JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Oh man this will probably be long as most of my firearm purchases in the last 10 years have been around the SHtF scenario. Here are my basic ideas.
  1. The most common calibers
  2. The most common models
  3. Durability & reliability
  4. Right tool for the job
Most common calibers – for SHtF situations I want to be able to find the ammo I'm going to need as OP pointed out. Common calibers are a double edged sword in that I won't be the only person looking for the ammo but on the other hand am more likely to find what I'm looking for. For me right now my current firearm inventory includes .22 LR, .223/5.56mm NATO, 7.62x39, .308/7.62mm NATO, 9mm NATO, .38 Special/.357 Magnum, .45 ACP, 12 gauge.

My outlier is 5.7. I have 2k rounds of it but no gun to shoot it as I haven't actually gotten a PS90 or Five seveN yet and may not.

Most common models – bubblegum breaks so, I want to be able to find parts for my guns. The majority of my guns are extremely if not the most common models you can get. Ready to be bored? Ruger 10/22 TD, Stag Model 3 AR-15, Remington 700 in .308, Glock 19 Gen 4, S&W Shield 9mm, Sig P320 (with the military contract this will become more and more common), Remington 870 x2. Can you get more common?

I do have outliers again. My currently carry gun is a Sig P938. For 7.62x39 I have a Draco. For .38/.357 my S&W TRR8 327. I also have a Scorpion Evo 3 S1 (which I will put a tailhook on with the CZ folding stock arm). Lastly my .45 is a 1911. I will likely at some point pick up a G21 as my primary .45 gun. I just love my 1911. When I do get a G21 I will immediately replace the barrel as I've read some pretty alarming things about Glocks and the higher pressure rounds kabooming and destroying their barrels (and gun).

Durability and Reliability – I think I covered this in my models.

Right tool for the job – with all the above you can see what I have at my disposal. My 10/22 Takedown is sitting in the Magpul Backpacker stock and represents my 1 gun. If I had to bug out on foot, in most situations this is my grab and go gun along with a sidearm, either my G19 or Sig P320 C RX. But I kind of have my guns setup like a standard FPS. I have my sidearm, my battle rifles, my SMG, my Sniper Rifle, my shotguns.

Oh and let's talk accessories because these are pretty important too.

Optics - My AR is running with an Aimpoint Comp M4. If I was rich my Draco would also have one or the Comp M5, the Scorpion as well. Proven durability and these run on AA and AAA batteries. Keep your CR123s, AA is the most common battery in the US and AAA isn't far behind. My 700 (in an AICS 2.0) is topped with a Vortex Viper. It's not as proven as some Military use optics but for what I can afford it's probably as good as I can get. I have a Sig Romeo 5 on my Scorpion. Yes I'd rather have an Aimpoint but again my wallet doesn't agree with me. The Romeo's aren't as proven as bigger brands but it will do until I win the lottery or something. You're not going to find any NCStar or Leapers on top of my guns. OK, I have one, but I bought it before I knew anything about them. it's my shame.

Lights/Lasers - I use an 870 for HD and that's running an Insight Light/Laser that also uses AA. Man I wish they still made these because I'd like at least 5 more of these.

Magazines - As far as mags my goto are either a. factory mags or b. Magpul. I avoid mags with questionable reputation (I'm looking at you ProMag).

Knew this would be long.

Last Edited:
General Plan:

1) get said firearm
2) survive

The Marines taught my son "battle plans don't survive the first encounter";

While there really does have to be some degree of preparation for the unknown, exact plans at my level is likely to be 'too tightly drawn' and confuse the wayward Pilgrim. o_O

I may venture out into another caliber which at one point I didn't want to do. 5.56, 308, 9mm and 45 ACP are my main ones. Not sure which direction to go at this point to be honest.

Those are some great calibers, and with those covered, I'm thinking your next option might be up, down, or all around... ;-)

Up: Something more more range, or maybe more specifically, for taking larger game, e.g. 30.06 or 7mm, etc...

Down: i.e. 22LR, super cheap, so easy to stock plenty of it, light weight to carry a lot of it, if needed, plenty of ammo/rifles/handguns in circulation, relatively quiet when suppressed, no need to waste larger, more expensive ammo on small game. I suppose you could also get a high velocity pellet gun for some of the same reasons, plus the ability to possibly shoot something using air pressure, if out of rounds/gun powder.

All around: Some kind of shotgun... Most likely 12 gauge, since the ammo tends to be reasonably priced, and you can run anything from birdshot to buckshot to slugs for the range of applications from pest control/small game, to birds, go large game to self-defense. Also plenty of them (and ammo) in circulation out there.

@cHaOsReX , give 5.7 another consideration! Obviously depends on your personal circumstances, but for us that caliber is near on the perfect midrange personal defense system.

Ps90 & FN5.7.

Ammo is a touch over what 5.56 was but a few weeks ago over at Palmetto state armory, shipped!

22LR, super cheap, so easy to stock plenty of it, light weight to carry a lot of it, if needed, plenty of ammo/rifles/handguns in circulation, relatively quiet when suppressed, no need to waste larger, more expensive ammo on small game.

P.S. Another vote for 22LR, is that it is common enough that I could see it being used as currency when no one has any desire for paper money. Sure, other caliber would be used for currency too, but they'd be worth a lot more, likely more scare, and people would probably be less inclined to part with what they had (e.g. if you have 200 rounds of 30.06, 1000 rounds of 5.56, but 10000 rounds of 22LR, you'd probably be more willing to part with 22LR as currency to trade for other goods/services).

Those are some great calibers, and with those covered, I'm thinking your next option might be up, down, or all around... ;-)

Up: Something more more range, or maybe more specifically, for taking larger game, e.g. 30.06 or 7mm, etc...

Down: i.e. 22LR, super cheap, so easy to stock plenty of it, light weight to carry a lot of it, if needed, plenty of ammo/rifles/handguns in circulation, relatively quiet when suppressed, no need to waste larger, more expensive ammo on small game. I suppose you could also get a high velocity pellet gun for some of the same reasons, plus the ability to possibly shoot something using air pressure, if out of rounds/gun powder.

All around: Some kind of shotgun... Most likely 12 gauge, since the ammo tends to be reasonably priced, and you can run anything from birdshot to buckshot to slugs for the range of applications from pest control/small game, to birds, go large game to self-defense. Also plenty of them (and ammo) in circulation out there.

OH Brother I got all that covered just didn't mention because they aren't my main ones. .22 I own two rifles a pistol and 4000 rounds of ammo. Just sold my 30-06 and all its ammo to a good friend and the 12 gauge yep got that to. :D

I have more .22 RF firearms than anything else just because it is, IMO, the most fun, useful and versatile cartridge to shoot. It is great for training and practice, not just because it is inexpensive, but also because of the low recoil and noise a person can concentrate on technique. I usually try to warm up with .22 RF before shooting centerfire for practice.

As for 5.7 - got two PS90s and two Five Sevens. One of each for a family member who - due to a medical condition - has problems handling heavy firearms and dealing with recoil. One of each for myself as 'get home' guns, since they are lightweight (the Five Seven with 20 rounds is half the weight of a Glock 17 with the same number of rounds), high capacity and share cartridges - I turn 64 this year, I have back problems and I am out of shape, so every ounce counts in my GHB.

If SHTF and I (or someone else) need to work outside on my property, and I don't expect trouble but want to be prepared JIC, then would always have a Five Seven on my person and maybe the PS90 close by.

This is exactly what these two firearms are designed for - not as a "front line" weapon, but as PDWs for people working in the "rear area" who are generally not expected to be engaged in front line fighting, but need defensive weapons in case they are attacked. These would serve as a defense long enough for me to get back to my house and get something more powerful, while not hindering my work. The PS90 fits into my GHB and other containers pretty easily, in part because it takes down into two pieces and goes back together quickly too.

At first I was not convinced. I did not care for the ergos of the PS90 and still do not like the ergos of the Five Seven, but I grew used to the PS90 and found it easy to shoot. The Five Seven is okay to shoot - the grips is large even for my hands and the texture too aggressive - but with Talon rubber applique it is tolerable and the trigger is probably the best striker trigger I have experienced (which doesn't say much for striker triggers, it still doesn't come close to a good DA/SA trigger like a SIG pistol). So I can see that they fill a niche - if someone has a need to fill that niche - there are maybe better choices, but for my family they do well.

If you shop around online, ammo is available, lightweight, small in size and affordable - if only about half as effective as a 5.56x45 firearm. Beyond 2 or 3 types of FN/Federal ammo for defense and practice, other speciality ammo is available, but expensive, scarce and not field tested that I know of (i.e., the speciality defensive ammo - e.g., from Elite - I do not know of any instances where it was actually used against a person whereas FN ammo has been used in such situations and has been shown to be lethal enough).

I don't anticipate needing more than about 2K per 5.7 firearm - as I said, this is not something that one should use as a "front line" weapon - it is a backup, something to use when you don't expect trouble and you need something light and handy when you don't want to go unarmed JIC - something to defend with while running back to your shelter to get more powerful weapons that you don't want to haul around while doing chores.

Also good for group members who have problems with heavier and/or more powerful weapons and those problems cannot be handled with training - e.g., elderly, physical issues, young, untrained/inexperienced.

@cHaOsReX , give 5.7 another consideration! Obviously depends on your personal circumstances, but for us that caliber is near on the perfect midrange personal defense system.

Ps90 & FN5.7.

Ammo is a touch over what 5.56 was but a few weeks ago over at Palmetto state armory, shipped!

My issue with 5.7 isn't the price, it's the scarcity. And we're talking SHtF here, I'm looking at long term rather than short. In long term I want calibers easily scavenged and 5.7 wouldn't make that category (I believe anyway). If it were, say what .40 is to 9mm I'd be all over it (even with the current decline of .40). But I think that 5.7 is probably more like .50AE, meaning more people talk about than actually have it.

Otherwise I love the round for what it is.

My issue with 5.7 isn't the price, it's the scarcity. And we're talking SHtF here, I'm looking at long term rather than short. In long term I want calibers easily scavenged and 5.7 wouldn't make that category (I believe anyway). If it were, say what .40 is to 9mm I'd be all over it (even with the current decline of .40). But I think that 5.7 is probably more like .50AE, meaning more people talk about than actually have it.

Otherwise I love the round for what it is.

Definitely do not plan on being able to scrounge 5.7 - about the only place I think I have ever seen it on the shelf is in the odd LGS and probably not even then. Definitely would need to stock up on it.

But like I said, this is a niche gun, not a main defensive weapon, not something you would turn to if you had a better choice handy (AR, AK, etc.). It is when that AR or AK isn't handy that the 5.7 is. If the Cascadian earthquake hit and there is some semblance of order, but things are a bit iffy, especially in urban areas and I needed to go into town to get supplies, then the PS90 would go under the floor in my cargo area (or hidden elsewhere) and the Five Seven would be on my person.

If I feel the need to carry an AR/AK/FAL and my P227, then I am probably not going far from my home and certainly not into town (except maybe in a dire emergency).

If I run out of 5.7 ammo, then I have much more effective firearms to use that use much more commonly found ammo.

The PS90 and Five Seven are niche guns. If you don't have something more common like an AR/AK/et. al., then get those first. I waited until about two years ago to get the first PS90 because I was not convinced and just did not have the funds to buy them for that niche.

OH Brother I got all that covered just didn't mention because they aren't my main ones. .22 I own two rifles a pistol and 4000 rounds of ammo. Just sold my 30-06 and all its ammo to a good friend and the 12 gauge yep got that to. :D

To quote Mr. Burns: "Exxxxxcellent..." :)

As a side note, for the safety of all man-kind, I sure hope you transferred your 30.06 through an FFL with a BGC... Who knows what kind of misfortune the world might have experienced if you hadn't... ; - )

To quote Mr. Burns: "Exxxxxcellent..." :)

As a side note, for the safety of all man-kind, I sure hope you transferred your 30.06 through an FFL with a BGC... Who knows what kind of misfortune the world might have experienced if you hadn't... ; - )

I like my guns so yes I follow it to the letter of the law! ;)

I live at my BOL and have firearms in the fewest number of calibers possible and still cover my needs as I can best see them. (I pared down years ago for logistical reasons.) They are of a caliber and configuration to suit their purpose and the terrain.

I don't do inventories. ;)

Not knowing what context the SHTF scenario is going to be , most likely your SHTF weapon is going to be the one on your person at that given time. If you make it back to your others fine, but if not best make do.

That it the reason most of the time I carry two guns and in the vehicles are 150 rounds for each one. 2 spare mags for the primary on me at all times as well.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top