JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here are several of mine:

1) The pretty standard strategy of acquiring firearms in standard chamberings, regardless of the advantages of other non-standard cartridges (e.g., 7.62x51 vs. 7mm mag, or 5.56x45 vs. 6.5 Grendel). Not just gov. issue standard cartridges, but also 'standard' civilian cartridges like .45 Colt, .357 mag, .44 mag, .30-06, .30-30, .45-70, .410, 20 ga., etc.

2) For most of the chamberings, have a non semi-auto (bolt, lever, single shot, revolver) chambered for the same cartridge. The plan is to deal with any legal restrictions that may come into play for semi-autos, especially military style firearms. What happens to those firearms if restricted in some way would be for another discussion, but suffice to say they may not be readily accessible or it may not be desirable to use them except in a SHTF scenario. Whereas a revolver or lever action may still be politically correct or at least legal to use.

Also, inexpensive bolt actions (e.g., Ishapore Enfield) may be good stash/cache guns.

3) For the most part, have the same defensive guns for the different members of my group.

What firearm strategies do you follow in prepping?

+1 on above 3 strategies.

I am also making sure I have parts or at least 1 extra complete FA for a back-up. I haven't jumped into the world of reloading so right now I am just trying to acquire all sorts of ammunition for said FA's. HQ, mil-surp, target, ball, HP, AP, etc. I am filling up as many good quality metal ammo cans with said ammo.

I have been rethinking some of mine just in case washington and oregon decide to do a big push to ban certain said evil black rifles.

I am pretty set up and have back ups to most calibers except 5.56 so I am looking into that. I may venture out into another caliber which at one point I didn't want to do. 5.56, 308, 9mm and 45 ACP are my main ones. Not sure which direction to go at this point to be honest.

I am old so I guess my strategy about survival has worked:confused::D No I have never pointed a gun in anger but I have learned all I could about guns. Not just the guns you might point at others but the guns that might get pointed at you. What are the odds the person holding the gun is competent? If you learn all you can about the platforms then you have better odds and you learn by shooting a lot. Watch the hits and misses, study people.

I have no survival firearm strategies Just not something I worry about.

I own two semi auto center fire rifles both WWII era. I tend to buy and own my firearms for pleasure and hunting with some serious target stuff. Other then my various EDC's I don't think along those lines.

That said I have mostly common caliber firearms with a few that you can't normally even find ammo for sale. As I have reloaded almost all my ammo other then shot shell and rim fire that not an issue. I have enough Brass in my various calibers to keep a small community fed for many many years.

Point Of View ... Subjective ... Different ... Respectfully ...

Different reflection and point of view. One light rifle per responsible person. A small load out of ammo. Possibly a ADDITIONAL pistol for adults? Maybe not either. Our philosophy about firearms probably differs from most. Our concept is that if you can not quickly grab it, strap it on OR sling it or keep it presented in both hands AND RUN, you most likely will lose control of it.

Yep. Which may mean, (probably will mean) that you will lose it for good, or perhaps even have it discovered and used against you. Wintertime in SW OR USA. Our yearly wildfire threat is now behind us until next season. Therefore we are now concentrating on that big Earthquake potential. Unlikely in my remaining life time. Fair chance in my kids lifetime. Good chance in my Grandkids.

But ... the one in ten to one in thirty chance of the big one in my remaining years would most likely result in severe to extreme damage to our home. This might include partial collapse. Might also include interior fire potential. It may be impossible to re enter a damaged or burning home to salvage a big gun collection now resting in the basement. Or in a burning home. It may be lost

Sosss ... specific light rifle choices has gone back and forth and around and around over the years. Full circle many times. Sixty, (60) years of collecting and shooting. Right now we are very locked into the USGI M1 and M2 Carbine. The M2 may be sold for a huge profit with the funds released used to dote on the family. I have too many guns. Trying to downsize. So far non successful at all.

The one caliber is the .30 Carbine. The rifle platform is the USGI M1 Carbine. Right now and I believe we still have some time here, is trying to figure out how to address ALL the practice ammo, all the spare parts, the 16 gages and tools and the 12 book M1 Carbine library. Perhaps we can't. But we might be able to figure out some way to obtain, retain and secure our single light rifle.

This endeavor is an offshoot of trying to create last gasp grab and run 2-3 back pack bug out bags. No more room in the back packs for winter conditions. Now we need to figure out some way to include an ADDITIONAL 13+- pound load out for the Carbine, belt,, ammo and mags. There are NOW no firearms in the big SUV SHTF bags. No security. SW Josephine County OR. Dodge City.

Also this does NOT address the need for a LIGHTER SMALLER SHTF bug out back pack and Carbine load out for the grandkids.

All Oregon State, US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply.

Last Edited:
I have been rethinking some of mine just in case washington and oregon decide to do a big push to ban certain said evil black rifles.

I am pretty set up and have back ups to most calibers except 5.56 so I am looking into that. I may venture out into another caliber which at one point I didn't want to do. 5.56, 308, 9mm and 45 ACP are my main ones. Not sure which direction to go at this point to be honest.

I agree, my go to calibers are the same.

If oregon goes like Washinton, my go to plan is we will join my son by moving to IDAHO!

Every person's situation is different, some have special needs so we adapt. What works for one person may not work for another. But the basics apply.

As for the scenarios we prepare for, they have a lot in common. Probabilities? Debatable.

But the scenario I mostly worry about is happening right now, getting worse, and I don't see any probability that it will stop, given human nature. For that scenario I am not at all certain of the need for firearms at all. I think the best preps are going to be those where I setup a self-sufficient farm, away from urban areas. But firearms can't hurt (I hope).

Another item I will add that goes along with the FA's and GOOD/BOB bags is a plate carrier/vest/belt/etc.....loaded and ready for quick grab all the time.....again they must be ready BEFORE....not during..... Prepare certain ones for specific problems....each have their function. It is easy to get loaded down and humping a plate carrier in -10 degree weather isn't for most of us....but a "duty belt" might not be as difficult.....each step in thought creates 3 steps physically....make sure your load is practical for the situation and quality tools for tough applications.

Upon "zooming out" and looking at the wider perspective; it should become apparent that prepping is an asymetrical battle; the thrifty disposition of properties using trusts, adding loved-ones onto deeds, private cemeteries, and creating "retirement homes" could provide large-enough "umbrellas" for our heirs (a "life boat" as the frogs are slowly boiled)..

The ample amount of lawful ambiguity...?

:D

I am having fun here and really what makes it fun is reading ya'll post. I have never been able to pin the future down as to what a real survival situation would be like so the points of view here are candy to the brain. I mean if you don't have a good idea then there is no way to train or prep but it seems most train for the worst moments. Buy the right equipment and keeping the right mindset but how will you keep your mind right in an ugly time you have never experienced?

Past ugly times were survived by more than just tools, luck and skill had a lot to do with living. The thread is a tool thread and making your choices. The best tool you have is on your shoulders, with luck and opportunities hopefully the right tool come your way if and when it ever gets ugly. Good luck.:)

Good question!

Trying to stock up on ones we can all shoot reasonably well, AND have replicants (or near abouts) of. We're about there, for us, for situations I can reasonably see possibilities of a "need".

Have stayed away from revolvers, but may just give them a look see going forwards, as our other "arms" are mostly set.

Challenging, as I'd like to continue with a semblance of commonality in chamberings. Currently feel we're at "too many" overall to reasonably maintain well (when including long arms). However our primary pistol chamberings are 9mm, 5.7 & .380.

So in my thinking, sticking to 9mm (for us), in a revolver, may be the way to go.

So just for fun, let me relate a true expearience for you to think about in your choice of equipment. I was just walking along the same walk I had walked for many years. Grass was about a foot high and tall enough it covered a hole that I stepped in and sprang my ankle then fell and cracked my wrist on my left hand. Just getting up without help when you have one hand and one good leg was all I could do.

As time went on I found my gun handling really suffered, I couldn't even jack the slide useing both hands. To get an auto loaded was a challenge and then you shoot one handed. Just imagine if it had been he right hand broke, can you run all your choices with your weak hand? Can you even tie your boots with one hand? Ever shoot that M1 carbine left handed with your right eyeo_O

Luckily I wasn't bugging out with 40 lbs on my back and in an unsafe zone but it sure made me rethink my tools and gear.:confused:

I am having fun here and really what makes it fun is reading ya'll post. I have never been able to pin the future down as to what a real survival situation would be like so the points of view here are candy to the brain. I mean if you don't have a good idea then there is no way to train or prep but it seems most train for the worst moments. Buy the right equipment and keeping the right mindset but how will you keep your mind right in an ugly time you have never experienced?

I have personally seen people be severely injured and some die in life and death situations. I have almost been killed a few times myself and I still have chronic physical problems from one time I was almost killed.

I've lived thru a hurricane and other wind storms where people were killed, floods, volcanoes and seen the results of wildfires.and lived In short, I've witnessed enough to have an idea of what is at stake and what it might take to survive.

Past ugly times were survived by more than just tools, luck and skill had a lot to do with living. The thread is a tool thread and making your choices. The best tool you have is on your shoulders, with luck and opportunities hopefully the right tool come your way if and when it ever gets ugly. Good luck.:)

This thread is about strategies for best using tools and what tools to use. Strategic thinking. I was interested in what other people's strategies (thoughts) were.

Of course, using your brain is a great strategy - as is planning ahead. However, when fecal matter happens, plans have a way of falling apart and a person needs to adapt. Having tools is about knowing how/when to use them is one of our best adaptations - so don't totally dismiss their value.

That said, yes, many preppers rely too much on guns as their main tools when in actuality they may wind up using them very little.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads