JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not really a "pet peeve"....more of a Ummmm....No.

This has happened often....
I put on my display of original , as in antique muzzle loaders , and give a talk about them , the history around their time periods and the like....

Then afterwards someone will come to me and say I : "I got one just like that one."
As a general rule they usually are pointing to either this one :
My original St. Louis made "Plain Rifle" , made by F.E. Seiferth circa 1850

Or. this one...

My original J.Henry Trade Rifle circa 1800 -1820's.

When I express my desire to see their rifle....
They return showing me either their Thompson Center "Hawken" rifle or CVA or Traditions "Kentucky Rifle".
Now....all three of the above can make for a fine rifle..however none are close to either of the originals in my example.

With all of the above in mind...
Please don't misunderstand me or my intent here.
I am not saying that one must have or even like any firearm of mine....

I am saying , that while many so-called replicas or reproductions make for a fun and fine firearm....
Many , if not most of them , fall a bit short in the details to make them an actual copy of the firearm they are trying to replicate .
Which in and of itself is not a bad thing...it is just something to consider.
And

Have numerous guns that are not go to war or hunting guns. They do excellent with inexpensive but very durable red dots and have for many years of use. Even semi auto 12 gauge which beats the hell out of red dots. No problem at all. Have a 14 year old leapers scope that gets beat up and used a lot. Never lost zero in that time. 3-9x with mil dot. The critical thing is get durability/quality. That is not a function of price a lot of times. And that does not mean cheap = good, it may be junk or may be good, you have to do your homework. Quality is quality, no matter how much you pay for it. The trick is to get good quality for the intended use ideally inexpensively, which leaves more $ for more guns and ammo. Hunting or go to war the acceptable level of quality may cause many/most of the cheaper ones to be excluded.

Fe $325 samyang/irix lens 15mm camera lens is just as good as a $2100 Zeiss 15mm lens (I've had both and independent testing proves it also). But you have to do your homework and not buy junk. There is junk available at pretty much all price points.

Another example is same red dots that are sold as vortex brand for $150 you can find under other brand names for $60. They are made in the same factory. In a lot of cases people are paying based on their ignorance or on some myth their father passed on about how much they should pay for a scope. Get over the hurdle of ignorance then you can make a good choice of quality for your intended purpose.
True my go to scope till I find a permanent one is a few old Nikons they were like $80 and have not let me down. There is one rifle that shot so well with one I left it on why spend more $$$ just to give you heartache !

Add that goofy extended arm hand grasp around the forestock of an AR to your list of range theatrics.
Yeah, the C-clamp is uncomfortable to the max for me, just seems like more, "Look at how tactical I am" signaling. But what do I know, having been using M16s and M4s in the military, law enforcement and as a private citizen for a only paltry 43 years?

The 360-scan, the immediate compressed ready after the last shot from guys shooting shotgun pattern groups at five yards in WGS or Bullseye indoor ranges crack me up. Must've caught the last episode of "Trigger Time TV" ...

Add that goofy extended arm hand grasp around the forestock of an AR to your list of range theatrics.

4F5C8847-1968-411A-9F88-EDBA7C3EC652.jpeg

And he wears that stupid hat. I hate his hat for no real reason. I just don't like it.
That's funny as hell! I just got my I Am the Militia shirt in the mail today! :s0140:

Last Edited:
Yeah, the C-clamp is uncomfortable to the max for me, just seems like more, "Look at how tactical I am" signaling. But what do I know, having been using M16s and M4s in the military, law enforcement and as a private citizen for a only paltry 43 years?

The 360-scan, the immediate compressed ready after the last shot from guys shooting shotgun pattern groups at five yards in WGS or Bullseye indoor ranges crack me up. Must've caught the last episode of "Trigger Time TV" ...
You mean like this?
39273540_1988959291167649_975649061631688704_n.jpg.optimal.jpg

I just want a picture now.
I shall see if I have one... I don't want you all to be too intimidated or awestruck afterward, though.
You mean like this?
Naw, I'd never disrespect Jerry. He makes everything look easy. I think we were talking about the more exaggerated version like in 1775usmc's post #166 when used on a range or gun club for no viable reason, just to try and look cool. It was originally introduced to aid shooting on the move, became dogma in some military and commercial training, but as time passes, it becomes apparent there are other ways, including some old ways, to hold one's rifle...

I shall see if I have one... I don't want you all to be too intimidated or awestruck afterward, though.

Naw, I'd never disrespect Jerry. He makes everything look easy. I think we were talking about the more exaggerated version like in 1775usmc's post #166 when used on a range or gun club for no viable reason, just to try and look cool. It was originally introduced to aid shooting on the move, became dogma in some military and commercial training, but as time passes, it becomes apparent there are other ways, including some old ways, to hold one's rifle...
It's the Chris Costa special. Good ol Magpul DVDs.

the "Something's better than nothing" guy.

Or

the "I don't need to carry medical cause I'm not rendering aid" guy. Even though if your putting holes in someone there is likely a high probability that you have received holes in you as well. Not to mention your much more likely to use medical throughout your day than you are to use a firearm.

Being taught by a person that thinks his way is best even though I have been shooting for more than 55 years.

A friend of a friend walked up to me as I was heading for the firing line and grabbed my gun and hand, moved my trigger finger higher above/outside the trigger guard and pushed my index finger under it. Remember gun is loaded and he seemed to think that two fingers above the trigger guard was better than one.

I pulled away and went back to one finger above/outside of the guard. I never said a word to him, but he was talking the whole time about his technique. I never did understand what he was getting at.

My fingers no longer move that way after several industrial accidents and wrestling my brothers arm out of our dogs mouth that had just been hit by a car. Chewed my trigger and index fingers up good. I guess that no one noticed and were focused on my brother to notice my fingers flopping around.

A friend of a friend walked up to me as I was heading for the firing line and grabbed my gun and hand, moved my trigger finger higher above/outside the trigger guard and pushed my index finger under it. Remember gun is loaded...
Whoa... :eek:

Being taught by a person that thinks his way is best even though I have been shooting for more than 55 years.

A friend of a friend walked up to me as I was heading for the firing line and grabbed my gun and hand, moved my trigger finger higher above/outside the trigger guard and pushed my index finger under it. Remember gun is loaded and he seemed to think that two fingers above the trigger guard was better than one.

I pulled away and went back to one finger above/outside of the guard. I never said a word to him, but he was talking the whole time about his technique. I never did understand what he was getting at.

My fingers no longer move that way after several industrial accidents and wrestling my brothers arm out of our dogs mouth that had just been hit by a car. Chewed my trigger and index fingers up good. I guess that no one noticed and were focused on my brother to notice my fingers flopping around.
And that's when someone gets taught a lesson.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top