JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've heard of the South Americans also using Llamas and Alpacas as guard animals with their sheep flocks...

as I am deaf, a noisemaker of any sort is really USELESS for me...unless it is louder than 100 decibels.... (150+ would be around what I would hear quite well.....as well as deafening to the intruder..... ;) :rolleyes:

more I would be using something like a strobe light or flashing device connected to a tripwire. a camera flash unit would be a good way to go if it is one of those ancient polaroid tab things that flashes on penetration..... rather than requiring batteries or power unit.

I've heard of the South Americans also using Llamas and Alpacas as guard animals with their sheep flocks...

as I am deaf, a noisemaker of any sort is really USELESS for me...unless it is louder than 100 decibels.... (150+ would be around what I would hear quite well.....as well as deafening to the intruder..... ;) :rolleyes:

more I would be using something like a strobe light or flashing device connected to a tripwire. a camera flash unit would be a good way to go if it is one of those ancient polaroid tab things that flashes on penetration..... rather than requiring batteries or power unit.

I remember about 15 years or so ago I helped my dad build a thing for my cousin (also deaf) that would set off a strobe light when the phone rang so he knew to answer the TDD.

One possibility is to use the "fire alarm" type strobe lights... these things usually have some kind of power circuit, and then a low-voltage control circuit, fairly easy to use/work with. I built a 12V alarm I use for camping (bears and other critters can be a big problem) you put stakes all around, and hook it up with trip wires, when a trip-wire is tripped it closes a switch and turns on a 12VDC school bell.

I remember about 15 years or so ago I helped my dad build a thing for my cousin (also deaf) that would set off a strobe light when the phone rang so he knew to answer the TDD.

One possibility is to use the "fire alarm" type strobe lights... these things usually have some kind of power circuit, and then a low-voltage control circuit, fairly easy to use/work with. I built a 12V alarm I use for camping (bears and other critters can be a big problem) you put stakes all around, and hook it up with trip wires, when a trip-wire is tripped it closes a switch and turns on a 12VDC school bell.

you know...9v batteries are pretty plentiful around here and can last long....I see there's camp strobe systems for bears and critters, I am thinking it is going to be nigh hilarious if using one of these in an area known for wackos and druggies, with differently colored lens, give the effect of "UFO!??" or whatnot.... ;) :p tho being a practical man myself...I can see those being very useful around camp for alerting me.

http://www.newamericantruth.com/2012/04/brite-strikes-perimeter-alarm-lighting-systems/

The complete CAPSS "system" (what comes in the box) includes:

1X 135dB Audible Alarm With Red Lens Flashlight
Blue Side Flashing LED's
2X 10 Meter Trip Wire
2X Blue APALS™
2X Nylon Zip Ties
1X 8″ Super Duty Adhesive Tape

I would be able to hear THAT....without hearing aids. it would be quite low sound to me but quite loud to the hearing people around me. ....

I like the peacocks idea.. they make a huge ruckus and it kinda sounds all jungle like and primitive. Cuuucaaaaw cuucaaaw! If you get hungry you can eat their eggs or have roast bird - they are prolific and free range pretty well too. Have some neighbors near us with guinea hens... they don't ever quit and pretty much sound like they are bring collectively and repeatedly violated. I can't repeat the sound.. it's not appropriate. I have heard of alpacas and donkeys protecting herds well, but I don't have any of those and not sure on perimeter effectiveness? I had a Lhasa growing up and she was super good on protectively alerting too, but not particularly consistent if you knew how to talk to her.

Beastmaster had it all handled.. birds and stuff doing his bidding.. especially that redheaded bird clutching his knee. that's what I'm talkin bout

I will second peacocks and donkeys... Coyotes are quite ill prepared to deal with angry dog-hating donkeys, they are frequently used to guard sheep flocks:

Protect Your Flock with Guard Donkeys - Hobby Farms

I'll be honest, I think peacocks are absolutely annoying, when disturbed even slightly they make a lot of noise, will not shut up no matter what. However, they're native to india and probably won't work too well in the PNW.

PeaCocks thrive in the nortwest.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top