JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We ended up at San Blas again. $57 with tip, it wasn't great.

Eating out sucks.
Oh man. IF, I/we eat Mexican's out it's a taco truck. Or more common, I make as good of Mexican food as the real Mexican's, Latino's, Hispanic's make. I'm lucky I guess, we save the fancy going out meals money on a yearly vaca. We both like a good dive bar. A good plate of a burger, patty melt, triple decker sandwich with fries and a salad. A couple of decent beers/gin & tonic, hits about $50.00. But we used to go out once a week. Since FJB screwed the American People, it's once a month/month and a half, if that!
Our place here is called "Calamity Jae's". About 112th and NE Halsey.

I don't know of any sit down restaurants in the Portland metro area serving a meal, especially a meal that I would take my wife to, for $10 per person plus tip. Maybe if you have a Time Machine and can go back about 30 years…

If you can find a good meal at a sit down restaurant for a couple, and get out the door for under $50 you did real well; $75 or $100 is probably more likely if the food, service, and experience are enjoyable for you and your date. And you can definitely spend much more for a really nice place!

A coworker and I were talking about this recently. I found out quickly that he and I live in very different worlds.

He and his wife went out for dinner the night before, and he opined that $100 before drinks and tips was a bargain for "decent" food. Drinks would typically be another hundred (wine snobs), and a minimum 25% for acceptable service puts the total at around $250 for a dinner for two.

Yeah, they live in a different world. Their household income is at least double mine, and they don't have kids or medical bills. I'm sure they have more "refined palates" that appreciate expensive dishes that would be wasted on us, such as the duck liver pate he was gushing about.

I'm fine with a $50 dinner a few times a year, for the wife and I, maybe a little more occasionally, if we're feeling extravagant and the appetizers or deserts look good.

If we eat out as a family it's a whole different story. Two teenagers and two almost-teens makes that an expensive outing, even for fast food.

Even when I did have sense of taste and smell, I wouldn't pay that kind of money for food that I can make, or come close to, myself. We used to go after the government cheese and butter when it was available. Money was very precious at imes in the past. "Eating", is still about the cheapest thing you can do at home that provides a great deal of enjoyment. Paying someone 5-10X that amount is ludicrous. Glad I've got myself a life partner that puts much more value on things other than a c-note spent on something as easy as "Food"! I feel bad for restaurants too, seeing as they have to pay more and more and more all the ime to this rotten state in taxes and fees and all the regulations as to scheduling forced on them by the woke dim elite ruling class in this state.

You can't even order an appetizer for $10 anymore.

I spend on average $12-15 for lunch now days for myself.

If I go out? Minimum $50 for two and that is going to a cheap place.

Last Edited:
Only reason for me to eat at a fine dining place is tio take a woman there and enjoy her company. Once I got old and ugly dining just doesn't happen now. I make better food at home.

If you drink alcohol, eating out gets expensive. If you can get by with a Coke a lot of places do cheap Happy Hours (tacos, wings, etc.).

It used to be in Oregon the OLCC required a percentage of all bar sales to be food. The owners broke even (or lost) on the cheap tacos and made their money back on booze and lotto. When I was poor kid I used to know where all the deals were. "Life Hacks".

I like food and I enjoy eating out. But even Burger King is $20 for two people. Everything is expensive now except breathing air.

You're screwed.

A fast food burger is $12.50
I can tell you what was going through my mind, as I paid the $57 for the meal. I was thinking, I just paid nearly a third of the price of @Reno DB9 pistol/gear set up.

Gentlemen of NW Firearms, I am seriously disappointed in your lack of thoughtful and educated responses in this post. I can't believe, especially @sobo, that after this many responses, one has not named a Portland Icon that truly fits the OP's criteria. I give you, The Acropolis, Food and Entertainment:

Menu, including Steaks, 2lb burger, etc. All for under $10.

Mike drop....

Last Edited:
Gentlemen of NW Firearms, I am seriously disappointed in your lack of thoughtful and educated responses in this post. I can't believe, especially @sobo, that after this many responses, one has not named a Portland Icon that truly fits the OP's criteria. I give you, The Acropolis, Food and Entertainment:

Excuse me, my good man, but I do not deign to sully my Hush Puppies by setting foot within the confines of Potland.
And therefore, I am not disposed to expound upon, nor shalt I proffer, any opinion of the culinary entablature therein...
Good day, suh!

Snooty elitist1.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads