JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up a Ruger 10/22 Carbine at Dicks a few days ago since they were on sale for $199, and wanted to do some basic upgrades without spending too much money. So far, my research indicates the following 4:
-Auto bolt release
-Edge extractor 'kit'
-Better firing pin
-Tech sights (Dual leaf flip apertures)

Aside from the Tech sights, I'm even sure I should get the other upgrades listed. Anyone have suggestions for other 10/22 'must have' updates?

Not sure anything is "must have", though they are nice to do. So, in addition to what you have listed:

-bolt buffer
-mag release extension
-BX trigger upgrade or similar trigger up grade work
-Skinner peep sights

Thanks, the bolt buffer and mag release extension look like pretty good upgrades. I've been surprised at the amount some people spend upgrading this rifle (no judgement, just an observation).

Thanks, the bolt buffer and mag release extension look like pretty good upgrades. I've been surprised at the amount some people spend upgrading this rifle (no judgement, just an observation).

The upgrade thing can become quite the rabbit hole, that's for sure. I had an after market bull barrel and hogue overmold stock on mine for awhile. Didn't like them, so put back on the original barrel and wood stock and am quite happy with it. I think there is another thread where I listed what I did ...... let me look for that thread. It's basically what you're looking at doing here. BRB

Skinner Sights makes a barrel mounted peep sight specifically for the 10/22 takedown. On my standard non-takedown 10/22, I have a Hawke 2-7X32 adjustable objective scope in a Weigand Combat Integra one piece mount, works great for me.

Skinner Sights:
Ruger Firearms

Weigand Integra scope mount:
Ruger 10/22 scope mount Weaver Picatinny WEIG-A-TINNY®

Edited to reflect the Skinner barrel mount peep sights will work with the Ruger 10/22 take down or any 10/22. They are made however to work with the take down. They also make a receiver mounted peep sight for the 10/22 and take down as well.

Here is what else I did and here is a link to that thread.
New 10/22 takedown

After market trigger, and target ammo. If nickel sized groups aren't good enough and you want dime sized groups, then maybe an after market barrel. The other stuff is fluff poured in a hole.

Extended mag release, different trigger, barrel (although usually that means a different stock too) , some kind of optic.

Then maybe an extended bolt handle. and That would be where I stop messing with a 10/22.

The other stuff is fluff poured in a hole.
AAAA-MEN!!!!

although my CDO precision-22LR buddy had considerable in his 10/22 elcheapo that does just fine for the dime size holes.....after achieving par targets with his $$high$$ 100 yard competition friends, he caught the bug & didn't stop until after spending over $600 on some exotic match sights (alone) to add to his marvelous Anschutz....match head size holes then was his game. I actually shot it standing free style, with 5 into almost one hole (at 50 yards) but the thrill was not so great it sucked me into that game.....and I've gotten too geezer-wobbly to train for that anyway.

I was following the 10/22 builds on the rimfire.com a few years ago and was simply overwhelmed with the variety of possibilities in modification. I still marvel at the guy who built 10/22 look-alike firing versions of all the machine guns of WW2.

Last Edited:
There are so many after market upgrades available. I've owned many 10/22's of many models. I've owned a couple Target models, and it was a minuscule improvement over a sporter, and they still needed better triggers. It would be simpler for me to say the Target models are a waste of money.

A while back, Ruger released a model simply called the 10/22 Tactical. Don't know why they called it that, as there's nothing tactical about it. It's got a heavy and very short barrel. They now call it the Tactical Target, model #1230. I found quickly that it shot far better than their Target model. It is now the 2nd most accurate 10/22 I've ever shot. The only one that was more accurate, was a similar one owned by my buddy, with an un-labeled after market barrel, which looked identical to mine, other than being stainless.

My point is, if you need a really cool 10/22, there are no limits. If you only want a really accurate 10/22, get a version similar to mine, replace the trigger, and prepare to be very pleased.
60913_1.jpg

Gotta say too, as extremely accurate as my 10/22 Tactical is, it is no more accurate than my completely stock Ruger American Rimfire, costing $239.o_O

I only have two upgrades to mine so far:

1. Magpul X-22 Stock
2. Power Custom Ti extended mag release

Someday I'll change out the trigger assembly and add a pin rail w/ghost sights, haven't made up my mind which ones yet.

Appreciate all the replies. College expenses for my son will definitely keep me from going too far down the rabbit hole on a $199 rifle, but some of the basic upgrades (Tech sights/auto bolt release in particular) seem like a good idea. I keep thinking that guys that drop $1k on these things can't possibly be married o_O (again, no judgement)

I put scopes and 25rnd mags on mine! :cool:

Funny story. When I went and bought it, I thought the included 10 round mag was missing since I couldn't find it in the box. I pointed it out to the sales guy and his manager and they let me upgrade to a 25 round mag for $10. I got home and discovered that the 10 rounder actually came in the rifle :eek:. When I went back to pay for the balance of the 25 round mag they just let me have it, which was pretty nice of them.

Go easy, you can end up dropping well over a grand in "upgrades" and still only have a .22LR good for plinking.

No matter what mods you put into them 10/22s, they almost always shoot nearly as well as a factory stock model.....

The single biggest helper for me was a pleasant 4x30 glass scope; a ton of practice ammo followed by a few bricks of decent target ammo; maybe the Harris bipod led me to practice more....

I signed up for a most enjoyable weekend with the Appleseed Project, encourage all to check that out especially for your kids/grand kids.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top