JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
One of these would be great to find, but you'd really need to be VERY lucky!! It's a 1937 Mauser ES350B with a x2.5 Ajack scope. Shoots nicely, too. :)
Is the stock on your Mauser the factory stock?
I ask because my Dad's '98 has a very similar checkering pattern on it.
I've always been under the assumption that the stock was an aftermarket thingy Dad got in the 50's, but if yours is what the gun came with from the factory, that puts a whole new light on the "sporterizing" Dad did to his gun.

Every single part of my rifle is original in every way - except for the scope, that is. But then, that was not part of the original deal. the correct scope was made by Oigee - as were the mounts - figure on around another $1000 for them.

If your dad's '98 has checkering it might look like my Model B sporting rifle from 1912. This is a commercial rifle of low grade sold to hunters around the world at that time. Mine was bought at the Army & Navy Stores in London in 1913 and taken to Africa where it stayed until 1990. I bought it then. A fellow shooter in our club went to boarding school in Harare with the grandson of the original owner, and he actually learned to shoot with it as a young man.

1609248427729.png
1609248585168.png
However, IF your rifle has a stepped barrel - more pronounced than mine - and actually IS Gewehr 98, the chances are that any stock with checkering on it makes it an after-market effort.

Pics might confirm this or not - over to you.

Last Edited:
My dad got his gun in Japan, in the 1940's or 1950's. It was a military issue rifle that he had sporterized (has the infantry stamps on it).
I was just noticing the checkering between yours and my dad's was similar, and had me thinking that the guy who modded dad's rifle might've gotten the stock from Mauser.
Thanks for the insight on your rifle, though.
It is a beautiful piece of craftsmanship, as are most German arms of that time.

The chances of getting a gun in Japan - where the McArthur Laws prevented Japanese citizens from own any kind of a firearm - were almost non-existent. AFAIK, there were no Mausers in Japan, as Japan had its own military arms manufacturing arsenals at Nagoya and a couple of others.

Also, as Mauser's factories in German were under a post-war pacification embargo, getting a stock, wherever that might have happened, would also have been next to impossible. We need to see the stock, please.

The chances of getting a gun in Japan - where the McArthur Laws prevented Japanese citizens from own any kind of a firearm - were almost non-existent. AFAIK, there were no Mausers in Japan, as Japan had its own military arms manufacturing arsenals at Nagoya and a couple of others.

Also, as Mauser's factories in German were under a post-war pacification embargo, getting a stock, wherever that might have happened, would also have been next to impossible. We need to see the stock, please.
Trust me. He got the gun in Japan.

I can't ever remember buying a "used" .22 rimfire bolt action rifle, at least none that I haven't had the opportunity to examine thoroughly.
I've just seen too many customer rimfires come through the door with issues of neglect. I do have a couple of CZ's, a Ruger 77/22, my very first bolt rifle, a Winchester Model 67 and one of the new Savage Mark II .22 rimfire bolt guns:

Tt4JvR2l.jpg

All are fun to shoot, and I need to try some of this ammunition as soon as the white turns green in a few more months:

zIjsnVcl.jpg

Held and fondled one at my LGS. It would have been a purchase if it wasn't for the hideous laser engraving of the CZ457 Royal on the side of the stock. Ruins a beautiful gun in my opinion. Everything else was top notch as you would expect from CZ.
1/2x20 threads kind of kill it for me. Though adapters exist, I like a clean look.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top