JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Does anyone have any recommendations of good local bars in and around Portland to get a good craft at?

Okay, I'll let you in on one of the older, best kept secrets for a butt load of beers on tap in the PDX area. Do you like dive bars? Yeah, this covers that. https://katieobriens.wixsite.com/katieobriens This place has the same ceiling it had in 1984 when I first moved to PDX. Might be the same carpet too. Still smells the same as best I can remember. It's got a covered back patio if you want to smoke. There's a pot shop right next door, sometimes you can smell the weed through the common wall when you're playing the poker machines. Food is hit and miss, mostly hit I'd say, service the same. Service will be best if you go in Sat-Sun mornings, or Mon-Tues between 1:30pm-6:00pm. If Hillary is there serving tell her Mike and Jane sent you, that will give you extra care. she's a real hoot.

Parking may be an issue. Best bet may be to park just to the East off Sandy on 29th by Wendy's and walk the block to Katie's.

The tale of my frozen balls

I was waiting to pick my kid up from PDX and had some time to kill. So I stopped by the Goodwill bins over at 122nd. Nice creepy dependable crowd, as usual. Then just add me, I can blend with the best of them. So I do a quick walk around and what do I see? A brand new in box Wintersmiths ice ball maker. $80 on their website, cost me three. There's no way that I would spend 80 bucks on two pieces of silicon and a styrofoam bucket.
Anyway, I get it home and do the standard wash prep. I
fill it up and stick it in the freezer. I took out the fresh batch today and not bad at all. I was curious so I pulled them a bit early so they're not quite perfect. They say to freeze it for 30 hours for a perfect pair of ice balls. I've always enjoyed scotch in hotel bars that served it over the big ice balls.

Link is to the video on wintersmiths.com. It's pretty short but rather interesting. Definitely ups the scotch game if you're into being hi-fallutin and pinky extendin' when you drink your whisky.
Ice Baller Double Instructions

(Disclaimer... not at all related to Schwetty's chocolate balls. )

IMG_20190422_220653.jpg IMG_20190422_220837.jpg IMG_20190422_220550.jpg

Just poured my last glass of this year's sima batch. It goes down all too well on these hot spring days.

My recipe:
Gallon of simply brand lemonade
Quarter cup of honey
Cup of raisins
1/4 pack of wine makers yeast.

Mix together and ferment in an airlocked growler until the raisins have risen to the top. Refrigerate sealed and enjoy! Mix with vodka for a boozier libation.

F368A8F1-D204-4D89-B03A-7D3278C2117F.jpeg Reverend Nat's hard cider. Made in Portland.
Sour cherry flavored...
Not a cider fan, but I am a sucker for anything cherry. Lifesavers, jello, even cough syrup
This is pretty darn tasty! Sour as can be, but just enough sweet to make it worthwhile. And tremendously thirst-quenching.

View attachment 578666 Reverend Nat's hard cider. Made in Portland.
Sour cherry flavored...
Not a cider fan, but I am a sucker for anything cherry. Lifesavers, jello, even cough syrup
This is pretty darn tasty! Sour as can be, but just enough sweet to make it worthwhile. And tremendously thirst-quenching.
Reverend Nat makes good stuff, another good cherry cider you should be able to get up there is ^5 Kaiju Blossom

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top