JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I see lots of suggestions for medical training.

The best approach here is to volunteer with the local FD...then not only do you get training, but you get to actually develope the skilset by practical application.

And you get to build a local network that can be used when things get bubblegumty.

What are some things we should be learning to be more prepared?
I would love to take a first aid class and get paramedic like training.
I also think that a ham radio class and license would be great for communications
Want to plant a garden next spring to grow my own vegetables to can
I want to learn how to naturally dry meat for long term storage also.

What do you guys think we should be learning for skills for prepping for anything?

Sounds like a really nice pathway to be on!

Can't really prepare for everything, but you can layer accordingly & using decent skills & judgement get by well enough. Mayhaps far better than just well enough.

Layering, in my mind, is overlapping/incremental preparedness which covers various things.

Specific "Scenario" prepping, IMO, is a bad idea. Be prepared to adjust whatever plans you may have according to a changing situation.

As far as books, go to your local library and see what they have. Then order every book you want from the inter-library loan system (free or you pay library postage, dirt cheap!) so they can get the books from another library.

Read all the survivalist fiction and watch all the survivalist movies you can find. Do the EXACT opposite of what they do! Example, the book "No Blade Of Grass" is excellent, the movie is too horrible for words! Not only do they die iin droves, you want them to die! A great improvement for the gene pool!

PATRIOTS by Rawles, same deal. I just read book 4.1 (according to the inside cover). Although that leaves out "The Grey Nineties" (too horrible for words), "Triple Ought" (ditto), the first "PATRIOTS" self published by Rawles for his friends to read (not me, but when has that stopped me?), and the rewritten PATRIOTS one through five, THEN the latest current rewritten version. If you can't find a few dozen screw ups in the latest book, you just aren't trying or are doomed and might as well save your money and die wealthy because all your survival supplies will just be used by others after you die.

So what to read? Carla Emerie's Old Fashioned Cookbook, anything/everything by Kurt Saxon (a friend of mine and totally nutz! In nursing home now), Foxfire book (mentioned), lots and lots of stuff that is good! Mel Tappans "Survival Guns", 45 years out of date and STILL the best out there, and yes I HAVE read 18 other "survilalist/prepper survival guns" books, none of which are worth the paper they are printed on usually. ANYTHING by "Boston T. Party" (Ken Royce).

At library and they got a deal going on I want to go to.

• Any situation where you need to rely on your preps will be stressful, not just on on you but on your loved ones. You need physical and mental strength, because like it or not, you will not only carry much/most of the burden and at the same time be responsible for the morale of others. Your first skill if getting your mind and body ready. You are central to all your preps.

• On second thought, you first and most importand skill is keeping your mouth shut about your preps, because when the Schiff hits the fan, everybody you told will be at your front door lookign for food, water, and medicine. This even means family unless your a certain they will also keep their mouths shut and notl tell their friends, even after shtf. You can always tell family after SHTF. The last thing you want is to have to turn people away from your door, so do everythign yo can to prevent it.

• There are a ton of skills you can get fro free under the CERT programs, everything from first aid to communications. By participating you will be in the loop during emergencies. This is a BIG advantage.

• For longer situations you will be partying like it's 1799. Check out Townsends YT site for details on pre industrial revolution living. There are several episodes that cover how our soldiers survived during the revolutionary war, how they made meals from simple ingredients in primative conditions. It all very good stuff and hella better than watching mind numbing network TV.

Townsends
Here is an example:

Some pretty good books can be had on Amazon about survival basics. A plethora of knowledge awaits. Try to get the ones that have been in print since the 70's or 80's. Most of the newer ones are watered down.
The foxfire series is a good series to have on hand.
It is a series of 6 books written a few decades ago. It was a college class that learned the skills from the old Appellation mountain people. Everything from building on rubble and rock foundations to slaughtering and butchering a hog and making soap. Everything in between. May be hard to find. I inherited mine from my grandpa.

tumblr_c66ec4d8bd2b8655435152d607512e75_38983367_500.jpg

What are some things we should be learning to be more prepared?
I would love to take a first aid class and get paramedic like training.
I also think that a ham radio class and license would be great for communications
Want to plant a garden next spring to grow my own vegetables to can
I want to learn how to naturally dry meat for long term storage also.

What do you guys think we should be learning for skills for prepping for anything?

gardening and food preservation is essential right there with first aid.

Good thread.

I'm especially happy that so many people emphasized being a competent generalist, passable tradesperson, flexible of nature, and capable of interacting pleasantly/successfully/non-judgmentally with all types of people. That's a person I'd wanna hang out with anyway.

Well besides basic self defense skills and firearm skills which should be a basic go to in any bad situation you should formulate a series of plans.

I think if you prepare and become some what self sufficient with supplies it wont be long before your normally good willed neighbors (who didn't prepare) decide that you NEED to share with them. Think about how you will handle a situation like this this and how much help you can afford to give in terms of supplies.

Water gathering/storing and purification should be at the top of any list. I purchased my farm it had one thing that I really was looking for, gravity fed spring water. Installed a great purification system and if the power goes out I still have it, less a bunch of pressure.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top