JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
:confused:

Went to the gun show this weekend at the Expo Center. Picked up a new Springfired XD-40....been wanting one for some time.

Well I took it out yesterday to give it a try, took careful aim and yet everything was low/left (shooting from 30 & 48 yrds). Gave it to my friend, Washington County SO and he experienced nearly the same results.

Is there a way to double check if the sights are off? Or do I just take it to a gunsmith to have the sights verified?

Disappointing....:gun10:

i would do some dry fire practice and trigger control drills, as well as work on your grip since it is a new firearm to you and there is a lot to take into account such as grip angle and such. have you tried resting steady at a bench with the pistol? then again you are shooting at 48 yards ..lol :)

Was it NIB or was it used, It's possible if used that somebody tried to do a bubba sight replacement and couldn't get the notoriously tight stock sights out, but did manage to drift them slightly. If its new I got nothin.

However in either case next to the base of each sight machined into the slide there is a reference mark that should align with the edge of each sight. If you can't see both marks chances are the sights have been drifted.

:confused:

Went to the gun show this weekend at the Expo Center. Picked up a new Springfired XD-40....been wanting one for some time.

Well I took it out yesterday to give it a try, took careful aim and yet everything was low/left (shooting from 30 & 48 yrds). Gave it to my friend, Washington County SO and he experienced nearly the same results.

Is there a way to double check if the sights are off? Or do I just take it to a gunsmith to have the sights verified?

Disappointing....:gun10:

How far low/left? 30+ yards requires some precision sight alignment

The gun was NIB....I never knew about the reference marks, I'll have to check it out when I get home.

Regarding grip size/angle, I already have an XD-9 (my favorite carry guy). Size/angle are very similar on both guns....might just be my eye sight...not fun getting old.

At 30+ yrds most were hitting around the 7-8pm mark....about 2 in. left...don't get me wrong, these would all still be considered solid kill hits just not what I am accustom too when shooting similar distances with my 9mm.

Then again....first time out with a new gun...and it's been 6 months since I had the opportunity to do some plinking...

At 30+ yrds most were hitting around the 7-8pm mark....about 2 in. left...don't get me wrong, these would all still be considered solid kill hits just not what I am accustom too when shooting similar distances with my 9mm.

Then again....first time out with a new gun...and it's been 6 months since I had the opportunity to do some plinking...

2 inches windage at 30 yards is not bad at all, easy to correct if it's the sights, and hitting low could mean you were shooting light weight/high velocity bullets/loads for the caliber or you were pulling the shots low

Bring it in closer and see where you're grouping, 7-15yds. Get some more trigger time, make sure you're not doing anything wrong.
That said, the sights could be off. A friends brand new XDM was off by a couple inches from the factory.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top