JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I am somewhat surprised that there is no mention of Taurus in the post. From what I have read and heard, people tend to be either very pro or very con in regards to the Taurus brand. I've never owned or fired one so I have no opinion, but since I will be in the market for an inexpensive handgun in the near future I would be interested in the opinions of folks who have.

I am somewhat surprised that there is no mention of Taurus in the post. From what I have read and heard, people tend to be either very pro or very con in regards to the Taurus brand. I've never owned or fired one so I have no opinion, but since I will be in the market for an inexpensive handgun in the near future I would be interested in the opinions of folks who have.
I've only ever owned one Taurus, a 709 slim. I really wanted to like the piece. It had great ergonomics, for me. The trigger was very smooth and light (perhaps too light) for a CC pistol. I could hide it in my pocket easily. But...it would fail to extract, it would light strike, and I never knew from one round to the next if it would be in 'single action' mode or 'double action' mode.
I tried to take the firing pin out to clean out the channel, thinking that was part of the problem and I could . NOT. get it apart. So I sent it off to Taurus, on their dime.
They had it for six weeks, and when it came back it was worse than before.
I sold it to a guy at the range, with full disclosure.

Now that's just one Taurus, and I know a lot of guys who have never had a problem with theirs, but the fact that Taurus customer service couldn't, or wouldn't, fix it bothered me. I won't own another Taurus. At least for a long while. YMMV.

I bought 3 of their revolvers (new) in the mid-late 1980s and all repeatedly broke parts. One time the .357 broke the cylinder stop and locked up so badly that it took a smith to get it apart so it could be unloaded for return. We were shooting .38 target loads. Even back then it was getting too expensive shipping them back repeatedly, today it would be crazy expensive.. sold all 3 and never again will own one

My lemon so far was a Springfield 1911 gi stainless. Had nothing but problems, failures to load, eject, extract, accuracy was so so. And yea, my hi point out performed it. In every way. Except looks and ergonomics.
I finally got the Springfield running right, after much work on the feed ramp, a new Wilson combat extractor, different recoil spring, etc. Then sold it. Kept the hi point.
My lemon was a stainless AMT Hardballer .45ACP. No matter what I did to try to improve it, it would NEVER get even close to 100% function.

OK, maybe the better question might be, what are some budget firearms that can be trusted? My list:

Kel-tec (though none of their guns are very comfortable to shoot, they work reliably for defense, not a fun gun though)
Stoeger (the Couger is a very nice gun at a low price that you can take shooting everyday without a hitch)
Sometimes some of the dealers on this site get a buy on police trade-in glocks and S&W's that I would trust

I guess if I only had $250-350 these are the ones I would consider. I'm sure others have more ideas. Watch this site's classified section religiously, you can find some bargains from time to time, but you better act fast. A lot of other people are ready to jump at any good deal that comes up!

Buy the cheapest POS you can find, this question has been posed soooo many times, with no definate answer. Considering your grammer and spelling (and your question) some one with your obvious intellect will be better off with a gun that has an orange tip at the end of the barrel.

Are you really going to trust an absolute strangers advice, over doing your own research? All you are going to find here are opinions, develop your own.

Tell you what, go ask your buddies.

Better yet go ask a counter idiot at cabela's.

Rude. P r i c ks like you keep people from joining the sport. This person just wanted the opinion of some people who know what they are talking about. To you it's a dumb question, but for a person who doesn't know it isn't. Just try to help without bagging on the guy.

I was so ticked off when I read coop44's post that I replied before reading what you all wrote in response. So glad to see that the majority of you are the kind of people I am proud to share a hobby with.

It's been my observation and experience that they're just not on the same level as the other poly-gun manufacturers, and being that I'm a Glock guy, the great rivalry contributes to a spirit of minor exaggeration when speaking of the "other team."

They're not lemons.. but they're not on par with Glock or M&P, so it seems silly that they're priced the same.

The short answer is he is a Glock Guy, and an honest one. Never take a Glock Guy's opinion on the XD or vice versa! They are both great guns at a great value, but there's is a battle that will live forever!

No she isnt anti gun, but isnt very comfortable with them in the house yet. Right now I have a 30.06 and a 12ga. She really doesnt see spending so much money on something that she feels isnt needed. Plus when we have cash in the house or bank that isnt taken, it is easy for her to see a NEED and use the money there rather than using it for a WANT. Plus right now it seems we always need something fixed or replaced. I am working on getting her out on the range. She has gone shooting once with me many years ago, but didnt enjoy it very much.

I would suggest getting a good .22 pistol. The other day at the range a guy was trying to get his wife into shooting with a .45 acp and a 9mm. I could tell she was not into it and offered my Browning buckmark to him to let her try shooting it. She loved it! No big scarry bang, or recoil, and she was hitting what she was aiming at. The guy and I spoke later and he thanked me because she actually asked to go buy one so she could start shooting with him.

That being said, Ruger Single Six's are an affordable classic, used browning or ruger semi-autos are normally very reliable, and it used to be you could pick up a decent high-standard rimfire pistol for cheap, but they seem to be hard to find at a bargain anymore.

Sometimes some of the dealers on this site get a buy on police trade-in glocks and S&W's that I would trust.
I guess if I only had $250-350 these are the ones I would consider. Watch this site's classified section religiously, you can find some bargains from time to time, but you better act fast. A lot of other people are ready to jump at any good deal that comes up!
Jordanvraptor showed me a S&W 5904 on gunbroker.com that I am looking hard at. The input that I have read on them are very good and it turned out that one of my buddies had one and loved it. Plus I do look at NWFA classifieds every day, sometimes twice.

Good point. Taurus is right in there. Bersa too.

the only gun I really considered a lemon that I ever had was a nagant revolver, was only 100 bucks, turned around and sold it that same day. Trigger was damn near un-pullable in double action in single action it was...well it pulled anyway.

furst off fugiv any spelin er grmmar

I would suggest looking into bursa as well. I've had 2 380's great pistols. Passed one on to the wife and one to my son.
I now carry the 9mm uc pro ... even better pistol. Good conceal and fit. And the wife enjoys shooting it as well.

Now as for the richard noggins that just in and rag on posters. There are no dumb questions.

Must be hard to live in the mind of someone who instantly thinks up a snide post to thow up.

Do everybody a favor and keep your sh##ty coments inside that tiny little mind of yours. Nobody but you relate to them.

OP .. Good luck finding a new tool.
If you are likking for just a good shooter, a good 22 can't be beat.
CC there are lots to chose from. If you have friends that shoot, put the word out your looking. The right one might just came to you.
d8)
Thanx fer reedin ma post

They say he's gone postal
Life member of
Oregon Hunters Association
National Rifle Association
universalshootingsports
bersachat
northwestfirearms
hipointtalk
facebook

Just took a look around, I guess all the trade ins have dried up, oh well wait a while they will come down. Too many of them out there for prices to stay high. Or, you can negotiate a 500 dollar down a bit.

If anyone wants to make a trip, I have a shop here in Spokane that sells LE trade-ins for $309. Good guns that look and function like a Glock should!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top