JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently saw a video of the Calico 9mm rifle and was quite intrigued with it. As I no not have a rifle in that caliber I just may want to get one. I find the whole idea of having a somewhat unique gun interesting. Any thoughts on this rifle?

I have tinkered with one several years ago. Not the most reliable feeding gun but that could of changed by now. I got frustrated and down the road it went. ymmv

Back when the Calico 22s came out a friend of mine had a pistol and a carbine. He also had both 50 and 100 round magazines. IT didn't matter which gun, or what magazine, but you could fire off a handful of shots, then "something" would happen. It would have various kinds of misfeeds and malfunctions. I do not ever remember getting through one full magazine without a problem.
Never gave one a second glance since then.
I spose it's possible the 9mm is a different animal. I'd not try.

The 22 versions when first introduced had feeding issues due to incorrect feed ramp. There was a fix (dremel tool) but they started changing the ramp and it fixed the issue. You also needed to only wind the mags as instructed in the manual which wasn't followed by most and it would cause issues with feeding. I could empty 100rds with no issues using CCI mini mag ammo but basic lead type ammo would jam.

I've had a pistol and rifles but only in 22lr. the 9mm as far as I know depends on following the instructions to wind the mags. They were talking introducing a .40 version a while back which would have been on my list to get but I believe they are not producing anything now. I ordered parts direct from them in Beaverton before but not sure if they still sell anything looking at their website.

I will preface this by saying I have essentially no real world experience with them, beyond handling a few over the years. Nearly everything I've read about or heard from owners boils down to: super neat idea on paper, a jam-o-matic in real life. Is it true? Hey, I don't know, but after three decades of them being around, I have to figure there is something to that.

But if you are a Spaceball, and you're livin in a bubble and you haven't got a care, it is the weapon of choice.

800px-Spaceballs_1.jpg

I will preface this by saying I have essentially no real world experience with them, beyond handling a few over the years. Nearly everything I've read about or heard from owners boils down to: super neat idea on paper, a jam-o-matic in real life. Is it true? Hey, I don't know, but after three decades of them being around, I have to figure there is something to that.

But if you are a Spaceball, and you're livin in a bubble and you haven't got a care, it is the weapon of choice.

View attachment 421309

My intrest in them has yielded the same results - cool but unreliable.

For what they're wanting for them, I'd just get an AR9. If you want 50 or 100 round mags they make Glock drums that will be reliable, and the 33 round funsticks are fairly cheap too.

Calico .22 with 100rd drums. I wouldn't depend my life on it, but if you wind the mags correctly, it's fun blowing off half a brick with a quick change. Lol. Things do take half a day to load though :confused:
In 9mm, I've shot the 50s and again reliable with mags wound correctly and using ball ammo.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top