JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Practice Reaving...

Bad idea. Really really bad idea.

Great way to end up worm or hog food, leaving your loved ones lacking & perhaps never knowing what happened to you.

As to skills a prepper should have? Good values, sound judgement & a solid work ethic.

Be prepared to think "outside the box", instead of "normalcy bias", to solve problems.

Looting, reaving, and all around crappy stuff is gonna happen, best to be up to speed on it just in case the reaper comes a knockin.

Nope. Just nope.

reave
[rēv] VERB reaving (present participle)
  1. carry out raids in order to plunder.
    "the strong could reave and steal"
"

Looting, reaving, and all around crappy stuff is gonna happen, best to be up to speed on it just in case the reaper comes a knockin.

Best to always do the right thing, even if no one is watching. It is not a difficult concept.

There would be a marked difference to scavenging, say following a mass die off type event, vs looting that which someone else owns, say in a simple without rule of law situation.

The odds of surviving into a situation where scavenging would be needed & normal? Unlikely.

The odds of surviving into a without rule of law situation? Rather high, IMO. Having a plan to loot or steal (reav) in such a situation is rather telling upon what type of person one is. That's the type of person whom thinks it's ok to take from others. It's never ok.

When you look back over human history there has been times when raiding and stealing were morally justified.

Understanding the proper technique for executing a raid is just as important as knowing the proper technique for minor surgery. (Both are currently illegal for most of us today.)

The most important reason for having a strong moral code, and not violating it, is to avoid swallowing your muzzle a year after the end of hostilities.

Not so much specifically *which* as *just one more.* Learning HOW to learn and think quickly and critically is a skill sadly lacking in a number of the circles of which I am an observer. To reiterate the points which our esteemed compatriot #AndyinEverson stated, a flexible mindset and adaptability are key. Keep learning; you'll never know enough.

Didn't read the entire thread. But, one thing I have done is to cultivate relationships with, and live close to, people with skills you do not have.
Most important to me: Doctors and well drillers. I can do about almost everything else with enough time..

Not so much specifically *which* as *just one more.* Learning HOW to learn and think quickly and critically is a skill sadly lacking in a number of the circles of which I am an observer. To reiterate the points which our esteemed compatriot #AndyinEverson stated, a flexible mindset and adaptability are key. Keep learning; you'll never know enough.

Keep learning new things...and pass the knowledge to others.

Ever see pictures of disaster victims right after an event (like an earthquake, storm or fire)? Especially at night, those poor souls are often shoeless, only partially clothed (if at all) and wrapped in blankets or a borrowed shirt - perhaps handed to them by someone else trying to help.

Point is... I keep pants, shirt, shoes, socks, jacket, a weapon and a pocketful of cash within a couple feet of wherever I sleep. And I keep a full change of dry clothes, skivvies and shoes in a small bag in both cars and the truck.

If my shoes fall off in the living room when I'm watching TV, there's at least two more pair under the bed if I turn in without them.

A nasty shaker or tornado can potentially reduce any home or hotel to wreckage in seconds, but I feel like having basic clothing within a yard of me greatly increases the likelihood that I can grab some essentials when scrambling for safety, however hurried.

Ever see pictures of disaster victims right after an event (like an earthquake, storm or fire)? Especially at night, those poor souls are often shoeless, only partially clothed (if at all) and wrapped in blankets or a borrowed shirt - perhaps handed to them by someone else trying to help.

Point is... I keep pants, shirt, shoes, socks, jacket, a weapon and a pocketful of cash within a couple feet of wherever I sleep. And I keep a full change of dry clothes, skivvies and shoes in a small bag in both cars and the truck.

If my shoes fall off in the living room when I'm watching TV, there's at least two more pair under the bed if I turn in without them.

A nasty shaker or tornado can potentially reduce any home or hotel to wreckage in seconds, but I feel like having basic clothing within a yard of me greatly increases the likelihood that I can grab some essentials when scrambling for safety, however hurried.
(Never replied to my own post before.)

AND A FLASHLIGHT!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews