JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The only gun I bought for a purpose was a Ruger GP100 as a home defense gun. Others I buy just to experience and enjoy at the range. Last gun I bought was a Glock 27. I hadn't had a subcompact pistol before.

Well,

I figure if I am gonna excercise, I might as well exercise my right as a citizen of the USA to keep and bear arms.

As well, as I can afford to buy them(from time to time), and therefore help the economy by exercising my freedom of choice in a CAPITALIST manner.:s0155:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE...WITH THE
INTENTION OF ARRIVING SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL
PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE,
THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY
PROCLAIMING----WOW----WHAT A RIDE!!!"

I have a Gunnut buddy that I've known for 39 years. He was getting ready to buy a Sako .243. I made the mistake of asking him a dumb question, and got an answer that describes both of us actually:

Question: "Why in the world would you buy another Sako .243? Don't you have like five or six of them?"

Answer: "It's a disease. I have to get well".

i love most weapons, and if they are cheap enough, no matter what i'll buy it. i'll use it for trades or money later. guns are like gold, they never loose value.

ok who Honestly uses their carbines for home Defense? iv thought about it, but i don't think it would be a good go to bun for HD perhaps as a last option, I just fear it going through wall after wall after wall after wall..... and so on

My carbines are 9mm loaded with JHP. Don't think the rounds are going through many walls. Maybe I should take some sheetrock out to the shooting pit and test this theory...

Also, just to be clear, I wasn't only thinking of 'bump in the night' situations. Could also be defending my home in an SHTF scenario. A pair of XD 45's are what we keep ready in case of a home invasion.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread:s0155:

Last Edited:
My laundry list of things I'd like to buy is large, and does not just include guns...that said. I am a pretty utilitarian person. Everything is a tool, and has to perform a function. With that in mind.

I bought the 10/22's (two of them) one for me to have something cheap to shoot that I can take to some property I have access to and have fun....the other is so others can have fun with me.

I bought my Savage 12 VLP in .223 because I wanted an inexpensive round in a really nice rifle...this is my 'go to' shooter...love this gun.

Sig P226, primarily sits at home with home defence in mind. Nice, solid reliable piece of kit that I know I can depend on.

XD 9 5", my Action Range gun, it's going to see a 'lot' of ammo before I am done with it

AR15 Colt LE 6920. Out with the lads doing some shooting in a quarry or elsewhere. Great for larger calibre plinking. Also .223 so I've already got the reloading stuff. It's not a target gun by any stretch of the imagination, but boy is it fun to shoot.

New purchase today, Ruger MK III GC Competition Target. The winter is here and time to use the indoor range a little more. I like the idea of having a dedicated 22LR pistol for target use, something my 22 LR P226 conversion is not so good at

Which leaves me with the 22LR P226 conversion. A great trainer on the action range. Awesome to give to new shooters before letting them loose with the 9mm slide and it eats just about any ammo that you put in it.

I'm angling for a Mk II Savage BSEV in 22LR.....for not other reason than I think they look very cool...so there is certainly some 'emotional' aspects to gun purchases too

My carbines are 9mm loaded with JHP. Don't think the rounds are going through many walls. Maybe I should take some sheetrock out to the shooting pit and test this theory...

The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing

Cool guy, answered alot of my questions with his overviews and educational segments.

The Box O' Truth - The Box O' Truth
The original "Box" tests, I especially like the Sands O' truth.
As well as the Buick O' Truth.

Needless to say if you know your home's internal structure well enough, you don't even need to see the perpetrator to protect yourself, your family, and property.
(and if i ever own a home there's gonna be some interior reconstruction done...)

I have a Gunnut buddy that I've known for 39 years. He was getting ready to buy a Sako .243. I made the mistake of asking him a dumb question, and got an answer that describes both of us actually:

Question: "Why in the world would you buy another Sako .243? Don't you have like five or six of them?"

Answer: "It's a disease. I have to get well".

No truer statement. I am trying as I type to get my 3rd FAL. Will it never end, hopefully not!

So I was curious if any of you buy a firearm for a certain reason or just because u want a new one... when im looking for a new handgun I look for things such as, will it be easy to conceal , will it fit my needs, is it practical, and when it serve the purpose for which im buying it.. Home defense/conceal carry, there are a few more reasons but cant think of em off the top of my head.

What are yours! :confused:

I think your original question is being read 2 different ways.
1) Why do you buy firearms in general?
2) Why do you buy a specific firearm?
And you are getting two different answers.

1) I buy guns because I can, I feel they are a decent investment and it is a relatively cheap hobby.

2) Why I buy a specific firearm depends on what I am currently looking for. I don't think anyone buys a Kahr PM40 because they feel like buying a new gun and then say "WOW! This thing is really small and light, it would make a great CC gun". The reason I bought mine was to celebrate my new CHL. But, I did my research to find out it was a small, light, reliable piece.

I've bought several gun just because they make great suppressor hosts, also I bought the suppressors "Just because I CAN".

I've bought some guns just because I wanted to try a different format DA/SA to see if I like that better than the DAO that most of my pistols are.

I've bought some guns that I just feel are "staples" of any gun collection (10/22, AR 15, Mossberg 500, 1911).

I've bought some that were just too good priced to pass up, even if they have the same purpose, or bridge a gap in needs. Example, I picked up a Springfield XD40SC because it was a good deal even though it kinda does the same thing as my full size XD40 and my PM40. If I am wearing a coat or heavier clothing I used to carry the XD, but now carry the XDSC. When wearing shorts and T-shirt, I used to ONLY carry the PM40, now I can also carry the XDSC.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top