JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, I'm to the point where this is getting to be like golf. The right club for the right shot. One of my 7mags is pictured below. That particular unit is a Browning BBR 1:9.25 fitted with the "Straightjacket Barrel system" from Teludyne Technologies in Greenville South Carolina. http://www.teludynetech.com/ When I got that done it was $500 round trip to have them fit that on to my rifle and open up the stock. Its when they offered a carbon steel version. Now they only have aluminum and titanium and its a darn sight more but it wont stop me from doing it again once I save up the cheese to do so. At any rate, when I first started reloading I didnt understand load testing so I simply took some Nosler 120's, Remington brass, IMR4350 and some CCI LRMP's and stuffed 100 of em. Full case prep. Deburred the flash holes, cleaned the primer pockets, sized, chamfered, the works. Long story short, one hole groups. Best groups I ever shot in my lifetime as a matter of fact. Has a Bushnell 4-12x40 AO rangefinder scope on it. Once I learned about load testing I tried it again and I'll be, same thing as I rolled through that 63.5 mark. Then I heard Hodgdon was a little less temperature sensitive so I though that might be a bit better all around. I was told that I had to work up new loads because it was probably a little different than the IMR but guess what? Same thing, 63.5. Not all exactly one hole like the very first three shot group but all less than 3/4" MOA. Note, the "Golf" thing. I've tried other bullets 168 AMAX, 162 Bergers and others. Nothing shoots out of that rifle like that 120 Nosler so thats what I'm sticking with for that rifle.

BBR.jpg

I have 3, 7mm mags. The 26" barrels will shoot anything up to 170gr but the 24" BLR likes lighter.
62gr IMR 4350 150gr Nos part 3.29 col, this made a good grouping:D
I use a lot of noslers and get my load data from their site.
https://load-data.nosler.com/
Kind of depends on weather you want holes in paper or an elk:p

Just curious what y'all are running? I got 4350 and R19 and 25. Any experiences would be great

Let me know if you need some fully prepped 1x fired brass. It's primed with CCI250 and ready for powder and bullets. I'll let it go at a reasonable price. As for powder, I tried IMR4350, RL22 and RL25. I always got the best results for accuracy and speed with RL25.

I have had good results with the RL series of powders. RL22,23, and 26 have all had loads that work well with HDY ELDx 162 or Accubonds 160. I have settled with RL26. 69 grains 3050fps with the eld's -3/4" groups. 24" barrel.

I have had good results with the RL series of powders. RL22,23, and 26 have all had loads that work well with HDY ELDx 162 or Accubonds 160. I have settled with RL26. 69 grains 3050fps with the eld's -3/4" groups. 24" barrel.
That RL26 sure seems to be the ticket these days. I know in the 270w, it launches a 150gr bullet at around 3000 fps. Thats treading on the heels of the 7mm rem mag.

Last Edited:
I have a Remington 700 Long Range in 7mm Mag with a 26" barrel that I got specifically to try to shoot the heaviest bullet possible. It is working out pretty good but the 1:9.25 twist barrel is probably not ideal. Let's just say it won't be the end of the world when I have to put a new 1:8 barrel on it.

My goal was to shoot 175 gr Hornady ELD-X. I started with RL 22 and didn't really get great groups at the speeds I was hoping for. I also found that Hornady's reloading manual had very low min/max powder charges. I can't remember exactly what the book max was but I think it was around 62-63 grains. I stopped at 66 gr with RL 22 and was getting about 2960 fps but 1.5" groups. I moved on to RL 26. My groups are .75-1" consistently and I am pushing the 175 at about 3010 fps with 66.5 gr of RL 26.

I have recently started playing with the 180 gr ELD-M and found that it actually shoots a little better than the 175 out of my gun which makes no sense. I am pushing the 180 at 2960 fps with 65.5 gr of RL 26.

Again, as mentioned above, these are safe in my gun and probably way over book max so work up slowly as your results may be different.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top