JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks Mike. Is that something you're making on a fairly regular basis? I'd consider ordering some if so. IF we get the gun. I haven't heard back from the seller yet. Also, I loaded plated bullets for the .30-30 and a light crimp into the plating shot well. I would think it should be safe for this too.
I do try to keep both loads in stock but being a one man shop it's easy to get behind in production.
The Lee Factory Crimp Die works well for crimping where there is no cantilure you just need to be careful not to crimp thru the plating/coating and expose the lead.

I do try to keep both loads in stock but being a one man shop it's easy to get behind in production.
The Lee Factory Crimp Die works well for crimping where there is no cantilure you just need to be careful not to crimp thru the plating/coating and expose the lead.
Yes! That Lee crimp die is THE bomb. That's what I got for the .30-30. Very easy to adjust.

@Mikej I have a Rossi 92 in .38/.357 on backorder from my distributor. Henry and Rossi lever guns are all backordered from what I can see. Very frustrating.

I previously had a Winchester 94 in 30-30, but this will be my first Rossi. I ordered it sight-unseen.. The Rossi is the most affordable Winchester 92 clone I could find. I've heard about the fit and finish being rough, but I figure probably nothing I can't polish or upgrade. An actual Winchester lever gun in .38/.357 would be easily over $1000 at this point.

Last Edited:
@Mikej I have a Rossi 92 in .38/.357 on backorder from my distributor. Henry and Rossi lever guns are all backordered from what I can see. Very frustrating.

I previously had a Winchester 94 in 30-30, but this will be my first Rossi. I ordered it sight-unseen.. The Rossi is the most affordable Winchester 92 clone I could find. I've heard about the fit and finish being rough, but I figure probably nothing I can't polish or upgrade. An actual Winchester lever gun in .38/.357 would be easily over $1000 at this point. So Rossi it is.
Now I feel like got lucky when I picked up a Winchester AE in .357/.38 several years ago. Pretty steep at the time, but not outrageous. Good now though.

I haven't heard back from the guy at the show yet though on this one.

We saw a Rossi stainless lever gun in .45 colt today at a show. Just wondering what experiences people have had with these. Wifey was quite enamored with it. Price seemed real good, considering the times. New in box and the action seemed really smooth. Much smoother than the M94 Winchester I recently picked up.
My worry is, if she gets this, that I'll be needing to find a matching stainless single action revolver too somewhere down the line! Also, just what I need, another caliber to find brass and bullets, and dies, for! But I've become pretty fond of historic calibers too.
I own two and love them both.

Opinions I have read about the Rossi M92 are that is isn't bad, but like many things Taurus (who owns Rossi), it is 50/50 as to whether you get one that needs some smoothing work or not.

My Rossi M92 in .44 mag is one that does not need that work.

Compared to my Miroku Winchester M92 it isn't anything special, but then it cost less than half as much and I am not afraid to let it get beat up, whereas the Winchester is a safe queen.

YMMV

Parts may be more available if needed for the Rossi? I know a guy who has been sitting on a Winchester 94 44 magnum because in over 15 years he hasn't been able to get a replacement lifter/carrier.

Kinda off topic... but folks were just mentioning how expensive Winchesters were so I took a look at gunbroker for the year/model/caliber of one of mine and got a bit of sticker shock. Easily 1300-1700ish.... That can't be what people actually pay for them is it??? Asking price doesn't necessarily mean "selling" price... right?

What the heck happened to drive them up that high so fast?? Seems like not too many years ago they were kinda in the 500-700ish range. What gives??

Even Rossi's look to be 600-700ish. That seems incredibly spendy. (Not that I particularly think gunbroker prices are all that based in reality) 🤣

Last Edited:
I'm a snob and likely wont own a Rossi anytime soon. I keep thinking I'll buy one, but then a real Winchester or Marlin comes along, and I am thusly blessed.

That said, I've handled and shot a few. They always fed and always shot. I've found them also to be as accurate as a Winchester or Marlin. Some are rougher than others, but there are fixes for that. There are fewer fixes for poor fitting components.

I understand, Winchesters and Marlins are both scarce and expensive and a guy has to do what he has to do, or go without.

Easily 1300-1700ish.... That can't be what people actually pay for them is it???
Well, that's what I paid for my recent purchased. A close to flawless, 94 in .30-30. Then it was a very late '41/January '42 model. I thought that was special due to the start of WWII.
I saw a 1952 M94 .30-30 in 85%, I would say, condition was $950.00 at the show yesterday. Had I not got mine awhile ago I would have got that one.

I'm a snob and likely wont own a Rossi anytime soon. I keep thinking I'll buy one, but then a real Winchester or Marlin comes along, and I am thusly blessed.

That said, I've handled and shot a few. They always fed and always shot. I've found them also to be as accurate as a Winchester or Marlin. Some are rougher than others, but there are fixes for that. There are fewer fixes for poor fitting components.
LOL. Glad to see you admit the "Snob" factor. I'm somewhat embarrassed to be that way because I don't feel i know enough to be a snob. :s0114:

A few thoughts....

The OP mentioned a liking for historic calibers.
While the .45 Colt is an excellent cartridge and a historic cartridge...
It was never offered in a long gun during the 19th century...'course neither was stainless steel.

I like the Rossi 92 replicas....even in cartridges or made in materials never offered in the 19th century...
Just saying the above as something to consider for a person's idea of use.

I do not care at all for the dumbazz safety on the rifles / carbines...they are hideous to look at..and not needed to be present.

I have owned a Rossi 92 Carbine and found it to be a excellent shooter and easy to carry.
Any "roughness" in the action was smoothed out over usage.
The fit and finish were good...while as noted not up to older Winchester standards.
With that said...it wasn't a older Winchester...the carbine taken on its own merits was a great firearm.
Andy

Kinda off topic... but folks were just mentioning how expensive Winchesters were so I took a look at gunbroker for the year/model/caliber of one of mine and got a bit of sticker shock. Easily 1300-1700ish.... That can't be what people actually pay for them is it??? Asking price doesn't necessarily mean "selling" price... right?

What the heck happened to drive them up that high so fast?? Seems like not too many years ago they were kinda in the 500-700ish range. What gives??

Even Rossi's look to be 600-700ish. That seems incredibly spendy. (Not that I particularly think gunbroker prices are all that based in reality) 🤣
IIRC I paid like $450 for my Rossi carbine (16" barrel) in okay shape (like I said before, I think of it as something that I won't cry over if it gets beat up).

And I think I paid $1200 for the Miroku Winchester '92 takedown trapper with octagon barrel - NIB.

Bother were from NWFA members.

Gun Broker? Meh - I don't think I will ever buy anything on that site.

I wonder the same thing. This is way beyond just inflation. Seems like short supply + inflation + scalpers.

I was at the grocery store yesterday and there were way too many empty shelves. When I was a kid I worked at a grocery store and I notice these things. It is really odd and troubling.

Last Edited:
R92 in 38/357

My FAVORITE take to the range / plinking gun.

Mine is very accurate with the hand loads I've worked up for it in both 38 and 357. I've also dialed-in the roll crimp on my handholds so feeding is smooth.

I can ping steel at 25 yards pretty fast. Slow down, and consistent hits at 50 yards is no problem.

My son-in-law is really good with this rifle, as well.

Decent value for the money (they're obviously, relatively cheap).

A blast to shoot, and that's what it's all about.

IMG_1334.jpeg

I stopped in at Fisherman's Marine in OC on my way home from my monthly treatment and they had a new stainless Rossi in 44. It came home with me, I have other 44's but always wanted a lever in said caliber. The wife immediately took it out back, fired a few rounds through it, and said I should get one for me, LOL. It seems very well made, had a slight ding on the outer edge on the end of the barrel, they knocked $50 off for it. I feel it's a great value for the money.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top