JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This afternoon, I had some Sumatra Lintong gr. 1 coffee that I roasted yesterday to a full city roast. So many green beans, so little time.

This might be for you...

So, how do you know you're a true-blue coffee snob?

1. You not only have a regular coffee bar, but a regular barista. He or she knows your usual order, which is whatever happens to be the single-origin special of the day. You have a secret crush on this person and, unbeknownst to them, you both have the same tattoo. It's an espresso tamper.

2. You've attended cuppings. Not just lame-bubblegum beginner "Intro to Cupping 101" deals. But hardcore, extremely rare, get-your-nose-way-down-into-that-microlot-type bubblegum. Varietal cuppings. Cuppings of coffees that retail for $20 per cup and sell at auction for $100 a pound. You've used descriptors like "leguminous," "nippy" and "tastes like Kenya."

3. You own your own cupping spoon. It's engraved. You once caught someone eating cereal with it and lost your motherbubbleguming bubblegum.

4. You cringe at the thought of putting milk in brewed coffee. Even more so at the thought of adding sugar. Soy milk is the most abhorrent of any modifier. You find it morally reprehensible. You believe this is what it must mean to be lactose intolerant.

5. You will allow yourself the odd iced coffee, but only as a lark. And only brewed the Japanese way. And only if it comes in a cute, stubby brown bottle.

6. You're so over latte art.

7. It goes without saying, but you won't set foot in a Starbucks. Until your fourth day in the suburbs at your in-laws' place. Then that venti with your misspelt name on it starts to be pretty much all you can think of. You also, ironically, Instagram a photo of the cup.

8. Ever since that time at your in-laws', you have no qualms traveling with your own coffee supplies. At breakfast, you go right ahead and break out your hand grinder, Aeropress and craft-roasted beans. You know your father-in-law thinks you're a dick, but it's totally worth it.

9. You're kinda over Geisha, too. (Now that Starbucks serves it for $7 a cup.)

10. You talk about Geisha to people without any explanation of what it is, assuming everyone knows it's a rare and coveted variety of coffee that only princes and bean junkies can afford to drink on a daily basis.

11. Brewing your morning cup requires at least seven different apparatuses, none of which is a coffeemaker. (Cheat sheet: burr grinder, scale, timer, kettle, thermometer, Chemex or other pour-over, reusable gold coffee filter.)

12. You read coffee blogs. Or better yet, write one.

13. You are suspicious of unsubstantiated claims of coffee snobbery. Like, when your neighbor says he's "really into coffee," you smile politely and say "that's nice." But really you're thinking, "I bet he doesn't even drink cortados."

I'm in full agreement with a couple/three of those. :oops:

1. "I" am the barista. No one else qualifies. Noobs!
2. Cupping is what I do when all the mugs are in the dishwasher.
3. I use a large Lee powder dipper.
4. Was milk, now allergic, so it is Mocha Mix (Trailer trash!!!)
5. Iced? My coffee is cold only until I zap it to drinkable temp.
6. I am. DW is not.
7. Starbucks? Nah, I send cash straight to Chairman Xi and cut out the middle man.
8. Since all of the prior generation are dead, at times I do bust out the Aeropress, using it upside down. I live in a No Chemex Zone.
9. There's Geisha without girls?
10. Today I learned something about overpriced horrid slop.
11. You forgot the microwave. I use that for instant coffee so that I have enough energy to make regular brew.
12. Too many lefties in the coffee world - bless their desiccated little hearts.
13. No coffee snob ever worked at Boeing.
and...
14. Every commercial latte costs five rounds of ammo at current retail.

11. You forgot the microwave. I use that for instant coffee so that I have enough energy to make regular brew.

Geezus man, instant? Maybe if SHTF, it's still got cafeenz. I use to do instant when I camped. When Wifey and I got together back in 1987. We went camping for the first time together. There was no more instant while camping. Then I had a friend that turned me onto fresh ground, whole bean. No more store bought, pre- ground, caned, Folgers, S&W, anything. I set the pot to go after dinner. Yeah, so the water isn't cold when I hit the button in the morning.

Used to work in an office. At break time, a guy offered me coffee over in his cubicle. Sure, I said. As we walked, he said, "It is re-heated." No problem. We walked further and he said, "Forgot to tell you it's instant." Well, we've come this far... Just as we reached the cubicle, he said "Forgot to tell you it's decaffeinated." That did it. Went back to my cubicle.

I have standards, ya' know.

I had one of those coca-cola coffee drinks today, not bad.
Rarely buy a cup of coffee anymore. Only drink what I make. Fresh ground. French press. I do keep some Vinacafé packets in my bag in case I'm in need while I'm out. Occasionally I drink the canned stuff.

Started out early this morning with a margarita (at The Wooden Nickel) this morning with breakfast, followed with a Coors Lite this afternoon. Now it is just water for the rest of the evening....

Got the perfect container for my fresh ground. No water? Just a pinch between cheek and gum...

Screen Shot 2021-03-06 at 7.55.52 PM.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top