JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I purchased several Weatherby Vanguards in the last several years and am tickled with their accuracy. I can shoot dime size groups out of the Vanguard S2 with non-premium 150 grain Federal ammo. I also picked up a 300 winchester and a 270; some on sale and some at regular prices.

In days not to distant past, i would have recomended a Remmy 700 or a Winchester Mod 70 as THE rifles all others wanted to be. Later, i became a YUGE fan of Ruger, the M-77 and Hawk Eyes, but as of a few years ago when my lovely hunting partner cam home with a big grin on her face and a rifle case stuffed with Finnish Awesomeness, we jave become YUGE fans of Tikka, and after we sighted it in and began punching paper with more accuracy then any good hunting rifle I hade ever seen, i went and traded mt Sako Finnlite strait across for a brand new Tikka Super Varmint in .30/06! That rifle shoots better outta the box than most custom shop rifles I have seen! Sadly, Beretta in all their wisdom stopped importing the Super Varmints:mad::eek::(

Op, its my humble opinion that a Tikka offers the best rifle of any for the price, and would give you the best potential a rifle can to harvest game at reasonable distances!
As to caliber, thats going ro be up to you and your intended need, and I agree with the others here, .308 win is a great all around hunting choice! :cool:

I'm confused... Are you asking about Brand, or caliber, or both?

(BTW, the caliber discussions are another endless debate that's ALL personal opinion. You will get many differing assertions that one is hands down the best of all others... NOT! IMO is that there are many good calibers for any one animal, and many that prove to be versatile enough to serve several purposes. You can search the forum for previous discussions, or you can google it, or both.)

Rifles, I consistently hear good things about Tikka... no idea what they cost.

I personally own a Ruger 77 in .308Win... a production rifle of moderate cost and good quality in a versatile caliber that can take deer as well as elk and be loaded down for practice, or up (velocity) with lighter boolitts for varmints. I even have some shells that I loaded with sabots and .22cal 55gr boolitts, cooking out at about 4000fps. Not great for barrel life, and not great accuracy, but should tear up a 'yote at 100-200yds. The other nice thing about .308 is that it was favored in bench rest competitions for many years and so the ballistics, bullet drop, windage, etc, are well known. Factory rounds are available almost everywhere, and a wide variety of bullets are available for reloaders.

I am not trying to pigeon-hole but broaden the discussion (don't mean that to be a smart-aleck statement). I am interested in why hunters prefer a particular rifle for certain types of hunting. I seem to be understanding some tend to prefer .243's and 30-30's for less recoil, and they use them for going after small to medium-sized deer. I realize distance is a factor also. It appears .308's are the all-around rifle for even elk. I have no idea whether I will be an elk hunter, but I wouldn't pass up the chance if I had one. 30-30's sound iffy for elk, but .308's would bring an elk down--is that right? I know some here are brand loyal, but I am disappointed by some of the biggest names. I have heard of Tikka, and they sound expensive. If I was ready to spend around $1.000 or so, I'd go for Henry or Browning in .308 lever-action. I'm still not settled on lever-action only. For example, I may find out I like shooting 200, 300, or more yards. I have found .308's that shoot 1.000 yards (and maybe they're capable of even greater distances). Later on, I may own ever type of rifle out there. Right now, I am just open to suggestion. Really, I should have asked the best hunting rifle for the money. I know what a lot of articles say, and it ends up being a history lesson. I am more interested in the present.

I am not trying to pigeon-hole but broaden the discussion (don't mean that to be a smart-aleck statement). I am interested in why hunters prefer a particular rifle for certain types of hunting. I seem to be understanding some tend to prefer .243's and 30-30's for less recoil, and they use them for going after small to medium-sized deer. I realize distance is a factor also. It appears .308's are the all-around rifle for even elk. I have no idea whether I will be an elk hunter, but I wouldn't pass up the chance if I had one. 30-30's sound iffy for elk, but .308's would bring an elk down--is that right? I know some here are brand loyal, but I am disappointed by some of the biggest names. I have heard of Tikka, and they sound expensive. If I was ready to spend around $1.000 or so, I'd go for Henry or Browning in .308 lever-action. I'm still not settled on lever-action only. For example, I may find out I like shooting 200, 300, or more yards. I have found .308's that shoot 1.000 yards (and maybe they're capable of even greater distances). Later on, I may own ever type of rifle out there. Right now, I am just open to suggestion. Really, I should have asked the best hunting rifle for the money. I know what a lot of articles say, and it ends up being a history lesson. I am more interested in the present.

AS I mentioned earlier I hunt with a Tikka. Which I bought a number of years ago on sale at Bass Pro for around $600. I have only modified it by adding a limb saver because .300winmag hurts a lot after a couple boxes of ammo. I absolutly love the rifle. It shoots great out of the box and it fits me very well. I have a couple of gripes about the gun but they are not the guns fault but more my choices in caliber and finish.

Long story short, when it comes to hunting/shooting ever single person you talk to will give you a different answer about what they prefer. So find a gun and caliber that fits you and your specific application/s and get good at shooting it.

In days not to distant past, i would have recomended a Remmy 700 or a Winchester Mod 70 as THE rifles all others wanted to be. Later, i became a YUGE fan of Ruger, the M-77 and Hawk Eyes, but as of a few years ago when my lovely hunting partner cam home with a big grin on her face and a rifle case stuffed with Finnish Awesomeness, we jave become YUGE fans of Tikka, and after we sighted it in and began punching paper with more accuracy then any good hunting rifle I hade ever seen, i went and traded mt Sako Finnlite strait across for a brand new Tikka Super Varmint in .30/06! That rifle shoots better outta the box than most custom shop rifles I have seen! Sadly, Beretta in all their wisdom stopped importing the Super Varmints:mad::eek::(

Op, its my humble opinion that a Tikka offers the best rifle of any for the price, and would give you the best potential a rifle can to harvest game at reasonable distances!
As to caliber, thats going ro be up to you and your intended need, and I agree with the others here, .308 win is a great all around hunting choice! :cool:
Great example of what I like to read. I haven't looked at Tikka and will check them out. So, Finnish rifle? By the name, I suspected Japanese. When I was a kid, made in Japan was cheapo crap. With cars that changed. Now, some gun manufacturers are returning to Japan, but it doesn't appear to necessarily be in their favor.

Great example of what I like to read. I haven't looked at Tikka and will check them out. So, Finnish rifle? By the name, I suspected Japanese. When I was a kid, made in Japan was cheapo crap. With cars that changed. Now, some gun manufacturers are returning to Japan, but it doesn't appear to necessarily be in their favor.

Where are you located. You're more than welcome to some shoot my Tikka if you would like. I am getting some upgrades put on it starting this weekend. so it will be a couple weeks before its back

Howa make a pretty decent rifle, the M1500 is for all intents and purposes about the equal of a Remington 700, certainly nothing to sneeze at, especially as Weatherby uses them to build many of their rifles!

I purchased several Weatherby Vanguards in the last several years and am tickled with their accuracy. I can shoot dime size groups out of the Vanguard S2 with non-premium 150 grain Federal ammo. I also picked up a 300 winchester and a 270; some on sale and some at regular prices.
I think you're the guy who said you don't break-in rifles, yet you've had accuracy with the Weatherby Vanguard? Another one I haven't checked out. Thanks.

Okay, new terminology for me, rate of twist. So, a Tikka .243 has a rate of twist of 10 and the .308 is eleven; 7mm Rem mag is 9.5; 6.5 Creedmoor is 8. What the heck do those numbers mean and is it all that important?

Okay, new terminology for me, rate of twist. So, a Tikka .243 has a rate of twist of 10 and the .308 is eleven; 7mm Rem mag is 9.5; 6.5 Creedmoor is 8. What the heck do those numbers mean and is it all that important?
It is the number of turns per foot that the rifling is cut at. It is determined by what Bullet weight works best for most factory ammo to shoot the best.

Very important! The rate of twist is what stabilizes the bullet and provides the accurace. TIKKA are well known for having some of the best barrels known to man, ( parrent company Sako) so you know they have it all figured out!

I think you're the guy who said you don't break-in rifles, yet you've had accuracy with the Weatherby Vanguard? Another one I haven't checked out. Thanks.

Weatherby has a Weatherby WeatherGuard Vanguard rifle in most calibers. Very sweet. I have one in 270. The Weatherby weighs in at about 7.5 pounds and with scope on rest is steady and performance is very accurate. I missed the opportunity last September when Wallmart was closing out the Vanguard at less than $300.

Very important! The rate of twist is what stabilizes the bullet and provides the accurace. TIKKA are well known for having some of the best barrels known to man, ( parrent company Sako) so you know they have it all figured out!
Uh, learning about guns, and have never heard of Sako until now. Thanks for explaining the twist. So, the higher the number the better?

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top