JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
While I haven't gotten out in a couple years, I've had good luck with these, after weatherizing:

Both need some waterproofing. But for me, thin soles equal quiet.

Vintage Spirit & Sky Moccasins, Sweet Vintage Moccasins from Spool 72. |  Spool No.72

A large part of my hunting is done in quality, well fitting athletic shoes.

Even in cool weather good socks will keep your feet warm.

Most people are 'overkill' when it comes to footwear when hunting - and with hunting your movement should be kept to a minimum as much as possible. Hunting should not be an 'extended' hiking event but that sometimes happens. Regardless lighter, well fitting footwear with good soles are much more practical than massive leather boots I often see.
I have a buddy who hiked the PCT trail a few years ago, all 2,650 miles. He swore by good quality running type shoes with a good tread for dirt.

Something to consider here is also , just how you walk...

Lift your feet , watch where you step , walk in short spurts , not long distance strides or as in continuous movement...
Avoid pushing brush out of the way...and if you do...hold on to the brush as you pass and don't let it spring back into place....things like that.

As far as boots go...Hmmm
I usually hunt in moccasins...So I'd second the notion of having a pair of boots that fit well and are solely
( pun intended) used for hunting.
Andy

Dang it…. I was going to say moccasins! Too "folksy/hippie" for me though ( ;) ), but that'd be the quietest option.

There's no such thing as "the quietest boot". If there were, it would put all other hunting boot manufacturers out of business.

It's more about fit and quality than anything. Cheap fake leather squeaks. Good leather, properly cared for, will breathe and mold to your foot when broken in. Keeping your foot from moving around and keeping the leather oiled is far more important than any kind of "design".

I've been through the wringer when it comes to boots. I finally spent some decent money on some Whites last year. Couple that with a good cleaning/treatment setup from Obenaufs and your feet will love you forever. I've put over 100 miles on these Whites boots so far and they are nicely broken in now. No noise, no blisters and most importantly, they support my weak ankles better than most any other expensive boots I've tried. (Danner, Kennetrek and Meindl, specifically.)

I have also given up on gore-tex and other synthetic liners. Good merino wool socks are key. I also bring an extra pair with me and change them if I'm out and moving for any significant time. The wool will keep your feet warm even when soaking wet in frigid temps.

Don't look for that "ultimate brand", but rather the "ultimate fit".

Something to consider here is also , just how you walk...

Lift your feet , watch where you step , walk in short spurts , not long distance strides or as in continuous movement...
Avoid pushing brush out of the way...and if you do...hold on to the brush as you pass and don't let it spring back into place....things like that.

As far as boots go...Hmmm
I usually hunt in moccasins...So I'd second the notion of having a pair of boots that fit well and are solely
( pun intended) used for hunting.
Andy

Thank you everyone for the useful input and jokes. You all never fail to disappoint. 😂
Andy I do try to do most of what you say, the exception is I find it had at this point to keep my stride any shorter than heel to toe. :/ I'm still working on moving slow though the woods and when I do I hear my boots as loud as a sloshing water bottle in a pack. I don't have an issue clothing wise as I wear old surplus desert bdu pants (It's cheap and comfortable), or blue jeans, or my work cargo pants (Riggs Ranger pants). I will look into hiking shoes or getting large wool socks from the thrift store. Barefoot would slow me down a lot no doubt with my tender feet. Lol

Here are the Danners I have worn the last few years and I like them for a number of reasons, one being with good wool socks I can cross a creek or stream in the early morning hours before sun up and get them soaked and go sit on a hillside and be fine or even better if I wrap myself up in a woobie. And if I get up I can still move about no problem. Downside is I blew an eyelet wearing them in the snow storm back in February. Going to see if danger can fix it, but not holding my breath. The leather get ups are my work boots, super comfortable. One is my inside pair, the other is for dirt work outside. And funny you all should mention moccasins... the last pair is actually what gave me the idea to knuckle down and ask the question that I have asked.

Thank you everyone for the input and information and I look forward to seeing what other information everyone has.

6900A4A6-C731-45FF-AABF-2AE110D22213.jpeg 2BE8142F-D148-4594-B200-14FA19BCEEBE.jpeg 78FDD4E6-1661-401A-86FE-24C18A0FE385.jpeg 2C24C113-DB67-4482-89AC-A1F77BF40805.jpeg D5EC7A28-F7B3-4CAA-9FA8-C34566B78381.jpeg 620A840D-3F08-4C33-8190-0588A4407D85.jpeg DBBF25DA-1ED4-4B0C-BD73-276B4766FE87.jpeg

the exception is I find it had at this point to keep my stride any shorter than heel to toe. :/ I'm still working on moving slow though the woods and when I do I hear my boots as loud as a sloshing water bottle in a pack.
I dont plan on going barefoot with wool socks or whatever but the past year Ive worked on slowing down to a snails pace walk and have found that even in the driest conditions I can move silently and in fact have started seeing deer in heavy timber up close. Deer are funny creatures, sometimes they stare at you but its really more your movement that disturbs the environment than it is your presence. My issue is, im too impatient and want to "hike" and move about but when I stuck to it and made no sounds cause I was moving so slow, ive been seeing game. Ive also started glassing inside heavy timber even 50yds and looking for that ear twitching or antler tip. I think the delimma has more to do with movement than sound and footwear. My theory right now anyways, still learning.

I dont plan on going barefoot with wool socks or whatever but the past year Ive worked on slowing down to a snails pace walk and have found that even in the driest conditions I can move silently and in fact have started seeing deer in heavy timber up close. Deer are funny creatures, sometimes they stare at you but its really more your movement that disturbs the environment than it is your presence. My issue is, im too impatient and want to "hike" and move about but when I stuck to it and made no sounds cause I was moving so slow, ive been seeing game. Ive also started glassing inside heavy timber even 50yds and looking for that ear twitching or antler tip. I think the delimma has more to do with movement than sound and footwear. My theory right now anyways, still learning.
I'm still learning too, but that makes some sense to me.

I am a gear fanatic I like to be cozy and comfortable when hunting while being able to move like a ninja. But my dad who has gotten more deer out of Eastern Oregon than any I know with at least a 90% success rate didn't wear anything fancy no backpack no hi-tech gear or fancy boots. He wore his tennis shoes the same ones he wore at work and plane old jeans T-shirt and flannel and an orange hat. he carried several knives. Everything he needed was in his pockets and attached to his belt. I walked with him learning to hunt and he showed me how to walk quietly and tennis shoes are a lot quieter than most boots.

As far as scent goes he never used any other than smoking 3 packs of cigarettes a day which is what killed him but maybe it masked scents cause he sure was a lot more successful at harvesting deer than I ever was.

A friend of mine used to wear moccasins. They were really extremely quiet but if you have tender feet maybe not the best.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR