JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
don't have much personal experience but i have the Ruger Precision 22LR. Pretty heavy compare to my S&W MP15-22, especially after optic and bipod. note this and the MP15-22 are primarily for my kids so expectation is much lower... :D

I am a big .22lr fan and own half a doz. My favorite is a Browning A-Bolt .22 with open sights and a low power scope. The A-Bolt is a beautiful rifle but
currently out of production. You may find one on the used market. Very accurate and handles like a sporting rifle. I have 2 semi auto`s and 3 pumps.

There are many options to choose from, I feel myself leaning towards a few but I wonder what the local crowd here favors. I have a ruger 10/22, and a ruger mk iv, I could go the American rimfire route and share mags or one of the many other brands. I would like to keep the rifle under 600, some of the higher end rifles I have been eyeing are the Tikka t1x or the cz 457. What bolt action 22's do you enjoy/recommend?

We special ordered a new CZ 457 Scout for my husband.

This will be his back up - second CZ Scout that he owns.

Cate

Cate
Congrats on your latest grab, Catherine!
Nice little shooter. Reminds me of the 527 Carbine.
:s0155:

Bergara B14r, Carbon Barrel, she's a shooter, 100 yard group was shot cold bore, which in a Rimfire means that the warm wax has settled in the barrel since it was last warm and can lead to inconsistent first shot due to wax building up in an uneven way, first round is closest to the bull and opens up the group quite a bit.
1CEA1932-5BE5-4126-B8AB-0E0E70FB7401.png 11B9FE84-2547-4CBF-BCBA-C025A84E701E.png
799DB49F-0A5C-4D29-86B3-615F6E076FAE.jpeg

Cate

The special ordered CZ 457 Scout came in on Thursday!

She is a really sweet rifle. My husband is a happy camper.

Thanks to my FFL dealer in Western Montana, B., who is a member of this forum too. We APPRECIATE your good service!

Cate

I just bought a Tikka T1X .22LR with a 16" barrel put a 6x20 scope on it and turned the trigger down to about 1 1/2lbs got to say it has a very nice trigger, hope to get it out and shoot it sunday.

A good budget rifle is the Marlin XT-22. I bought one about a year ago and it's a great shooting rifle for $210 new. I put a Nikon scope on it and tried over 17 different flavors of ammo. So far mine groups Blazer 40gr LRN the best, with CCI Velicitors and Stingers being the next best.
The trigger is adjustable and very good. My guess is that it's the same or very similar to the Marlin XL7 trigger, used on center fire rifles. After shooting this gun I understood why I couldn't get my 10/22 to group any Ammo. It's because the 10/22 trigger is so heavy and terrible.
For the price of more popular rifles, this one can be had and fitted with a good scope and have money for Ammo left over. If mine is representative, they are fine shooters. 1600736578286.jpeg 1600736695869.jpeg

I have owned many 22 bolt action rifles. Most are single shots. I had a 40X that I was going to convert to mag fed, but I sold it in favor of a new at the time custom. It's not in the price range your in, but my Vudoo shoots as good as any Annie I have ever shot and is mag fed. It's the same footprint as a R700, and mine sits in an AI AX chassis. The mags for it are the same size as the AICS mags, and is a slick set up.
If I was in your price range, I'd go with the CZ. It has great aftermarket support, and can shoot with right up there.

I have an JC Higgins 42DL, it was my first 22lr bolt action, and even though I had to clean stalls for a whole summer to get it from grandpa, or that it was his since his youth, used to shoot heads off of turkeys when he was my age, if I could believe him, or that the magazine was lost years before I ever knew it existed, it was the straightest shooting 22 at every boys camp I ever went to.
I have several magazines for it today, and it has yet to be belittled by other rifles with iron sights that I have shot, which may have alot to do with me shooting and cleaning it for 30 years or so.

I may someday get a better picture, but first my cat would have to not be interested in everything I do near his bench seat.

I have also heard it called the marlin model 80.
I recommend getting one if opportunity ever presents for you.
DSCF1668.JPG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads