JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Communication is King!
Audio
Visual

At our club, each member is a safety officer; a range officer may stop in from time to time. We politely correct and or check each other.

When the range is cold, the flag is down, and people are down range afixing targets, nobody is allowed to touch any firearm, PERIOD! If I'm left back, I invite other stay behind out onto the apron until everyone is back.

Even within our Monday usuals (4); we communicate with each other. When another shooter arrives, we politely communicate to get us all in sync. with each other.

Timeouts are expected; allow people to set up a chrono or a new target.

Demonstrate firearms safety for each other to see; I remove the bolt or leave the breach open or rack em when I'm not shootn.

We leave if the zombie apocolyse shooters show up for their audio-visual exercises...:rolleyes:

We do a visual when we leave to make sure the PZ is clean...

What do you think will happen to her right index finger when she pulls that trigger?!

004-t-WEB_t630.jpg

What do you think will happen to her right index finger when she pulls that trigger?!
View attachment 391969

I mean, I know what your saying, but with the grip she has she is going to pull the trigger with that finger...so it will stay attached.

My rule when I take new folks or kids to the range is one at at a time. One (and only one) experienced person per new shooter, and they are right next/behind them to catch them if they do something stupid.

Last Edited:
The best common sense range educate is learned from a tough TI (training instructor) wearing a smokey bear hat and spit shined boots. The basics of human training were established around the time of Napoleon and have changed little sense. you really have to be tough, some people catch on quickly and some don't. My ex wife would get mad and her mind would get squishy. One time after a lot of training, she swung her skeet gun down the line at our military range......the rangemaster threw her off the field, she stomped off....walked down the road a bit and jumped over the perimeter fence. The Sky cops picked her up. An hour or so later a SP truck pulled up to the range where I was still shooting. I had to rescue and take responsibility for her........that made her madder yet because she was a GS9 and had been working for the USAF longer than I had been in.

Last Edited:
Yellow chamber inserts/flags are a wonderful thing!

If you set your 100lb first time shooter on a stump with a 12ga autoloader, make sure there is only 1 round in the tube. And know that this person is NEVER going to shoot again.

When shooting watermelons with a Judge from 10' away, a raincoat is a handy thing.

When benchrest shooting, it is good to have a benchrest.

Keep it in your pants. Nobody likes that much testosterone.

All guns are loaded, all the time.

If you sweep me with an unloaded firearm, I will curse you roundly. If you sweep me with a loaded firearm, be prepared to run!!

Finger discipline!!!!!!!!

Do NOT shoot 25yd plates with high power rifles.

Do not shoot over the berm/backstop.

No alcohol at the range, EVER!!!

Shoot your own target, not mine.

Why all this???? BECAUSE!!!!!!! If you gotta figure it out, stay away from me, I do not wish to be on the range with you.

Most time I go to the range I'm the only one there. I still follow all the range rules including the annoying buzzers when going downrange. Action open and in the racks while they cool down etc. Dont want to pickup bad habits:D. I even sweep up the place once in a while:p

When I'm developing loads or sighting in a rifle, everyone with a muzzle brake or compensator should leave. That would be great.
Even if it's got a flashcan concentrating it all into a narrow downrange cone?

Ideally, if I were operating a range, I'd want a separate set of lanes away from the main rifle-line for sight-in, load dev and similarly delicate stuff.

Ideally, if I were operating a range, I'd want a separate set of lanes away from the main rifle-line for sight-in, load dev and similarly delicate stuff.

The range I have a membership at has two outdoor rifle tables and room for prone away from the covered tables; there's a shotgun berm to the left of the outdoor tables. It's a great way to go pop with the primary and practice the reaction to a counter attack with a SG or pistol....tough to do while in the prone.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top