JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This may be the dream of a mad man, but I'd like to know of any somewhat effective .45acp suppressors that are 5" or less(shorter is even better). It's totally fine if they are very thick, as it wont be used with handgun iron sights. Looking into a potential AR45 build for a bedside gun and this would be very useful to me. Thanks!

Silencerco 45k

1630084049485.jpeg

Last Edited:
This may be the dream of a mad man, but I'd like to know of any somewhat effective .45acp suppressors that are 5" or less(shorter is even better). It's totally fine if they are very thick, as it wont be used with handgun iron sights. Looking into a potential AR45 build for a bedside gun and this would be very useful to me. Thanks!
If width doesn't matter oil filters have huge volumes. I know u used to be able to buy legal (stamped) oil filter adapter but I don't know if they sell them anymore (I think name was econ Can or something like that). I have seen videos with accurate db measurements (ie done to mil specs with the right ultra short rise time db meter) which show a loss of 34 db using large oil filters on a 8" 9mm gun, which is as good as any commercial can (probably until the filter wears out I would guess). 34db equates to roughly 90% reduction in perceived sound to human ear. U may be able to buy the adapter for cheap, add a serial number and form 1 it also which would improve your wait time for the stamp by 9-11 months probably. Effective yes, fashionable no ha ha! I assume it's still legal to do those adapter things via a form 1 but I dunno.

3A03EAE7-5F03-4853-A6F0-6366626BFBBE.jpeg

Last Edited:
One thing I've noticed in looking at db levels is the short ones don't have the volume in most cases to be as effective. That tan one posted looks pretty wide though, it may be an exception. Would like to see db levels on that one. That may be the case for oil filters too cuz I haven't seen any db numbers on the short oil filters, only longer ones.

FYI here is a comparison of an itty bitty suppressor vs longer (normal .22 length) suppressor on a pistol .22 The screenshots below are from a Video by mrgunsandgear YouTube channel. Only .22 of course so not directly comparable to .45 probably.

Pistol no suppressor:
A813E9C2-5163-4FA0-8A8B-5200D07F999F.jpeg
Pistol small suppressor (about 50% drop in perceived sound):
3F28BE8B-638D-40C0-AFBE-5CE6BCB4C556.jpeg
Pistol normal size suppressor (about 91% drop in perceived sound):
C32833BB-2BB0-4558-A210-78F454860FEF.jpeg

Depends on what you want it for. HD gun doesn't need to be hollyweird quiet, just needs to not cause a ton of hearing damage.

Depends on what you want it for. HD gun doesn't need to be hollyweird quiet, just needs to not cause a ton of hearing damage.
That makes me think of an interesting test. I wonder how much sound is reduced in other parts of the house as compared to the shooter? Fe amount of sound for another family member in a bedroom far away. Just academic exercise but I might test it out. Got a mil-spec sound meter the other day and it's kind of fun to test this stuff. One thing I noticed is a huge huge drop in sound the farther away u are. Much more than I thought (assuming u are using subsonics so that there is no "sonic boom" that travels a very long way).

That makes me think of an interesting test. I wonder how much sound is reduced in other parts of the house as compared to the shooter? Fe amount of sound for another family member in a bedroom far away. Just academic exercise but I might test it out. Got a mil-spec sound meter the other day and it's kind of fun to test this stuff. One thing I noticed is a huge huge drop in sound the farther away u are. Much more than I thought (assuming u are using subsonics so that there is no "sonic boom" that travels a very long way).
If I remember my physics, sound decreases with the square of the distance.

I'm no expert on Rex suppressors but it looks to me like that is a 30 cal can.
The MG7 is made from .224 all the way to .458 in standard configurations. You can then go to their custom order form and get up to .50 and in the custom configurator you can drop down to as few as 3 baffles for an ultra short configuration or all the way to 15 baffles.

If I remember my physics, sound decreases with the square of the distance.
Yea but surfaces, walls, etc all make a difference too. Even if ground is wet or especially snow makes a huge difference. But yea that's correct overall as I understand it. I was still very surprised at the meter readings not all that far away. Noise was pretty much background levels at the distance I had the meter.

Maybe that's why I never hear all the gangbangers popping off rounds in Pdx every night. I hear and see the police airplane doing 100+ circles as they try to catch them. They caught 3 heavily armed poeple a few days ago who were in some kind of shooting. I know one of them had an AR according to reports from resident whose house was in front of the arrest. Took them a long time to catch them. I always wondered why I only hear shots that are like a block away but never farther.

The MG7 is made from .224 all the way to .458 in standard configurations. You can then go to their custom order form and get up to .50 and in the custom configurator you can drop down to as few as 3 baffles for an ultra short configuration or all the way to 15 baffles.
See, I told you I wasn't expert. :)

I was just going by what it says on their website.

See, I told you I wasn't expert. :)

I was just going by what it says on their website.
MG7 is just their genera name. It has 7 baffles, the MG10 has 10. You can pick either of those two or their MGX which is their modular one in a number of bore diameters. They are pretty unique, they can make you a 12 baffle .17 bore if you wanted them to. They'll custom stack anything really and bore it the same.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top