JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you want your sugar syrup to last a while, add a few drops of non salted butter to it when you boil it! Should last a few days in the fridge before turning on ya! Longer term storage, use honey! Both will change the flavors nicely, so you can experiment a little!

If you want your sugar syrup to last a while, add a few drops of non salted butter to it when you boil it! Should last a few days in the fridge before turning on ya! Longer term storage, use honey! Both will change the flavors nicely, so you can experiment a little!
I've used brown butter for this in the past.
another way to change the profile is to use smoked ice.
Put a block of ice directly on the smoker rack after the smokers been warmed up with your wood of choice. Put a large pot or square pan under it to catch it. Refreeze the water either in trays or as a block. The water catches the smoke, flavors the ice.

I've used brown butter for this in the past.
another way to change the profile is to use smoked ice.
Put a block of ice directly on the smoker rack after the smokers been warmed up with your wood of choice. Put a large pot or square pan under it to catch it. Refreeze the water either in trays or as a block. The water catches the smoke, flavors the ice.
Ok, that sounds tasty in a Bloody Mary, gonna try that in the morning! :D

Stay Hydrated.jpg

For a autumn themed event, I made old fashioneds with maple syrup, instead of the simple syrup. Not as good as the tried and true, but was fun to mix it up once in a while.

Having some hazy IPAs tonight.

20210724_191624.jpg

-Robert

So, is that turbinado *and* simple syrup in your OF (seems it would make the OF really sweet)? Or is that a *just* syrup made from turbinado?

As mentioned upthread, I used to use turbinado (the solid crystals), but it didn't dissolve fast enough.
So, after much experimentation, *hic* I ultimately landed upon a simple syrup, since I can also use that in my minty juleps. :)

If in fact you mean turbinado syrup, do you make your own, or have you found a retail source? My favorite liquor store only carries the simple syrup.

Also, I'd like to see your recipe, if I may, since Campari is my mostest favoritest apéritif.
Do you substitute in the Campari for the Angostura bitters? I'd be interested is seeing how Campari lends itself to an OF.
Enquiring minds wanna know...
Simple Syrup made with turbinado sugar, just equal amounts of turbinado sugar and water by weight.

I don't really measure but it's about 2 oz whiskey, 1/4ish oz Turbinado Syrup, 1/4ish oz Campari on a big ice cube. You can sub Campari 1:1 for Angostura in a lot of recipes either way.

Simple Syrup made with turbinado sugar, just equal amounts of turbinado sugar and water by weight.

I don't really measure but it's about 2 oz whiskey, 1/4ish oz Turbinado Syrup, 1/4ish oz Campari on a big ice cube. You can sub Campari 1:1 for Angostura in a lot of recipes either way.
Thank you for this, Will. Much obliged. Had some Cab with dinner tonight, but will likely try this tomorrow evening.
The big lump of inertia I'ma gonna hafta get over is the brewing of the syrup.
Never did like that step, which is why I went with the retail bottle of simple syrup at the liquor store. Truth be told, I'm a lazy phuq'r...

Stay tuned to this station for further updates in this rapidly developing story...

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads