JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Glad to see they have a good recoil pad on that beast! :)

As I remember 9mm will fit on a 223 bolt face. So you could rebarrel a single-shot .223 rifle.
It almost fits. The bolt face on my 5.56/223 AR bolt is a little too tight. If I opened it up about .005 to .007 all the way around, I think a 9mm case would fit.

If I was to tally the suggestions I have received, the 9mm shotgun chamber adapter in break open shotgun seemed to be the most popular suggestion.

I wanted to be able to use the rifle at TCGC's BP range which rules out using a shotgun with chamber adapter, unless I convert the shotgun to a rifle.

This solution will come in higher than my desired $200 budget but should meet my needs otherwise.

I can purchase the $72 12ga break open shotgun I posted yesterday in the great deals section. With shipping and FFL fees that will be around $125.
Then I can purchase this 18" 12ga to 9mm rifled adapter for $122.

I will pin and weld the chamber adapter and cut off any barrel length extending past the muzzle of the chamber adapter. The results will be a 9mm break open rifle for around $250?

Last Edited:
Mental masturbation without the payoff. Giving an alcoholic a drink. I'm not his keeper and wouldn't care to be, however I can't help but roll my eyes when I see a new dead end post for the umpteenth time this season, though frankly I don't owe you an explanation much like he doesn't owe one to me
Then whydja ask?

Joe

Actually, after some thought, the easiest thing is to build a single shot open bolt rifle. Use a sten bolt, recoil sprinng, etc. As long as there is no provision for a magazine, maybe it's legal. Maybe.

I think If I were attempting to reconfigure an AR 9 into a single shot I would start here:

1) Stack quarters in the buffer tube to determine the number that would prevent bolt movement but allow the upper and lower to separate when the rear take down pin is removed.
2) Cut a suitable length of tubing or wooden dowel to the above length.
3) Use the rear take down pin to operate the thing like a single shot break action rifle/shotgun!

Smiles,

P.S. Let us know if you try this and if it works satisfactorily.
This was an idea I had a while ago but never tried as it wasn't going to be practical to unthread the ext tube everytime to load a new round. It should serve to test the dowel idea though. If these silicone corks hold the bolt closed then a solid dowel certainly should. I will report back the results.

20220804_075624.jpg

I am going to sacrifice a 5.56 bolt and open it up with the dremel to fit the 9mm case head diameter. I won't have to remove much material off the bolt. I removed the ejector and extractor to do the grinding work. Extractor will be reinstalled but ejector will be left off. Once the bolt can hold a 9mm case then I will try firing a cartridge through the 350 Legend barrel.

If you had the coin, a CMMG 9mm barrel with the radial delay feature, is essentially a 556 barrel extension on a 9mm chamber barrel. Only the bolt in the CMMG has the angles. A regular bolt and that barrel, could mean a 9mm action. Get a side charging bolt, remove the back half of the carrier. Manual cycle, bolt action ish, 9mm.

Bonus points for taking a Troy Industries pump action 556 rifle and replacing the barrel with said CMMG RDB barrel.

If you had the coin, a CMMG 9mm barrel with the radial delay feature, is essentially a 556 barrel extension on a 9mm chamber barrel. Only the bolt in the CMMG has the angles. A regular bolt and that barrel, could mean a 9mm action. Get a side charging bolt, remove the back half of the carrier. Manual cycle, bolt action ish, 9mm.

Bonus points for taking a Troy Industries pump action 556 rifle and replacing the barrel with said CMMG RDB barrel.
That would be a much better set up.

I could not get a good grind in the sharp corners but I think it will be good enough to get a round to chamber. I might have to carve at the corners a bit more with the needle file or utility knife. I was able to get a fresh round to seat to the point that the bolt would lock up in the extension.

Edit: The cartridge is only being held by the extractor so I will only be hand loading these directly onto the bolt. I will also have to flick off the brass after firing since the ejector has been removed. This would be difficult in a regular upper set up but should be relatively easy to do in my break open upper.

20230630_175418.jpg

20230630_175525.jpg

20230630_175702.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show