JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's really frustrating when people want to trade for ammo, but they want to get it at pre covid prices. When I trade ammo for ammo, I don't really care, but I recently was working out a trade for a rifle. The guy refused to give me market value on my ammo for his rifle. We negotiated a bit and he got a great deal. Then he turned around and listed the ammo at current prices. Now I just scroll right past posts where they say they want to trade for ammo or primers, but not at current prices... the prices are what they are... sorry your weapons haven't increased at the same rate so you can screw people... out

Yeah, it stinks doesn't it? You'd expect people to be fair in negotiations. When they aren't, I just move on. Seems rather strange that ammunition in the safe is worth more than cash in the bank these days.....

Why are you frustrated that ammo prices are what they are if you are planning on using "market value" as leverage in ammo that you are trading. That works in your favor. You might just need to negotiate better.

Why are you frustrated that ammo prices are what they are if you are planning on using "market value" as leverage in ammo that you are trading. That works in your favor. You might just need to negotiate better.

I'm frustrated just like everyone else that ammo is expensive and hard to find... but why should it be worth less to someone especially when that it what they want? I see a lot of posts where people want to aquire ammo, but refuse to pay for or trade for what it's worth.

I'm frustrated just like everyone else that ammo is expensive and hard to find... but why should it be worth less to someone especially when that it what they want? I see a lot of posts where people want to aquire ammo, but refuse to pay for or trade for what it's worth.

What it's worth is subjective and both people need to agree. I won't pay classified prices for ammo, so I wouldn't trade for those prices either.

I get it's kind of crappy to trade at a lower rate then see it being flipped. You could always sell the ammo and buy what you want with cash.

It's really frustrating when people want to trade for ammo, but they want to get it at pre covid prices. When I trade ammo for ammo, I don't really care, but I recently was working out a trade for a rifle. The guy refused to give me market value on my ammo for his rifle. We negotiated a bit and he got a great deal. Then he turned around and listed the ammo at current prices. Now I just scroll right past posts where they say they want to trade for ammo or primers, but not at current prices... the prices are what they are... sorry your weapons haven't increased at the same rate so you can screw people... out
One of the problems it that ammo is very easy to determine a market price on. Ammo on the shelf is the same factory ammo someone has sitting at their home. Most stores won't take back ammo anyway so if I can get the ammo from someone here on any discount, I'll take it.

Firearms, however, are very different. Someone can list the same firearm for a whole range of different prices based on desirability of that firearm, the condition it is in, or the age of the firearm. A lot of people sell guns on here they've fired maybe 100 rounds or less through but have to sell at a steep discount because the market is picky with used firearms....I've found it nearly impossible to determine market prices on most firearms because the market is so saturated. Nobody wants another AR or Glock so they aren't going to give you more than half the price of a new one.

I don't know how the deal went down but it's possible that he was overvaluing his rifle in his mind and thought he was being "really fair" about the deal when there's more demand for ammo now than there is for his rifle.

Ammo is expensive and people are angry about it? Huh, never knew.

Really, how many more threads do we need on this topic? No offense to the OP here, but damn.........

Not gunna lie. If I can trade something at a value knowing that I can make a profit on the item I received in the trade than you can bet your A$$ I'll do it. Once the trade is done, it is no longer the business of the other party what I do with their previous owned item. If you were good with the trade you made that should be all that matters.

Ammo is expensive and people are angry about it? Huh, never knew.

Really, how many more threads do we need on this topic? No offense to the OP here, but damn.........
Well people will continue to get their feelings hurt and come to this forum for comfort. Embrace the victimhood. It's cool now days. Lol.

Whats market value though? I just bought 2 boxes of 9mm federal and a 300 count of cci 22hp for $50 at bi mart . Sure they sold quick but.... Value is what u put on it. I needed primers cost I was willing to pay was $100 a brick

Lesson i have learned from similar situations that I've seen over the years...

I will hang onto the ammo and sell it separately. It is up to the new owner to find their own ammo.

1614900255350.png

This reminds me of the housing bubble back a few years. Houses were selling FASTER than we could build them. So this week the 2400 cost $180k. Next week it was $200k. The week after that it was $225k, and so on. In 2008 when the bubble burst, all these people were trying to get out of them and THOUGHT they had a $225k-$275k house. What they HAD was a $180k house that they paid too much for. The same with these high ammo prices, when things settle down, you have lost a lot of money if you have been buying at today's prices.

Reasonable is whatever two people can agree on. Best to leave emotion out of it, as it is a business deal. Does not matter what any person other than those two thinks.

What is a reasonable price for Lamborghinis? I think they being sold at pandemic prices.

Every morning, on Tuesday, around 07:00, I drive by my local bi-mart. Every Tuesday, as stated, there is a line about 15 deep waiting for BI-Mart to open its doors at 09:00. This is the day the ammo delivery happens.
I don't know about any of y'all but, I'd like to be wealthy enough to be one of the individuals who can A. Wait in line for 2 hours @ 37F. B. Wait that long, completely unaware of what might show up for said delivery. C. Do all of this on a weekday.
I've got a job to be at. If I don't see it on the shelf when I'm able to stop in anywhere - Bi-Mart, Cabela's, SW - I don't get to have it. I see posts of some people spending an entire day driving from Hillsboro to Burns, stopping at any place they can think of for ammo. Some of us work for a living and don't have that kind of time. What's all that worth to you?

This reminds me of the housing bubble back a few years. Houses were selling FASTER than we could build them. So this week the 2400 cost $180k. Next week it was $200k. The week after that it was $225k, and so on. In 2008 when the bubble burst, all these people were trying to get out of them and THOUGHT they had a $225k-$275k house. What they HAD was a $180k house that they paid too much for. The same with these high ammo prices, when things settle down, you have lost a lot of money if you have been buying at today's prices.

...If one considers ammunition as simply a commodity, and not both a consumeable & a commodity, vs simply a consumeable.

Buying now just to have. Doesn't make sense to me.

Buying now to have some, and shoot some. Makes sense.

Makes more sense to me to stock up when prices were low, however we shoot a bunch. New folks to the sports didn't know. Now they do.

Folks who've been thru this rodeo, some many times, and could have stocked up on there particulars to continue enjoying there preferred disciplines? Kinda silly.

Again, tho, as I've written before. Everyone's situation is different. Finances, job loss, family loss, health, fitness & any number of things also come into play.

So folks who have been thru this rodeo before, some multiple times, but COULDN'T stock up on there particulars this time? Perfectly reasonable & understandable.

The first box of 9mm I purchased was on sale at Fisherman's Marine. A box of Blazer Brass for $9.99 ($0.19 cpr). I think that was 2009 or 2010 for my S&W Sigma. The worst salesman ever. I could have bought almost anything there but didn't know better. Anyway, 19-25 cpr for 9mm is my current reasonable price. 10+ years on.

Since it will be a good while before we see those prices that held pretty steady for a decade with a few hiccups, reasonable price is based on need. Hopefully there won't be black market prices. Even civil folk readily resort to them. Any service members overseas, maybe to this day knows about it. Cigarettes, gas stamps, socks. Anything to beat the local economy prices.

Wow, your numbers are light compared to what I saw. $170k houses going for $400k+ is how I remember it. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top