personal choice your going to be living with it and carrying it cleaning it loading for it
GL

I dunno what you like, but I would go with a Nosler rifle in .28 Nosler. Or if you want step to a .30 Nosler. Its what I have. Its light, 1/2 MOA and butter smooth action. I have all the others motioned above and they are great.

I was poking at Ruger to bring the Long Range Hunter out in 300PRC, but what I really want is a Hwkeye Hunter in 300 PRC without having to build it myself.

Another Tikka vote. T3 Sporter in 6.5 Creedmore. Screen Shot 2020-01-18 at 1.50.57 PM.png

is this more for hunting or paper?
I buy guns for hunting but for obvious reason, I spent more time shooting paper/gongs in off season.
I really enjoy my tikka in 6.5 CM,
but 1000 yards the PRC for sure. in either 6.5 or 300.
Been hearing lots of good things about bergara

Right now I'm between the Christensen mpr and Q the Fix. Both fold. 6.5cm in the fix. Both fold and are light. For hunting, and also for suppressed paper/steel to 1000 yards. Anything over and I will build something dedicated for such

I regularly shoot at 1200 yds. #300 win mag or 338 Lapua mag. The effect on target is my determinant. At that distance. 6mm +/_ caliber , is so weak to barely break a 1/4" tile. The 338 effect is explosive. That's my pick.

I would punch paper with a hunting rifle, I'd never hunt with a paper-punching rifle.
The OP is looking for a 1000 yard elk hunting rifle. Its going to be somewhat heavy and probably should be good at "punching paper" and ringing steel. I also wouldn't shoot at an elk with a lighter hunting weight rifle not built for long range shooting/hunting. I also would not use a 6.5 creedmoor, as some guys here are suggesting, for shooting elk at 1000 yards. It's just not ethical because your chances of wounding said critter is far greater with a smaller caliber at that distance. And the creedmoor just doesn't have enough oomph at that range, unless everything is perfect. This includes shot angle, position of the animal, IE: broadside, and bullet construction. At minimum, I'd be looking at a 30 cal magnum or a 33 cal magnum rifle. And to tell you the truth, I'd also learn to be a better indian as well....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top