JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1. Flamethrower

2. Gatling Gun

3.Chauchat .30-06

4. Lorcin 9mm

5. for general plinking and economy, something chambered in .450 Rigby

I fear to see items 6-10 on your list! ;) I'm a bit more of a pragmatist, and apparently unoriginal as well, since my list mimics many that have already been posted in form, albeit with actual picks that are a little... eh, old fashioned. I'd go with:

1) Pistol: 1911 of some stripe.
2) Shotgun: Winchester Model 1912--I feel like an outcast amongst all the Remington love in this thread! Might as well get a short barrel for it, as well.
3) Rifle: Mannlicher-Schönauer M.1903. Something suitable for hunting the local game.
4) Rifle: M1 Garand. Something suitable for shooting everything else.
5) Thompson SMG. Any model; shares ammo with the pistol and is a bit more... suggestive than a Model of 1917 revolver!

1. Bolt Action .22 Say what you want about your 10/22's and marlin Model 60's, but my cz 452 doesn't care what .22LR ammo I feed it.

2. .22 Pistol. I prefer revolvers for the same reason as above, although the Ruger semi-auto's are a bunch of fun as well.

3. 12 ga. shotgun. Rem 870, 1100, Mossberg 500, Benelli Nova, Super-90, etc., etc. It doesn't matter. A shotgun can be used to hunt with, recreate with, and defend one's home.

4. Centerfire handgun. My personal preference are for S&W revolvers and 1911's. But whatever suits someone's tastes. Nothing wrong with Glocks or the other polymer pistols either. But I guarantee if I only had one centerfire pistol, it wouldn't say Hi-Point, Rossi, or Taurus on it. You get what you pay for and after personal experiences with cheap handguns, NEVER AGAIN. Cheapest for me now are Rugers. They are inexpensive, but built like tanks.

5. Centerfire rifle. I personally think at least a .30 caliber. Not everyone needs a battle rifle. Not everyone needs a varmint gun. But everyone should have a bolt action .30-06 (or something similar) that can be used for every kind of game on the continent.

If I ever had to whittle my collection down, this is what would remain (at least, and I would be inconsolably depressed) in my safe.

Lots of good points here, I have always believed that you need 4 good guns.
1. Shot gun, your choice but 870 and Mossberg are great.
2. Hand gun which is personal but I prefer 9mm because it is Nato or 45 acp. I may be wrong but there are two of the most popular calibers (not saying they are the best but probably the most common hand gun). I think that a 357 is also a good option because you can shoot a 38 loan as well but I still prefer a semi auto chambered in the above calibers.
3. Good 22lr rifle for small game. Some like the 10/22 (have one) but I also like the tube guns as well because there is no magazine to loose.
4. Good long distance big calaber rifle. I do prefer a 30-06 because there is not a game animal in North America that this round can not handle.
Everyone has there list but there are my preferences for pure survival.

Top 5 guns that I think everybody SHOULD own?

1. M240B General purpose machine gun
2. Select fire, Suppressed 10/22
3. Tromix Full Auto Saiga 12
4. Barret .50 cal (model of choice depending on the owners needs)
5. Glock 18 select fire with threaded barrel and Suppressor.

oh wait a minute is this based on reality... then:

1. REM 870 in 12 G
2. Scoped .308 (bolt or semi preferred in a scout configuration)
3. Good quality handgun (were are Americans and have to many choices of caliber and mag size)
4. a .22 LR rifle (see #3)
5. semi auto carbine (insert AK vs. AR debate)

SF-

I do like the way Mr. SilverFox thinks..

One of each..

Small caliber
Medium caliber
large caliber
shotgun
carbine

Specifics?

10/22 or a lever action 30-30
Sig P226 (I love mine!)
1911 in any flavor you like
Mossy 590 or Remmy 870 (or 1187)
AR (Colt, BCM, LMT, Noveske, Daniel Defense. Maybe a Sun Devil Lower with one of those for an upper...)

personally i think (regardless of brands) everyone should own a .22 rifle, a 12 ga shotgun, a good self defense handgun, a semi auto rifle in a high caliber, and a black powder rifle. or in other words a well rounded arsenal.

1. Glock 27 (.40 cal.)..... or 23...... I say 27 because it is subcompact and easy to hide :)
2. SKS (mine IS a sporter, it is the shortest barrel and as we all know it shoots the 7.62X39 and it takes the AK-47 mags)
3. AK-47 (7.62X39)
4. 1911 (.45) (pistol..... mine WAS a springfield armory GI)
5. Barrett m486 (6.8 SPC)

And if I could add a 6th one I would have to say the AK-74 but I can't hahahahahahahahaha

1. Personal Defense side-arm: 1911, XD45, in my case, HK P30L
2. High capacity semi-auto with red-dot: AK47/74, MP5, in my case, 16" AR-15
3. High accuracy large caliber gun with hunting optic: M1a, Remington 700, AR-10, in my case 20" LR308
4. Turkey gun: As others have said, Remington 870 or Mossberg 590. In my case, a Mossberg 935 22" is on the way.
5. Rimfire rifle: 10/22, whatever. I actually enjoy the Savage .17HMR with the bull barrel.

I did two semi handguns before I did the shotgun, but I like to think we all have our different ways of achieving the same goal.

I do enjoy that among the group here, there's a pretty consistent pattern. :)

1. A Ruger 10/22 rifle.
2. A Winchester lever-action rifle -- take your pick as to the model.
3. A Remington shotgun -- take your pick as to the model.
4. A Walther P.38 pistol.
5. A personal defense handgun of your choice, though for me an easy choice: a Walther PPK.

All are classics.

1. Browning Hi-power pistol, NATO 9mm, dirt simple, can't break it
2. Ithaca 37 shotgun in 12gauge, dirt simple, can't break it
3. AK rifle variant, dirt simple, can't break it
4. Hvy bbl Rem 700 in NATO .308, synth. stock, dirt simple, can't break it
5. .22 bolt rifle (Rem. 514BR in my case), dirt simple, can't break it

I am assuming this is in a survival/apoch/last guns to have scenario:

1) any reliable ShotGun
2) any reliable AK
3) any combat specific semi-auto pistol
4) a well cycled (broken-in) AR-15, with spare parts kit.
5) any common chambered revolver

Thats said:

1) Rem 870 in colapsable stock configuration (or CHarles daily in same config with parts kit, for budget), and riot barrel
2) A well built WASR10, with thread muzzle, and and brake kit, with bayonet and Warsaw Stock
3) Croation HS2000 ( or XD45c), Just plane-janeHS2000.
4) Stag Lower/LMT Upper, 16', threaded for M9 Bayo, 1000 rnds threw it. m4 config.
5) S&W .357, 4' barrel, no snub, and Lasergrip

1. 1911 in .45
2. AKm
3.Remington 870 or other quality pump in 12 gauge
4.Glock 17 w/33rd mags
5. .308 rifle (Model 88 win. are solid lever, Model 70 or PBR if its a bolt and a FN/FAL or HK91 for semi auto)( or M1-A, don't know how i forgot that!)

lots of 1911 guys in here... you all must be very wealthy

1. AR15 carbine
2. Glock 17
3. AR15 Rifle
4. Glock 19/26 (concealed carry or wife gun)
5. a .22lr for the kids

1911 type
shotgun, 12 or 10 bore, auto or pump
lightweight autoloading rifle, .22, .223, perhaps even .243
heavier autoloading rifle in something common, about .30 cal,,,, .30-06, 308, 7.62 NATO
long range high powered rifle, bolt action.. 7mm Rem Mag, .300 WSM

my own choices in these types:

Kimber .45 ACP and S&W .40 S&W
Ruger 10/22 long rifle (not carbine).. am wanting a Mini 14 Ranch
Savage 12 bore pump, and a Browning ten bore pump
Browning BAR in .30-06, have FN AR heavy in .308 on the way
(if I ever come across the right M1 Garand in .308 or .30-06, I'd buy it as well)
Sako 7mm Rem Mag bolt, and Tikka T-3 in .300 WSM

Next project is laying in the hay to feed these beasts..... and the longer I wait the harder it is to find the ammo for these. Still looking for that deal on the Ruger Mini 14... or something else close to it, though I'm not sure what that might be. I am tending to stay away from the "black and ugly" arms, mainly because of the erroneous political hype surrounding them, but also because I just prefer the feel and fit of the more "traditional" arms, the new FN AR on the way being the exception. If I find the Garand and really like it, and don't find the FN AR to be as comfortable and handy as I expect it to be, I"ll likely sell the FN and keep the M1......

not to be judge mental but the balistics on the 300 wsm or just not quite as good as the 270 wsm but you have a pretty good list just a question what is every body fasination with the ar's and ak's!!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top