JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was curious if any of you buy a firearm for a certain reason or just because u want a new one... when im looking for a new handgun I look for things such as, will it be easy to conceal , will it fit my needs, is it practical, and when it serve the purpose for which im buying it.. Home defense/conceal carry, there are a few more reasons but cant think of em off the top of my head.

What are yours! :confused:

GOOD topic for a thread, glockguy. For me, being the relative noob I am (only owned handguns for about 5-ish years), when I finally got serious about using my ccl, my decision came down to the combo of reliability, ease of concealed carry, and price. The little kahr cw9 I chose fits me well for that, and it's cheap to practice with. Really easy to carry all the time, break down and clean, small & light. Easy for me to handle with realistic confidence with my 'condition'. Certainly NOT the ultimate firearm for home OR self defense, but I reckon every choice involves some trade off...

Then I wanted a .22lr pistol for super-inexpensive practice and plinking; got the shortest neos-- haaaaated the trigger feel, and as I lust after a real 1911 sometime down the line, quickly traded the neos for a GSG 1911(ish) .22lr pistol. Heck if I'd done my research a little better before buying the neos, I'd-a skipped it in the first place. I know they work great for a lot of people, but just not my cup o' joe.

Next on the 'to buy' list is a pump action shotgun for HD and fun/getting into skeet. Best of all, it's what my wife wants for Christmas! :woot:

Oh man I could go on for another million words, but I'll stop & eagerly await others' responses..

I bought a Tokarev recently just because the ammo is so cheap. 7.62x 25, $125 for 1260 rounds. Turns out that it is a riot to shoot, and it is a hot round.

There are multiple reasons I buy different guns...feel, reliability, comfort of carry, Price or its just what I want at the time. my most recent being another .22 pistol, a ruger MKI to teach my kids on. just whatever is the flavor of the day...

For me it's several reasons.

Owning a piece of history (my M91/30s)

A reliable "combat" piece.. should times ever get tough. (my Ruger P85mkII, and P89)

A gun that "feels" like it's a part of you. (my H&A 1901 38S&W)..or i owned one in a past life.

..To give your girlfriend a little confidence. (a Raven 25 Auto)

...and everyone needs to own a shotgun. (Westernfield Model 30)

sure, they're "inexpensive" weapons. Would I want a Glock, or a Khar? maybe.
will a $600-$1000 gun outperform a $300 one? Probably.

Do I feel safe in my home with my "budget" arsenal? Yep.

From age 18 to 27, I only had one gun at a time. As I look back I think of how weird that seems! Who only has ONE gun? :confused: Purchases at this point are still made with a specific purpose in mind for each firearm. Pistols for CC and HD. Carbines for HD and plinking. Now that I have a primary and backup in the pistol and carbine categories, I'll be looking at mid and long rifles for hunting and SHTF scenarios, and a shotgun or two. Probably still a year or two away from buying guns just for fun.

I collect because my dad and I used to talk about how nice it would be to "have 1 from the entire set". Life raced on and we never got around to it. Now that he's gone I figure it is the least that I can do by trying to collect "at least 1" of every one made - in his remembrance. All of the other ones are just for fun! :)

Oh the reasons are manifold! (top 10)

1. To carry concealed with confidence (Kahr PM9)
2. To intimidate while "printing" in 7-11's (1968 Browning hi-Power)
3. To look at a shiny b1tchen gun (Detonics Pocket 9)
4. To be ready at all times when the SHTF (Evil Black AR15, M4 style)
5. To manage wildlife in the only responsible way (Ruger 270WIN)
6. To have something in my sock (Walther TPH .22LR)
7. To turn heads in an indoor range (S&W .357 magnum)
8. They've got beautiful lines, like good boats and women
9. They're fun to clean when daughters' boyfriend is around
10. Because they're better to collect than baseball cards at my age (all of 'dem)

:)

From age 18 to 27, I only had one gun at a time. As I look back I think of how weird that seems! Who only has ONE gun? :confused: Purchases at this point are still made with a specific purpose in mind for each firearm. Pistols for CC and HD. Carbines for HD and plinking. Now that I have a primary and backup in the pistol and carbine categories, I'll be looking at mid and long rifles for hunting and SHTF scenarios, and a shotgun or two. Probably still a year or two away from buying guns just for fun.

ok who Honestly uses their carbines for home Defense? iv thought about it, but i don't think it would be a good go to bun for HD perhaps as a last option, I just fear it going through wall after wall after wall after wall..... and so on

I have a very small, very targeted, high quality gun collection. Only 4 guns right now. When it comes to guns I pretty much only buy the ones that are very useful to me and that I will shoot all the time every range trip. If there is a weird cool gun I want to try but will probably get bored of quickly I don't bother buying it I just wait until I find someone who has it and will let me shoot it. :)
1) bought a 10/22, first gun I owned and I bought it cuz I heard that is what you should buy for a first gun
2) AR-15, competition and home defense. It has been through many upgrades and renovations based on what I learned about my shooting style over the years but is the same base gun underneath.
3) CZ-75, bought for concealed carry and competition
4) CZ-452, after shooting for a few years I decided to sell my 10/22 for something more accurate. I get plenty of dakka with my AR-15, for plinking I am more interested in something that can take the head off a plastic army man with iron sights. Aw yeah. :cool: Plus I wanted a bolt action cuz all my other guns are semi-auto.
5) sig p238, wanted something I could carry while doing exercise without having a huge fullsize weighing me down. Also useful for when you have to dress nice and wearing a giant web gun belt would look redonkulous.
6) sig p229, I like da/sa wonder 9s, but wanted something more modern than a pre-b CZ-75. I wanted a light rail, tritium or fiber sights (new sights do not fit pre-B CZs and you can't even cut the slide for the new sights because it requires cutting from the front), and something a bit smaller for concealed carry so I sold the CZ and bought this.

PLANNED PURCHASES
7) More upgrades for everything. And some suppressors. I really like the AAC cans and the 51T mounting system so I will probably get an M4-2000 as my next big gun-related purchase.
8) Remington 870P, need a shotgun for 3-gun. I have played with many shotguns and this was by far my favorite. Kind of considering a benelli m4 though, those are cool too, but working a pump makes my pee-pee hard. :love:
9) Something accurate in .308 so I can take a long range class and learn to shoot far away things and use mil-dot scopes. Maybe the new LMT .308 MWS.

Don't really know what other guns I'd be interested in owning. Anything else I get will just be for kicks at the range. Maybe an M1 garand, those are fun--they go PING! Maybe a steyr aug a3, I have always liked augs... Perhaps someday I will get into extreme long range shooting and get a .338 lapua or .50BMG. Right now I am happy with my collection and am focusing on making my AR-15 the perfect lightweight low-recoil carbine (for me anyway) and other various upgrades on my other guns. Currently waiting on BCM to do another production run of 14.5" lightweight profile mid-length barrels.

ok who Honestly uses their carbines for home Defense? iv thought about it, but i don't think it would be a good go to bun for HD perhaps as a last option, I just fear it going through wall after wall after wall after wall..... and so on

Actually 5.56 loses velocity really quickly going through materials. I may be wrong, but if I recall it penetrates less walls than hotloaded 9mm out of a carbine/smg. A 5.56 carbine gives you the extra punch of a long gun without the liability of buckshot if you miss. Pretty good solution for home defense actually. But this is unrelated to the thread, maybe we should make a new thread for this topic?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top