JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought my first floor gun safe last month, and I have been looking at accessories. I couldn't afford a lot at the time, other than built-in electrical outlet and dehumidifier wand, which I considered essential.

So now I am looking at lighting (ezpensive plugged in vs. battery operated), door rack, hygrometer, etc., and wondering if folks have opinions as to how to prioritize the buying of accessories. I bought a safe with plenty of room to grow, so I don't need a door organizer yet, so I think that will wait. I want to buy some organizers for pistols, but don't want to buy one type, then learn something better, more efficient is needed later.

You get the idea. Comments welcome.

I just got my first safe. I was able to get a model with built-in lights and a built-in receptacle for power as well as a door organizer so those items are taken care of. I know my first purchases will be a dehumidifier (probably both electric rod and a rechargeable dehumidifier device). I'll wait on the hygrometer for later.

As for lights, if I decide to add more, I'll be using the 'puck' style lights you can find at Home Depot or Lowes. They're the kind you'd normally put under a cabinet in your kitchen. They're small, easy to install and put out good light. You could place them on the walls or even under the shelves with just double-sided sticky tape. I've got a few sets in my house, they work really well. You can get 120V or there are battery operated models that work with a remote. Here are a few links:

http://www.amazon.com/Homemates-Wireless-Puck-Lights-Remote/dp/B00FP67OV2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1407333921&sr=8-3&keywords=puck light

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Hampton-...binet-Xenon-Puck-Light-Kit-EC1333SV/203101595

*Dehumidifier/golden rod
(heat rod).

*A light or two.
(I prefer batter operated lights.)

*Shelves in my safe(s) I utilize the shelving units that come with the safe but also make/use my own.

*Pistol racks
I like to keep my pistols above my rifles/shotguns in my safe(s). Though Im not a big pistol guy, I have enough to where I cannot keep them on a shelf alone. So I rack them, be it the door OR a caddy unit that better organizes them.

*velcro zipper pouches attached to walls or door. I keep paperwork in there as well as NFA paperwork. Makes for better storage. Keeps my shelves free for other.. Items. :)

*A mini safe.
I keep some cash and a minuscule amount of silver along with more "important" paperwork. If someone breaks into my large safe(s) that SOB is going to have to work just a little harder for my petty cash. :)

I keep my serial numbers of my firearms in a separate location should any go missing without my consent.

And lastly, a second
(or third..or fourth :)) safe for separate firearm and ammo/mag storage. Never keep all your eggs in one basket. Make those would-be thieves work for it should they dare try & rob you.

So far I have a heat rod, combination dial light, a cheap Walmart motion sensor light, rechargeable dessicant thingy left over from the cabinet I was using, and some pistol racks left over from the cabinet. Better lighting is on my list. A second safe is now on the list :D. Three guns purchased in the past two weeks rather than accessories are in there. As for lights, I think a combination of plug in and battery lights will be installed eventually. Plug in lights for general use and a couple battery powered ones for emergencies/power outages. Good idea on the mini safe so I put that in there mostly as a bit more fire protection for important documents. Thanks for the ideas guys.

Last Edited:
Heat rod & light are the 2 most important.

Mine came with both as well as the door mounted handgun & document pouches. Useful but unless you have a number of handguns (that will fit) in the door pockets I wouldn't bother.

Don't know if this has been brought up before, but it's also a good idea to take numerous photos of each firearm in your safe--put it in a file on a computer with descriptions of each along with the components; e.g. , Remington 700 ($499), Leupold III 4x12 ($600), Brand X rings and bases ($80). Photos of actual receipts would be a bonus along with any gunsmithing work. Sounds like a pain (and it kinda is) but if you need to file a claim with your insurance company, you'll be happy you did. Also a good time to check your policy and coverages and read the fine print. My trap gun alone exceeds the policy limits for firearms on most policies. YMMV.

I watched this a few hours ago. It's a pretty good idea IMO.

My safe is too thick to drill so my wife pipes in with, looks like you need another safe just for your guns!

I love that woman;)

Nice :) I just bought my first safe, but got one with an outlet already installed, so it's nice and simple.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top